Homophobia in Football - Cardiff LGBT

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Homophobia in Football - Cardiff LGBT

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:15 pm

Cardiffblue92 wrote:
dogfound wrote:{ break down the lad culture } why cant you just go and enjoy the football and accept people for who they are without wanting to change things.?

this ladophobia does my head in.

I do go to enjoy the football, but I think there's a clear lack of acceptance that there is a problem here. In fairness everyone on this post has been nothing but accepting of other people at the club and I feel this reflects the club as a whole. But in football generally there is a clear problem where LGBT players and other fans aren't comfortable being themselves and for some reason people don't want to accept that it is a problem. 'Lads' aren't the ones being discriminated against here.

Again I point out that the 'problem' is mostly with you. You can't moan about others not accepting your way of life when you won't show the same level of tolerance towards others.
Tony Blue Williams

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby Scruffy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:13 pm

I dont think many fans care bout Sexuality of the fellow fans or players and in my opinion nor should they. Of course you get the odd chant at Brighton which if I'm correct have been punished or put under investigation.

But I dont believe football in this country is in the dark ages over sexual preferences and we are up to date with the rest of society. In the ten years ive been going down I think women get more abuse than the LGBT community and even thats calm down in the past couple of years.

The issue is not everyone's going to be accepting, everyone's got there own views but in my honest opinion the vast majority of are accepting
Scruffy

Postby Scruffy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:26 pm

Scruffy wrote:I dont think many fans care bout Sexuality of the fellow fans or players and in my opinion nor should they, theyre here to watch a game of football after all. Of course you get the odd chant at Brighton which if I'm correct have been punished or put under investigation.

But I dont believe football in this country is in the dark ages over sexual preferences and we are up to date with the rest of society. In the ten years ive been going down I think women get more abuse than the LGBT community and even thats calm down in the past couple of years.

The issue is not everyone's going to be accepting, everyone's got there own views but in my honest opinion the vast majority of are accepting

Missed out a part
Scruffy

Postby Cardiffblue92 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:58 pm

What exactly do you class as the 'dark ages?'. To be absolutely honest with you the last thing on my mind when I attend football match is why aren't there more gay players or why am I not sitting next to an openly gay fan?

Frankly I couldn't care less about it as I go to a football matches to watch games of football and not to campaign for social change.

I would also add I have never witnessed open hostility towards anyone because of their sexuality. There are the Brighton chants but they are said in banter the same as when the linesman's eyesight is questioned, is that really causing offence to every fan wearing glasses in the stadium?

The 'problem' these days is everyone has the potential to be offended about something. Maybe the answer is for fans like you to stop inventing problems which aren't there. If a player or fan wants his sexuality to be known then they will do that but then they then also have a responsibility to stop making other fans feel uncomfortable because they are afraid to open their mouths in case something is taken out of context.

Again I'll say that I think Cardiff is very accepting as a club and I have never been subject to abuse and like everyone else I go to games to watch the football, not talk about my sexuality. I was only writing about the idea of an LGBT group as there are lots of clubs who are now creating their own and wanted to see what our fans thought of the idea. I was hoping that would create a discussion more about the game as a whole, not just at Cardiff.

In regards to what you said about players coming out...that is not the case at all. There is not a single gay player in any professional league in the country, statistically that simply doesn't add up. When you have agents and people like Amal Fashanu coming forward to say they know of professional players who are gay and who are depressed and live in fear for people finding out their identity...surely that's a problem isn't it? What if one of those players turned out to be one of ours, would you support that player or would you tell him he's part of the problem because he's too easily offended?
Cardiffblue92

Postby Steve Zodiak » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:18 pm

Cardiffblue92 wrote:
What exactly do you class as the 'dark ages?'. To be absolutely honest with you the last thing on my mind when I attend football match is why aren't there more gay players or why am I not sitting next to an openly gay fan?

Frankly I couldn't care less about it as I go to a football matches to watch games of football and not to campaign for social change.

I would also add I have never witnessed open hostility towards anyone because of their sexuality. There are the Brighton chants but they are said in banter the same as when the linesman's eyesight is questioned, is that really causing offence to every fan wearing glasses in the stadium?

The 'problem' these days is everyone has the potential to be offended about something. Maybe the answer is for fans like you to stop inventing problems which aren't there. If a player or fan wants his sexuality to be known then they will do that but then they then also have a responsibility to stop making other fans feel uncomfortable because they are afraid to open their mouths in case something is taken out of context.

Again I'll say that I think Cardiff is very accepting as a club and I have never been subject to abuse and like everyone else I go to games to watch the football, not talk about my sexuality. I was only writing about the idea of an LGBT group as there are lots of clubs who are now creating their own and wanted to see what our fans thought of the idea. I was hoping that would create a discussion more about the game as a whole, not just at Cardiff.

In regards to what you said about players coming out...that is not the case at all. There is not a single gay player in any professional league in the country, statistically that simply doesn't add up. When you have agents and people like Amal Fashanu coming forward to say they know of professional players who are gay and who are depressed and live in fear for people finding out their identity...surely that's a problem isn't it? What if one of those players turned out to be one of ours, would you support that player or would you tell him he's part of the problem because he's too easily offended?

I am sure there a plenty of gay footballers out there. I expect there are some who like dressing up in their wife's clothes, some who go to wife swap parties, and some who are into bondage. Does'nt mean they have to come out and tell the whole world about their private lives. They do a job on the pitch, go home, and what they do in their private lives is entirely their business, not mine or any of the other fans who follow them in the game. If anyone asks me the question, I would say I am hetrosexual and have a wife, but I am not going to go around announcing it to the world or make any big fuss about it. I think most of society in this country is generally tolerant and accepting to all colours, gender and sexuality. I sometimes think that people look for a problem that is'nt there. I may have been lucky, but in all my years of following the club, I have yet to hear someone being personally attacked because of their sexuality. I am not saying the problem does'nt exist, but I wonder if it is being turned into something bigger than needs be.
Steve Zodiak

Postby RV Casual » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:34 pm

I see the Jack is back then
RV Casual

Postby wales1927 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:59 pm

I'd say 90% of premiership players are gay the way they act like camp little divas :ayatollah:
wales1927

Postby Bluebird1977 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Each to there own although I don't give a toss whos gays and whos not tbh just a game off football. Why the issues needs to be pressed constantly ive no idea. To me its just boring going on about it as nobody seems to give a toss bar the gay fans or gay players whoever they are who go on about it like everyone needs to know there gay as if its a plea for attension :bluescarf:
:bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: “We will dust ourselves down and go again” :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Bluebird1977

Postby dogfound » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:24 pm

Cardiffblue92 wrote:
dogfound wrote:{ break down the lad culture } why cant you just go and enjoy the football and accept people for who they are without wanting to change things.?

I do go to enjoy the football, but I think there's a clear lack of acceptance that there is a problem here. In fairness everyone on this post has been nothing but accepting of other people at the club and I feel this reflects the club as a whole. But in football generally there is a clear problem where LGBT players and other fans aren't comfortable being themselves and for some reason people don't want to accept that it is a problem. 'Lads' aren't the ones being discriminated against here.

who doesnt accept you?..move seats maybe..im sure many have because they dont like who they are sat next to without claiming fartophobia..talkshitophobia.
dogfound

Postby rumpo kid » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:30 pm

The only thing most people want to celebrate at the footy is a goal or win.

Saturday afternoon is for sport, not politics or social issues - people go to get away from all that stuff.
rumpo kid

Postby welshrarebit » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:35 pm

I am in the don't care group. I would welcome anyone and everyone regardless of sexuality, race, gender, trans gender, political inclination. It is more important to me if you are a nice person or not. I would like to think we have moved beyond judging people on such grounds. That being said, as a heterosexual white male, the press would indicate I am not best placed to judge! I will just keep trying to be nice to people and to the OP - you would be welcome sat next to me.
welshrarebit

Postby splottbluebird48 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:00 am

What I find astonishing is in 2017 Football still does not have openly gay players, yet Keegan Hirst has come out in Rugby League
Kudos to him, he has been accepted for who he is rather than what he is.
splottbluebird48

Postby Jock » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:36 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Cardiffblue92 wrote:

Could you give us an example of when and in what way you have been discriminated against at the CCS simply because of who you are. Could it be the case that LGBT players don't see the need to tell the world of their sexual preferences, and could it also be that the majority of us fans are not in the slightest bit interested in their sexual preferences?

Exactly, Chad Evans liked giving oral pleasure to ladies after his mates porridge gun had gone off. If it hadn't been for the court case we'd all have been blissfully unaware of this. undoubtedly there are players partial to shiteing on the chest scenarios but because they're not shouting from the rooftops about what floats their boats no one knows or cares. Why not just watch the City
Jock

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:42 pm

The thing is...unless you come out and say your gay, in most circumstances it is assumed that your heterosexual (well that has been the case for many years up until recently). So heterosexual people have no reason, no pressure to have to tell people. But for gay people it can be a big deal! Being in the closet (one of my best mates were for years) can be one of the worst places to be! You can't be yourself, be with people you want to share your life with, or just be yourself, your whole life can feel like a lie. Obviously there is the fear then as how people will respond when you tell them your gay! Most people yeah say couldn't care less but don't forget that it wasn't that long ago that many gay people were bullied and looked down on in society - these memories maybe still fresh in a gay persons mind so the thought of coming out could be very scary! I've seen a few comments made of the years in going to football matches and they could well be offensive. Like someone mentioned above there are probably lots of gay footballers throughout the leagues and they should feel that coming out would be safe but I can u der stand why they haven't and feel it's very sad. I personally don't think a big deal is being made out of it - it's been ignored for too long and should be addressed. thankfully they are starting to do something bout it and at some point in the future when players can feel safe to come out it won't be such a big deal then!
Once a blue always a blue44

Previous

Return to General Chat