Joe Ledley reveals why he chose to join Derby County

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:20 am

Wales midfielder Joe Ledley reveals why he chose to join Derby County after summer of doubt and Cardiff City links

By Tom Coleman

Friday 22nd September 2017

Joe Ledley says the chance to work under 'hungry' boss Gary Rowett was key a factor in convincing him to join Derby County.

The 30-year-old completed a free transfer to the Rams on Wednesday, signing a short-term deal that will keep him at the club until January.

The midfielder had previously been without a club after being released by Crystal Palace at the end of last season, with his experience of more than 500 games at club level allegedly leaving him with no shortage of suitors.

Former club Cardiff City did consider a deadline day move for Ledley but opted instead to sign Derby's Craig Bryson and Blackburn's Liam Feeney on loan.

Despite the Welshman not playing any league football since February, Rams boss Rowett clearly believes Ledley's experience makes him the ideal candidate to bolster his midfield options this season, and the former Celtic ace has clearly been impressed by the vision shown by his new boss.

Shortly after completing his move, Ledley told RamsTV : “Gary (Rowett) has been fantastic – he sold the club to me straight away.

"He told me what he wanted from me and I totally agreed with everything he said.

“He’s a young manager, he did well before at Birmingham and he’s come here and is doing a good job.

“He’s hungry and that is the sort of manager that I want to work under."

Derby are currently 15th in the Championship, but are only five points away from the play-off positions.

Ledley acknowledges that expectations in the East Midlands are likely to be high given Derby's relative stature in the Championship, but he insists he is relishing the potential challenge.

“Derby is a big club without a shadow of a doubt," he added.

"I’ve dealt with expectation for most of my life and I’ve played in big games for most of my life, where everyone expects everything, so hopefully now I can just work hard and play as well as I can."
Attachments
CaptureJPG.jpg
CaptureJPG.jpg (33.17 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Joe Ledley reveals why he chose to join Derby County

Postby North Wales Blue » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:37 am

Haha, not wanted at Cardiff City. Joke with him going to Derby!
North Wales Blue

Postby noisycat » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:55 am

Probably because they were the only team to offer him a contract.
noisycat

Postby Bluesman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:57 am

The reason you went to Derby is because no one else wanted you, even your home town club did not want you. Have you ever wondered why the club and so many fans don't want you. Well let me remind you Joe, you ran your contract down and joined Celtic for nothing. A fee for you then would have helped City, but you only had yourself in mind. Hope you are in the team when we meet soon so that we can give you a bad reception. :wave:
Bluesman

Postby dogfound » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:07 pm

bit of a daft headline unless of course he had other suitors offering 14 week contracts.
regarding his interview..
he says all the right things..
dogfound

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:52 pm

dogfound wrote:bit of a daft headline unless of course he had other suitors offering 14 week contracts.

It's not the headline that's daft; it's Joe Ledley for thinking anyone would fall for his rhetoric but I guess he has to keep the Derby faithful happy but they aren't daft either! ;)

By saying what he has and by signing a deal that is effectively a 'loan/trial' out of increasing desperation, Joe has contradicted many of the previous comments attached to him; specifically regarding the amount of options he had and his reluctance to accept an offer to train with City because he "didn't want to be seen as being on trial"

It strikes me that he was released by Palace at the end of his contract after not making many appearances in 2016/17 (ironically, the last coming after a 4-0 defeat to later relegated Sunderland on 4th February) so his 'options' were always going to be lower than his perceptions. That appears to have been borne out in what has actually happened over the summer and into the season

Some of those 'options' were abroad. Not doubting that at all. However, it is known that Joe's preference was to move his family back to the Cardiff area, so it could be argued that moving abroad was never a realistic 'option' and may have been used as a bargaining tool for more local suitors?

Until yesterday, Joe was in the footballing wilderness at a time when he needed to be playing and if that delay was (as has been reported elsewhere) more to do with money than a pure desire to play football (a la Emyr Huws) then nothing has changed since he left here and he must have been frantic counting the missing jelly beans over the last few weeks! :(
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby dogfound » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:44 pm

Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:bit of a daft headline unless of course he had other suitors offering 14 week contracts.

It's not the headline that's daft; it's Joe Ledley for thinking anyone would fall for his rhetoric but I guess he has to keep the Derby faithful happy but they aren't daft either! ;)

By saying what he has and by signing a deal that is effectively a 'loan/trial' out of increasing desperation, Joe has contradicted many of the previous comments attached to him; specifically regarding the amount of options he had and his reluctance to accept an offer to train with City because he "didn't want to be seen as being on trial"

It strikes me that he was released by Palace at the end of his contract after not making many appearances in 2016/17 (ironically, the last coming after a 4-0 defeat to later relegated Sunderland on 4th February) so his 'options' were always going to be lower than his perceptions. That appears to have been borne out in what has actually happened over the summer and into the season

Some of those 'options' were abroad. Not doubting that at all. However, it is known that Joe's preference was to move his family back to the Cardiff area, so it could be argued that moving abroad was never a realistic 'option' and may have been used as a bargaining tool for more local suitors?

Until yesterday, Joe was in the footballing wilderness at a time when he needed to be playing and if that delay was (as has been reported elsewhere) more to do with money than a pure desire to play football (a la Emyr Huws) then nothing has changed since he left here and he must have been frantic counting the missing jelly beans over the last few weeks! :(

pretty standard interview...says all pro Derby things..
not sure why you would think the headline isnt daft...why he CHOSE Derby.....implies Derby over the other reasonable options..maybe its just me,but i dont think there were any...
dogfound

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:47 pm

dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:

not sure why you would think the headline isnt daft...why he CHOSE Derby.....implies Derby over the other reasonable options..maybe its just me,but i dont think there were any...

Only because it was a headline reporting what Joe said and not the full story, which was what Joe said himself :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Steve Zodiak » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:06 pm

I think all players must have the same scriptwriter. Nearly every signing is followed by how the manager is impressive and shares the same ambitions as the player. The club is ambitious and will be serious promotion challengers.
All our players say almost the same thing, as do the players of every other club.
Steve Zodiak

Postby dogfound » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:14 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:I think all players must have the same scriptwriter. Nearly every signing is followed by how the manager is impressive and shares the same ambitions as the player. The club is ambitious and will be serious promotion challengers.
All our players say almost the same thing, as do the players of every other club.

spot on...
i remember seeing a Mansfield programme from the period where Stant had fallen out with Rick Wright and had been sent on loan there..with his future uncertain Stant was saying the exact same things in the prog regarding Mansfield as he was in the Western Mail about Cardiff ...loved the club..great fans..feels at home etc etc..
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:17 pm

Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:

Only because it was a headline reporting what Joe said and not the full story, which was what Joe said himself :ayatollah:

ok..got it...he said he chose derby but it wasnt in the extract above.. :thumbup:
dogfound

Postby noisycat » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:25 pm

I didn't really have a problem with him running his contract down but as soon as he refused to sign a new contract, the previous year,he should have been put on the transfer market and sold.
noisycat

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:29 pm

dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:

ok..got it...he said he chose derby but it wasnt in the extract above.. :thumbup:

No worries :thumbup: :ayatollah:
Sven

Postby rumpo kid » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Is Rowett banned from the Derby canteen?
rumpo kid

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:09 pm

Gary Rowett says he expects Joe Ledley to be fit for Saturday's game, so he could potentially be in the team/squad against us next weekend ;)
Sven

Postby Cantonblu » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:47 pm

I really hope he plays against us for Derby next week,it'll be like us playing a 10 man team.
Cantonblu

Postby maccydee » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:54 am

Bluesman wrote:The reason you went to Derby is because no one else wanted you, even your home town club did not want you. Have you ever wondered why the club and so many fans don't want you. Well let me remind you Joe, you ran your contract down and joined Celtic for nothing. A fee for you then would have helped City, but you only had yourself in mind. Hope you are in the team when we meet soon so that we can give you a bad reception. :wave:

Complete bullsh!t this.
maccydee

Return to General Chat