Homophobia in Football - Cardiff LGBT

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Cardiffblue92 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:49 pm

For the last few years much has been made about the fact there still isn't an openly gay football player in any team in any of the top 4 divisions of league football. This is down to a number of factors we can debate about all day, but what is clear is the need for more support for gay footballers and fans in the sport.

I'm 25, I'm gay and have been a Cardiff supporter for as long as I can remember. In this time I haven't met a single LGBT Cardiff football fan that I know of. Whilst of course I go to to games to support my team, I feel that more needs to be done to make fellow LGBT fans feel more at home at games and to breakdown the 'lad culture' that can often create a atmosphere of fear with LGBT people that prevents them from coming out and being themselves. This in turn will hopefully resonate with the players and will hopefully create a culture of acceptance within the game and make the club even more accepting than it already is.

I wanted to write this post to see how my fellow fans would receive/react to an LGBT fan group at Cardiff, or something similar that would help to create that culture of acceptance within the game. Would it be something you would participate in? Do you think it would be beneficial to you as a fan? How do you feel about homophobia in football? Have you heard or received any homophobic abuse whilst at a Cardiff game? The majority of Premier League clubs now have LGBT groups, with an increasing number of football league teams creating their own. Hopefully this post will create a bit of a discussion! At the end of the day, we're all here to support the team we love and creating an even more welcoming atmosphere will only serve to benefit the fans and the team itself, in my opinion...let me know what you think!

Cheers guys.
Cardiffblue92

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Homophobia in Football - Cardiff LGBT

Postby llan bluebird » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:14 pm

I feel that more needs to be done to make fellow LGBT fans feel more at home at games and to breakdown the 'lad culture' that can often create a atmosphere of fear with LGBT people that prevents them from coming out and being themselves.

I am more than aware of the lad culture, i take two 16 year old girls to the games. But what barriers could the club remove to make it more comfortable for LGBT community ?
llan bluebird

Postby davids » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Cardiffblue92 wrote:For the last few years much has been made about the fact there still isn't an openly gay football player in any team in any of the top 4 divisions of league football. This is down to a number of factors we can debate about all day, but what is clear is the need for more support for gay footballers and fans in the sport.

I'm 25, I'm gay and have been a Cardiff supporter for as long as I can remember. In this time I haven't met a single LGBT Cardiff football fan that I know of. Whilst of course I go to to games to support my team, I feel that more needs to be done to make fellow LGBT fans feel more at home at games and to breakdown the 'lad culture' that can often create a atmosphere of fear with LGBT people that prevents them from coming out and being themselves. This in turn will hopefully resonate with the players and will hopefully create a culture of acceptance within the game and make the club even more accepting than it already is.

I wanted to write this post to see how my fellow fans would receive/react to an LGBT fan group at Cardiff, or something similar that would help to create that culture of acceptance within the game. Would it be something you would participate in? Do you think it would be beneficial to you as a fan? How do you feel about homophobia in football? Have you heard or received any homophobic abuse whilst at a Cardiff game? The majority of Premier League clubs now have LGBT groups, with an increasing number of football league teams creating their own. Hopefully this post will create a bit of a discussion! At the end of the day, we're all here to support the team we love and creating an even more welcoming atmosphere will only serve to benefit the fans and the team itself, in my opinion...let me know what you think!

Cheers guys.

For me personally if you're a Cardiff fan it doesn't matter if you're gay, straight, queer, green, black, from Mars, have one leg or three. We're all Cardiff fans. :ayatollah:

I'm not sure why any particular group of fans need to have a label put on them. Why would you want an LGBT fan group at Cardiff? Why would you want to draw attention to yourselves in that way?

Do you feel threatened in any way at football games by reason of your sexuality? I really hope you haven't but I can honestly say that in over 40 years of going to football I have never seen a fan attacked because of his sexuality.

That's not to say that I have not heard some pretty unsavoury chants based on sexuality (especially against Brighton) every the years but I have heard many unsavoury chants based on other criteria also.

That's not to justify or approve of them in any way at all. It's just that if the LBGT community really wants to be accepted as just another equal part of society (which of course it absolutely should be) then I can't see how setting up a specific LGBT fan group would promote that?

I hope that hasn't offended you or anyone else but to me we already belong to a "fan group" - namely Cardiff City fans, regardless of race, religeon, class,age or sexuality. :bluescarf:
davids

Postby Cardiffblue92 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:33 pm

For me personally if you're a Cardiff fan it doesn't matter if you're gay, straight, queer, green, black, from Mars, have one leg or three. We're all Cardiff fans. :ayatollah:

I'm not sure why any particular group of fans need to have a label put on them. Why would you want an LGBT fan group at Cardiff? Why would you want to draw attention to yourselves in that way?

Do you feel threatened in any way at football games by reason of your sexuality? I really hope you haven't but I can honestly say that in over 40 years of going to football I have never seen a fan attacked because of his sexuality.

That's not to say that I have not heard some pretty unsavoury chants based on sexuality (especially against Brighton) every the years but I have heard many unsavoury chants based on other criteria also.

That's not to justify or approve of them in any way at all. It's just that if the LBGT community really wants to be accepted as just another equal part of society (which of course it absolutely should be) then I can't see how setting up a specific LGBT fan group would promote that?

I hope that hasn't offended you or anyone else but to me we already belong to a "fan group" - namely Cardiff City fans, regardless of race, religeon, class,age or sexuality. :bluescarf:[/quote]

Thanks for your reply, don't worry, no offence taken, it's good to start talking about these issues! I mostly agree with you that in an ideal world there is no need for any specific fan group as everyone is accepted as equal. But I also think it ignores the problem, I'd hope you agree with me that across football as a whole, attitudes towards LGBT people are in the dark ages when compared with other sports. Of course, I'm not saying an LGBT fan group is the answer to the problem and I would love to live in a world where something like that isn't necessary, but for closeted fans I imagine it's very difficult for them to come out and be themselves within the game. Not just fans, right down from the academy up to coaching level. I think it's sadly a case where everyone has an opinion on the issue and most people want something to be done, but no one knows what!
Cardiffblue92

Postby Double G » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:36 pm

isnt loic damour in a relationship with a man ? sure he was open about it
Double G

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:44 pm

I'm the same as Davids. Personally I don't give a hoot whether you are hetrosexual. bisexual, gay, lesbian, transexual, black, white, brown, orange or anything else. I go to watch the football, not discuss someone's sexual preferences. Fans are fans as far as I'm concerned, and don't see the need for anyone to want to stand up and say look at me, I'm straight or gay or whatever. I have nothing against anyone whoever and whatever they are, and will happily discuss football with anybody who wants to talk to me. Would'nt be interested in LGBT any more than I would be interested in a cooking group if I am going to watch a match. That's my personal opinion, and I'm sure people will feel the complete opposite to me, and that is fair enough. I like to think I respect everyone and their opinions, however different they are to mine.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Cardiffblue92 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:45 pm

Double G wrote:isnt loic damour in a relationship with a man ? sure he was open about it

Not that I'm aware of? Haven't heard any mention of it recently...I feel like it would make the back pages as he would be the only openly gay footballer in the top four flights of English football. Correct me if I'm wrong though haha
Cardiffblue92

Postby nubbsy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Excuse me for being blunt, but why should anyone's sexuality come into place at a football game?
nubbsy

Postby Cardiffblue92 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:56 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:I'm the same as Davids. Personally I don't give a hoot whether you are hetrosexual. bisexual, gay, lesbian, transexual, black, white, brown, orange or anything else. I go to watch the football, not discuss someone's sexual preferences. Fans are fans as far as I'm concerned, and don't see the need for anyone to want to stand up and say look at me, I'm straight or gay or whatever. I have nothing against anyone whoever and whatever they are, and will happily discuss football with anybody who wants to talk to me. Would'nt be interested in LGBT any more than I would be interested in a cooking group if I am going to watch a match. That's my personal opinion, and I'm sure people will feel the complete opposite to me, and that is fair enough. I like to think I respect everyone and their opinions, however different they are to mine.

Of course, I think the vast majority of Cardiff fans align with that viewpoint. But just to be clear, I'm absolutely not suggesting it as an opportunity to seek attention. As I've said in an ideal world we wouldn't need to talk about this issue, but I feel like the lad culture within the game is preventing fans from feeling comfortable with themselves at the game. I don't go to Cardiff games to talk about my sexuality either, I want to watch my team play, but knowing that I won't hear an abusive chant or a homophobic slur would make me enjoy the game much more...and also knowing that such things would be appropriately dealt with by stewards would be even better. It's more about changing attitudes towards the issue and I believe that needs to come from the top, down.
Cardiffblue92

Postby Cardiffblue92 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:00 pm

nubbsy wrote:Excuse me for being blunt, but why should anyone's sexuality come into place at a football game?

It shouldn't but it does and currently only in a negative way. If one of our players was in the closet and was more worried about people finding out he was gay than concentrating on his football...wouldn't it be of benefit to everyone for him to know he would be accepted at the club by his teammates and fans?
Cardiffblue92

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Cardiffblue92 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:I'm the same as Davids. Personally I don't give a hoot whether you are hetrosexual. bisexual, gay, lesbian, transexual, black, white, brown, orange or anything else. I go to watch the football, not discuss someone's sexual preferences. Fans are fans as far as I'm concerned, and don't see the need for anyone to want to stand up and say look at me, I'm straight or gay or whatever. I have nothing against anyone whoever and whatever they are, and will happily discuss football with anybody who wants to talk to me. Would'nt be interested in LGBT any more than I would be interested in a cooking group if I am going to watch a match. That's my personal opinion, and I'm sure people will feel the complete opposite to me, and that is fair enough. I like to think I respect everyone and their opinions, however different they are to mine.

Of course, I think the vast majority of Cardiff fans align with that viewpoint. But just to be clear, I'm absolutely not suggesting it as an opportunity to seek attention. As I've said in an ideal world we wouldn't need to talk about this issue, but I feel like the lad culture within the game is preventing fans from feeling comfortable with themselves at the game. I don't go to Cardiff games to talk about my sexuality either, I want to watch my team play, but knowing that I won't hear an abusive chant or a homophobic slur would make me enjoy the game much more...and also knowing that such things would be appropriately dealt with by stewards would be even better. It's more about changing attitudes towards the issue and I believe that needs to come from the top, down.

I think you are right about the lad culture, but I can't say I've heard too much in the way of homophobic comments when I attend games. I think everyone is targeted for a bit of abuse from time to time at these games, and I know that being a City fan I am also referred to by fans of other clubs as a sheepshagger. I don't particularly have a problem with that, even though I have'nt shagged a sheep for well over a month now. As far as I'm concerned, we are all the same, members of the human race who follow football.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Cardiffblue92 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:15 pm

I think you are right about the lad culture, but I can't say I've heard too much in the way of homophobic comments when I attend games. I think everyone is targeted for a bit of abuse from time to time at these games, and I know that being a City fan I am also referred to by fans of other clubs as a sheepshagger. I don't particularly have a problem with that, even though I have'nt shagged a sheep for well over a month now. As far as I'm concerned, we are all the same, members of the human race who follow football.

I do think it's idealistic to think like that though...being called a sheepshagger isn't the same as being called a 'f**got'. For example, racial abuse at football games has been much more effectively stamped out in the last few years, yet homophobic abuse doesn't have anywhere near the same level of consequence. The small minority of football fans who do want to chant racist abuse do so knowing that they will likely face an eviction from the stadium and a significant ban from the club, why isn't this the same for someone shouting a homophobic slur?

Simply saying we're all the same regardless of race, gender, sexuality etc, is something we all like to hear, but in my view it turns a blind eye to this issue unfortunately.
Cardiffblue92

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Cardiffblue92 wrote:

I do think it's idealistic to think like that though...being called a sheepshagger isn't the same as being called a 'f**got'. For example, racial abuse at football games has been much more effectively stamped out in the last few years, yet homophobic abuse doesn't have anywhere near the same level of consequence. The small minority of football fans who do want to chant racist abuse do so knowing that they will likely face an eviction from the stadium and a significant ban from the club, why isn't this the same for someone shouting a homophobic slur?

Simply saying we're all the same regardless of race, gender, sexuality etc, is something we all like to hear, but in my view it turns a blind eye to this issue unfortunately.

I appreciate we have differing points of view, and respect yours. As far as I am concerned, we are all the same regardless of race or gender. I don't have a problem with anyone, and have friends who have different colour skin to me, and also do not share the same sexual preference as I do. That does not make me or them any less human than anyone else. I have been brought up to treat everyone with the same respect and to be courteous to everyone. Possibly that is an outdated way to be brought up but I can't change what I am or how I was taught to respect everybody.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Lengee » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:31 pm

I wrote a thread a while back after the Gareth Thomas programme. It makes no difference to me wherher you are LBGT or hetrosexual.
If you think you need or want an LGBT group then maybe this forum should 'officially ' support the view that race religion sexual orientation etc mAkes no difference ALL CITY FANS WELCOME.
Lengee

Postby llangainbluebird » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Just watch the football.
llangainbluebird

Postby Cardiffblue92 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:40 pm

I appreciate we have differing points of view, and respect yours. As far as I am concerned, we are all the same regardless of race or gender. I don't have a problem with anyone, and have friends who have different colour skin to me, and also do not share the same sexual preference as I do. That does not make me or them any less human than anyone else. I have been brought up to treat everyone with the same respect and to be courteous to everyone. Possibly that is an outdated way to be brought up but I can't change what I am or how I was taught to respect everybody.

Absolutely and please don't think I'm disputing that! My main point is that it's got to the stage now where actions speak louder than words and more needs to be done to stamp out homophobia in the game and make sure fans and players alike can enjoy football regardless of their sexual orientation. The fact that not a single player, coach or manager is openly gay in any of the top four divisions of football in the country says it all for me and when the Chairman of the FA says he wouldn't encourage players to come out...that makes me worry!
Cardiffblue92

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:44 pm

Lengee wrote:I wrote a thread a while back after the Gareth Thomas programme. It makes no difference to me wherher you are LBGT or hetrosexual.
If you think you need or want an LGBT group then maybe this forum should 'officially ' support the view that race religion sexual orientation etc mAkes no difference ALL CITY FANS WELCOME.

But it says"all fans welcome". Surely that means ALL fans. If they were to change the page header to take into account every different person or group who exists, there would'nt be much space for comments. Is this another case of being overly politically correct for the sake of it. Does'nt "all fans" mean every single one of us. Plenty of arguments take place on this forum, but I can't say I've noticed homophobic comments or somebody disrespecting someone else just because they have different colour skin. We are all football fans on here, and we are all equal whatever colour we are and whatever our sexual preferences or gender are.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:05 pm

Cardiffblue92 wrote:

Absolutely and please don't think I'm disputing that! My main point is that it's got to the stage now where actions speak louder than words and more needs to be done to stamp out homophobia in the game and make sure fans and players alike can enjoy football regardless of their sexual orientation. The fact that not a single player, coach or manager is openly gay in any of the top four divisions of football in the country says it all for me and when the Chairman of the FA says he wouldn't encourage players to come out...that makes me worry!

I see your point but how many of them a openly hetrosexual. When I see a player on the pitch I have no idea what they are as I neither know nor am I interested in whether they are gay, transvestite, bisexual or whatever. When a player is interviewed he does'nt start off the interview by stating he is openly hetrosexual or of any other persuasion. Surely it does'nt matter what he is. If he is playing for us, as long as he is a good football player he can come from another planet as far as I am concerned. If certain fans are abusing people and are bringing homophobia into the game, I agree that needs to be stamped out.
Steve Zodiak

Postby llan bluebird » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:32 pm

Cardiffblue92 wrote:

Still unsure of what you believe the remedy is ?

Lets take US baseball. I have been to AAA minor league and major league games and there is no chanting or lad culture but there are no openly gay professional baseball players either. Why's that ?

i am a 50 year old, white, greying, working class, over weight heterosexual and i believe that society fully accepts and integrates LBGT people.
Now those immature loud, drunk on the cusp of causing trouble 20 somethings hanging around the bar are better left alone.
llan bluebird

Postby Cardiffblue92 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:32 pm

I see your point but how many of them a openly hetrosexual. When I see a player on the pitch I have no idea what they are as I neither know nor am I interested in whether they are gay, transvestite, bisexual or whatever. When a player is interviewed he does'nt start off the interview by stating he is openly hetrosexual or of any other persuasion. Surely it does'nt matter what he is. If he is playing for us, as long as he is a good football player he can come from another planet as far as I am concerned. If certain fans are abusing people and are bringing homophobia into the game, I agree that needs to be stamped out.

I think we're singing different hymns from the same hymn book here haha. Of course it doesn't matter what or who you are, but it's a fact that there are players out there who have not yet come out as gay and are truly struggling with it...they do not feel they'll be accepted by the footballing community if they came out. Can you imagine being one of those players, facing that level of fear of scrutiny? I imagine many fans are in similar situations. It's why players like Robbie Rogers left the country to come out. I'm not saying we need to be talking more about homosexuality at football games...was race the main topic of conversation when the 'lets kick racism out of football' campaign started? No. That campaign however made it very well known to fans that racism at football games would absolutely not be tolerated. Football will always be the focus of football...but currently very little is being done to make sure everyone feels accepted in the game from an LGBT viewpoint.
Cardiffblue92

Postby Cardiffblue92 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Lets take US baseball. I have been to AAA minor league and major league games and there is no chanting or lad culture but there are no openly gay professional baseball players either. Why's that ?

i am a 50 year old, white, greying, working class, over weight heterosexual and i believe that society fully accepts and integrates LBGT people.
Now those immature loud, drunk on the cusp of causing trouble 20 somethings hanging around the bar are better left alone.

I don't have the answer to the problem, but I think the first port of call is to actually recognise it as a problem. I agree that from a legal point of view, LGBT people are pretty much on exactly the same level as everyone else now. To me it's about changing social attitudes, which in time will come. However football seems to be one of the few sectors of society where social attitudes towards LGBT people are a fair few years behind other sectors. I'm not saying all football fans are homophobic...far from it! But the facts are the facts...there are closeted gay footballers and fans out there that are facing scrutiny if they come out and something needs to be done to change that.
Cardiffblue92

Postby llan bluebird » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:48 pm

Cardiffblue92 wrote:

I don't have the answer to the problem, but I think the first port of call is to actually recognise it as a problem. I agree that from a legal point of view, LGBT people are pretty much on exactly the same level as everyone else now. To me it's about changing social attitudes, which in time will come. However football seems to be one of the few sectors of society where social attitudes towards LGBT people are a fair few years behind other sectors. I'm not saying all football fans are homophobic...far from it! But the facts are the facts...there are closeted gay footballers and fans out there that are facing scrutiny if they come out and something needs to be done to change that.

Perhaps its because i am not gay, but whats the obsession with coming out. Isn't this something you do with those close to you, not a 100 million judgemental strangers ?
llan bluebird

Postby Cardiffblue92 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:05 pm

Perhaps its because i am not gay, but whats the obsession with coming out. Isn't this something you do with those close to you, not a 100 million judgemental strangers?

If you were a closeted gay man hearing your mates say "how could it be natural for men to love other men, isn't it disgusting", or hear your coach say "don't pass the ball like a f***ing f****ot", or hear your fans shout "you're a f***ing queer"...how would you react? It's clear that people like that do not approve of homosexuality...would you confront them about it? Think about it, if you did could there be a chance your teammates would turn on you, your coach would drop you from the team? Absolutely. This is why players and fans are scared to come out. It's not because we want to seek attention its because we want to be accepted for who we are. Once society changes it's attitudes towards the issue...hopefully one day there would be no need to actually come out as people would just get on with life safe in the knowledge they wouldn't be scrutinised for their sexuality...currently that is not the case.
Cardiffblue92

Postby llan bluebird » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:40 pm

Cardiffblue92 wrote:
Perhaps its because i am not gay, but whats the obsession with coming out. Isn't this something you do with those close to you, not a 100 million judgemental strangers?

If you were a closeted gay man hearing your mates say "how could it be natural for men to love other men, isn't it disgusting", or hear your coach say "don't pass the ball like a f***ing f****ot", or hear your fans shout "you're a f***ing queer"...how would you react? It's clear that people like that do not approve of homosexuality...would you confront them about it? Think about it, if you did could there be a chance your teammates would turn on you, your coach would drop you from the team? Absolutely. This is why players and fans are scared to come out. It's not because we want to seek attention its because we want to be accepted for who we are. Once society changes it's attitudes towards the issue...hopefully one day there would be no need to actually come out as people would just get on with life safe in the knowledge they wouldn't be scrutinised for their sexuality...currently that is not the case.

To my knowledge most of the worlds major religions do not approve of homosexuality (I may be wrong but Catholics & Muslims don't) so we have a long way to go. But again to my knowledge there is nobody down the city condoning homosexuality so we are half way there. :thumbup:

I deal with a lot of millennials and this need to be accepted and approved by everyone is totally unobtainable and stresses your generation out. Why do you give a fcuk what anybody else thinks or feels ?

I have a rule, I only listen to the opinions of those i personally respect, that is about 5 people.

I don't think we are going to get any professional footballer to publicly come out for a while unless its an elite player. They are all covered by individual contracts and its difficult to gain one. Look at the Ched Evans debate on here. The guy has been declared innocent, but i wouldn't offer him a contract because of all the media buzz it causes. Its an unwanted distraction.

Lets say Ched is the first openly gay footballer. Do you clap him when he comes on ? Do we boo him, what happens if he scores against us, do you cheer him in the middle of the Canton stand ? What happens if he scores and blows kisses to us (ala Robin Friday) whats our (crowd) response ?

The first couple will be a circus, so unless you are Ronaldo, Bale or Neymar i'd keep it quiet.

I'd say 99% would give a fcuk, but you'll never please that 1%

good debate though
llan bluebird

Postby llan bluebird » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:51 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
Cardiffblue92 wrote:

To my knowledge most of the worlds major religions do not approve of homosexuality (I may be wrong but Catholics & Muslims don't) so we have a long way to go. But again to my knowledge there is nobody down the city condoning homosexuality so we are half way there. :thumbup:

I deal with a lot of millennials and this need to be accepted and approved by everyone is totally unobtainable and stresses your generation out. Why do you give a fcuk what anybody else thinks or feels ?

I have a rule, I only listen to the opinions of those i personally respect, that is about 5 people.

I don't think we are going to get any professional footballer to publicly come out for a while unless its an elite player. They are all covered by individual contracts and its difficult to gain one. Look at the Ched Evans debate on here. The guy has been declared innocent, but i wouldn't offer him a contract because of all the media buzz it causes. Its an unwanted distraction.

Lets say Ched is the first openly gay footballer. Do you clap him when he comes on ? Do we boo him, what happens if he scores against us, do you cheer him in the middle of the Canton stand ? What happens if he scores and blows kisses to us (ala Robin Friday) whats our (crowd) response ?

The first couple will be a circus, so unless you are Ronaldo, Bale or Neymar i'd keep it quiet.

I'd say 99% would n't give a fcuk, but you'll never please that 1%

good debate though

Missed a word :(
llan bluebird

Postby paulh_85 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:47 am

Double G wrote:isnt loic damour in a relationship with a man ? sure he was open about it

if your gonna say something like this you gotta back it up surely?
paulh_85

Postby dogfound » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:53 am

{ break down the lad culture } why cant you just go and enjoy the football and accept people for who they are without wanting to change things.?

this ladophobia does my head in.
dogfound

Postby Cardiffblue92 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:35 am

dogfound wrote:{ break down the lad culture } why cant you just go and enjoy the football and accept people for who they are without wanting to change things.?

I do go to enjoy the football, but I think there's a clear lack of acceptance that there is a problem here. In fairness everyone on this post has been nothing but accepting of other people at the club and I feel this reflects the club as a whole. But in football generally there is a clear problem where LGBT players and other fans aren't comfortable being themselves and for some reason people don't want to accept that it is a problem. 'Lads' aren't the ones being discriminated against here.
Cardiffblue92

Postby Steve Zodiak » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:24 am

Cardiffblue92 wrote:
dogfound wrote:{ break down the lad culture } why cant you just go and enjoy the football and accept people for who they are without wanting to change things.?

I do go to enjoy the football, but I think there's a clear lack of acceptance that there is a problem here. In fairness everyone on this post has been nothing but accepting of other people at the club and I feel this reflects the club as a whole. But in football generally there is a clear problem where LGBT players and other fans aren't comfortable being themselves and for some reason people don't want to accept that it is a problem. 'Lads' aren't the ones being discriminated against here.

Could you give us an example of when and in what way you have been discriminated against at the CCS simply because of who you are. Could it be the case that LGBT players don't see the need to tell the world of their sexual preferences, and could it also be that the majority of us fans are not in the slightest bit interested in their sexual preferences?
Steve Zodiak

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:11 pm

Cardiffblue92 wrote:Thanks for your reply, don't worry, no offence taken, it's good to start talking about these issues! I mostly agree with you that in an ideal world there is no need for any specific fan group as everyone is accepted as equal. But I also think it ignores the problem, I'd hope you agree with me that across football as a whole, attitudes towards LGBT people are in the dark ages when compared with other sports. Of course, I'm not saying an LGBT fan group is the answer to the problem and I would love to live in a world where something like that isn't necessary, but for closeted fans I imagine it's very difficult for them to come out and be themselves within the game. Not just fans, right down from the academy up to coaching level. I think it's sadly a case where everyone has an opinion on the issue and most people want something to be done, but no one knows what!

What exactly do you class as the 'dark ages?'. To be absolutely honest with you the last thing on my mind when I attend football match is why aren't there more gay players or why am I not sitting next to an openly gay fan?

Frankly I couldn't care less about it as I go to a football matches to watch games of football and not to campaign for social change.

I would also add I have never witnessed open hostility towards anyone because of their sexuality. There are the Brighton chants but they are said in banter the same as when the linesman's eyesight is questioned, is that really causing offence to every fan wearing glasses in the stadium?

The 'problem' these days is everyone has the potential to be offended about something. Maybe the answer is for fans like you to stop inventing problems which aren't there. If a player or fan wants his sexuality to be known then they will do that but then they then also have a responsibility to stop making other fans feel uncomfortable because they are afraid to open their mouths in case something is taken out of context.
Tony Blue Williams

Next

Return to General Chat