" NIGEL CLOUGH HAS VOICED HIS ANGER / CARDIFF CITY "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:32 am

Monday 21st August 2017

By Michael Jones

Burton boss Nigel Clough has voiced his anger at being drawn away away to Cardiff City in Tuesday night’s Carabao Cup clash.

The rebranded and new-look League Cup has been structured differently this year to include regional draws between seeded and non-seeded teams.

Burton were placed in the northern region for the first round, but were seeded in the southern region for the second round draw.

Albion were moved from the northern conference to the southern to accommodate Newport County and West Ham United, who are both unable to play home games as their respective pitches are under renovation. Rodney Parade, home to County, is being fitted out with a new turf and the London Stadium is still in the process of being changed back to a football pitch following this summer’s World Championships.

Thus, to avoid the possibility of County and the Hammers drawing each other, County were moved into the Northern section, with Albion filling the vacant space in the southern section.

The move meant that Burton were eventually drawn away to Cardiff, facing a 320-mile round trip.

And Clough, who leads his side to the Cardiff City Stadium on the back of a 2-1 victory over Birmingham, is livid.

"I can't tell you how disappointed we are with the whole process of being in the southern part of the draw," he said.

"Once we were drawn away from home, I think our nearest trip would've been two hours to MK Dons.

"And when you are regionalising a draw, that seems highly unfair on a team.

"I think we've been penalised for things that are nothing to do with us.

"The fact that West Ham and Newport can't play at home, that's got nothing to do with Burton Albion.

"But we are the ones being penalised for it, because we should be in the north part of the draw with the Birmingham teams and the more local teams, for our supporters.”

Clough did not hold back and blasted the organisers for showing a lack of respect.

"I don't think we were consulted on the matter - we were just put in the southern section.

"The lack of respect that they've shown towards us is incredible in the competition."

The Bluebirds beat Burton on the opening day of the season, courtesy of a late strike from Kenneth Zohore. Should they see off the Brewers once more, they will find out who they will meet in the fourth round at 4:30 am on Thursday morning, the draw being held in Beijing at the request of the tournament sponsors.
Attachments
Nigel-Clough.jpg
Nigel-Clough.jpg (28.45 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " NIGEL CLOUGH NOT HAPPY TO BE PLAYING CARDIFF CITY "

Postby Sven » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:40 am

Can totally see Nigel Clough's point here and I'm wondering what criteria was used to literally dump that specific team in to the Southern Group after they started in the North? :?

County (surely?) should have had their pitch sorted out before the season started and West Ham Olympic knew the issues when they moved to the still-in-use athletic stadium! :(
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:54 am

Sven wrote:Can totally see Nigel Clough's point here and I'm wondering what criteria was used to literally dump that specific team in to the Southern Group after they started in the North? :?

County (surely?) should have had their pitch sorted out before the season started and West Ham Olympic knew the issues when they moved to the still-in-use athletic stadium! :(

I agree with you Chris and Clough, it seems very unfair.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Re: " NIGEL CLOUGH HAS VOICED HIS ANGER / CARDIFF CITY "

Postby troobloo3339 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:05 pm

Why oh why didn't they just leave West Ham and Newport in the draw they should've been in
And just allowed who ever they drew have the home advantage
Makes more sence to me than penalising burton
troobloo3339

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:18 pm

Simple solution originally would have put Newport as away team 1st ball and just leave wham out 1st draw, then put wham away next ball simple solution :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:21 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:Why oh why didn't they just leave West Ham and Newport in the draw they should've been in

There is so much common sense in that answer it makes you wonder why someone at the EFL couldn't come up with it. :banghead:
Tony Blue Williams

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:24 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
troobloo3339 wrote:Why oh why didn't they just leave West Ham and Newport in the draw they should've been in

There is so much common sense in that answer it makes you wonder why someone at the EFL couldn't come up with it. :banghead:

Common sense and efl doesn't really go to gether! :laughing6:
pembroke allan

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:41 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:

Common sense and efl doesn't really go to gether! :laughing6:

My way is perfect as troobloos way doesn't take into account of port & ham drawn together. :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Sven » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:37 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Simple solution originally would have put Newport as away team 1st ball and just leave wham out 1st draw, then put wham away next ball simple solution :thumbup:

I like that idea, Allan :thumbup:

Lock your doors and close the blinds...the EFL bods are on their way to steal your ideas! ;) :laughing6:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:35 pm

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Simple solution originally would have put Newport as away team 1st ball and just leave wham out 1st draw, then put wham away next ball simple solution :thumbup:

I like that idea, Allan :thumbup:

Lock your doors and close the blinds...the EFL bods are on their way to steal your ideas! ;) :laughing6:

Sven its so simple as long as explained at beginning of draw no problem! I'd Better put a patent on idea for future reference :laughing6:
pembroke allan

Postby cardiff 74 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:51 pm

I agree with Nigel clough the people running the competition are totally to blame .i also agree with above post as regards newport and West Ham they should have left them in the south part of the draw and if they where drawn at home like in the league they would just play the tie away from unfortunately City are caught in this a little bit because we drew burton albion
cardiff 74

Postby dogfound » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:18 pm

that is what they did with both WHU and NC being drawn home but playing away in the coming round.... ...Newport were in the Southern section for the first round. but in round 2 as an unseeded team they could have been drawn against WHU who are seeded..BOTH could not be away in a fixture between themselves so it was decided to move one to the northern section.
dogfound

Postby Sven » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:59 pm

dogfound wrote:

that is what they did with both WHU and NC being drawn home but playing away in the coming round.... ...Newport were in the Southern section for the first round. but in round 2 as an unseeded team they could have been drawn against WHU who are seeded..BOTH could not be away in a fixture between themselves so it was decided to move one to the northern section.

Effectively but not by design. That was just the way it turned out! :thumbup: ;)
Sven

Postby dogfound » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Effectively but not by design. That was just the way it turned out! :thumbup: ;)

yes the EFL AGREED that BOTH clubs could play their ties away no matter how the draw came out.
and moved one club so that drawing each other became impossible.
so as planned..by design. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
dogfound

Postby cardiff 74 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:23 pm

If newport and West Ham had drawn each other they could have played on a neutral ground and shared the gate money or who ever drew home first they could play say at our but if it had been a draw instead of penaltys and extra time it could have gone to a ground in London
cardiff 74

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:31 pm

dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:

yes the EFL AGREED that BOTH clubs could play their ties away no matter how the draw came out.
so as planned..by design. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

But why burton ? Their the ones who suffered as clough says they were not asked ! My way was simple and didnt facilitate anyone being moved. :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby dogfound » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:36 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:If newport and West Ham had drawn each other they could have played on a neutral ground and shared the gate money or who ever drew home first they could play say at our but if it had been a draw instead of penaltys and extra time it could have gone to a ground in London

with both clubs happy to play a home tie away from home the simple solution was to do what the EFL have done.
Nigel Clough is a bit miffed over being in the Southern section because of distance..?
yet they could have drawn Boro.Newcastle or Sunderland in the northern section which are longer trips than their trip to Cardiff..
dogfound

Postby bluespeers » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:49 pm

Sven wrote:Can totally see Nigel Clough's point here and I'm wondering what criteria was used to literally dump that specific team in to the Southern Group after they started in the North? :?

He has a point, both teams should have their pitches ready by now or reverse their draws, perhaps they should have played each other :bluescarf:
bluespeers

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:31 pm

bluespeers wrote:

He has a point, both teams should have their pitches ready by now or reverse their draws, perhaps they should have played each other :bluescarf:

W ham were tied by contractual issues when took over ground, nport was out of their control as dont own ground it was down to Welsh rugby union who took control of the dragons :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Sven » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:32 pm

dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:

On refection, I see your point! :thumbup: :ayatollah:
Sven

Return to General Chat