Gunnarsson

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gunnarsson

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:09 pm

Ralls is getting all the praise (and rightfully so) as he was brilliant yesterday, but I also thought Gunnarsson was unbelievable! The "Gunnarsson wall" stopped Ruben Neves etc playing through the middle of us. Gunnarsson sat in front of the back 4, broke play up, made tackles and intercepted passes time and time again. Ralls and Damour picked up a lot of loose balls created from Gunnarsson winning the ball back.

I did a post after the Villa game saying the midfield trio of Gunnarsson, Ralls and Damour would be "formidable" this season and I think they proved it yesterday. We now have a midfield working as a cohesive unit, full of energy, able to press opponents, cut off options, win the ball back and then be able to carry the ball forwards to relieve pressure and create openings.
Tonteg Bluebird

Gunnarsson

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Gunnarsson

Postby Ketteringblues » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Ralls is getting all the praise (and rightfully so) as he was brilliant yesterday, but I also thought Gunnarsson was unbelievable! The "Gunnarsson wall" stopped Ruben Neves etc playing through the middle of us. Gunnarsson sat in front of the back 4, broke play up, made tackles and intercepted passes time and time again. Ralls and Damour picked up a lot of loose balls created from Gunnarsson winning the ball back.

I did a post after the Villa game saying the midfield trio of Gunnarsson, Ralls and Damour would be "formidable" this season and I think they proved it yesterday. We now have a midfield working as a cohesive unit, full of energy, able to press opponents, cut off options, win the ball back and then be able to carry the ball forwards to relieve pressure and create openings.

Agree what you say about Ralls and Gunnar.
However, although Damour was my MOM against Villa, I didn't think he played as well yesterday.
Spent far too long on his arse and a stricter ref could have seen his carded challenge in a different colour.
That said, prefer Damour to Tomlin in the middle 3.
Ketteringblues

Postby City Slicker » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:32 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Ralls is getting all the praise (and rightfully so) as he was brilliant yesterday, but I also thought Gunnarsson was unbelievable! The "Gunnarsson wall" stopped Ruben Neves etc playing through the middle of us. Gunnarsson sat in front of the back 4, broke play up, made tackles and intercepted passes time and time again. Ralls and Damour picked up a lot of loose balls created from Gunnarsson winning the ball back.

Absolutely spot on; he's immense. My concern is if he got injured or suspended. However, the midfield as a unit is transformed. From our Achilles Heel for years it's now pivotal in our success. I can't remember when I saw such a good midfield down the city and I believe it can get even better as the season progresses.
City Slicker

Postby llan bluebird » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:42 pm

With Gunnarson being the only international i am more concerned with him over the season. This is a high energy press these guys are employing and its a long season. Most get a week off in September and Oct but he won't.

If we can genuinely afford him I would go for Ledley. Any three from 5 should get us through the Season with Halford as a last 15 min stopper when we need to defend ultra route one when teams are chasing us.
llan bluebird

Postby City Slicker » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:30 pm

llan bluebird wrote:With Gunnarson being the only international i am more concerned with him over the season. This is a high energy press these guys are employing and its a long season. Most get a week off in September and Oct but he won't.

If we can genuinely afford him I would go for Ledley. Any three from 5 should get us through the Season with Halford as a last 15 min stopper when we need to defend ultra route one when teams are chasing us.

Good shout Llan
City Slicker

Postby Bluesman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:53 am

Don't want Ledgey. He deserted us once and that is enough. GUNNERS has been our main man for years.
Bluesman

Postby KBK-13 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:26 am

Before Warnock come in I thought Gunnarson was struggling, since Warnocks arrival though he has been superb. Warnock really does know how to get the best from players
KBK-13

Postby phildavies » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:43 am

One of the best CM in the championship simple as that
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby Double G » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:49 am

allways an 8 or 9 out of 10 for me. does all the dirty work and makes us tick. was my man of the match v wolves on weekend. would hate him out injured as think we may struggle. okeefe and halford as cover ? im not keen on Halford there and undecided on Okeefe still
Double G

Return to General Chat