' Anthony Pilkington ? '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Anthony Pilkington ? '

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:34 pm

Can Anthony Pilkington find the consistency needed to become of Neil Warnock’s main men?

By Jamie Kemble

Tuesday 25th July 2017

Anthony Pilkington has a big season ahead of him with Cardiff City despite being linked with a move away over the summer.

The forward was seen as one of the fringe players who could face an exit over the summer, but he is set to remain at the club this season.

The suggested exit of Craig Noone and Declan John points to Pilkington sticking around for another season at least.

And the pressure will be on for the Republic of Ireland international who has flattered to deceive during the last 18 months at Cardiff City.

Recurring injuries have played a big part in Pilkington’s inconsistency with the Bluebirds and his failure to find his best position certainly hasn’t helped.

His best season arrived under Russell Slade in 2015/16 when he lead the Bluebirds unsuccessful bid to secure a play-off spot.

Pilkington was deployed as the main striker for the majority of the season following the exit of Kenwyne Jones.

The 29-year-old showed his quality under Slade and there’s no doubt the former boss got the best out of him during that season.

However, it quickly became clear that he wasn’t a full-time option in the striker role and his best position lay somewhere behind the striker, or out on the wing.

Pilkington enjoyed a couple of brilliant moments during last season with stunning goals at Fulham and Bristol City, but that’s been his story with Cardiff.

He’s an excellent technical player and he is capable of scoring special goals, but Cardiff don’t see it enough.

Injury again played its part last season, especially under Neil Warnock and the healthy competition from Harris, Noone and Hoilett meant he would struggle to find a way back in.

And that competition will be even stronger this season with new signing Nathaniel Mendez-Laing impressing in pre-season, and Lee Tomlin likely to be first choice for a role in behind the striker.

Pilkington desperately needs a season of full fitness if he wants to guarantee himself a starting spot and the rest is up to him.

Neil Warnock will surely help his case given his track record of getting the best out of players, especially attacking players.

There’s no doubt Pilkington is capable of being a key man in Cardiff’s promotion charge, but he now desperately needs a season of consistent performances if he wants to become one of Cardiff City’s main men again.
Attachments
24941724599_86da77b411_z.jpg
24941724599_86da77b411_z.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

' Anthony Pilkington ? '

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' Anthony Pilkington ? '

Postby langstoneBlue » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Will be sold before the window ends imho, I can't see how he fits in a NW team and the formations he wants to play. I guess at a stretch a backup to zohore, but would be make sense moving him on and bringing in a young hungry Centre Forward.
His wages do not justify is value to the squad
langstoneBlue

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:28 pm

langstoneBlue wrote:Will be sold before the window ends imho, I can't see how he fits in a NW team and the formations he wants to play. I guess at a stretch a backup to zohore, but would be make sense moving him on and bringing in a young hungry Centre Forward.
His wages do not justify is value to the squad

The Pilkinton of 18 months ago would be a massive asset....could be a big player next season if back to his best

For some reason was completely out of sorts last year
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby Ebbw Blue » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:53 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Can Anthony Pilkington find the consistency needed to become of Neil Warnock’s main men?

By Jamie Kemble

Tuesday 25th July 2017

Anthony Pilkington has a big season ahead of him with Cardiff City despite being linked with a move away over the summer.

The forward was seen as one of the fringe players who could face an exit over the summer, but he is set to remain at the club this season.

The suggested exit of Craig Noone and Declan John points to Pilkington sticking around for another season at least.

And the pressure will be on for the Republic of Ireland international who has flattered to deceive during the last 18 months at Cardiff City.

Recurring injuries have played a big part in Pilkington’s inconsistency with the Bluebirds and his failure to find his best position certainly hasn’t helped.

His best season arrived under Russell Slade in 2015/16 when he lead the Bluebirds unsuccessful bid to secure a play-off spot.

Pilkington was deployed as the main striker for the majority of the season following the exit of Kenwyne Jones.

The 29-year-old showed his quality under Slade and there’s no doubt the former boss got the best out of him during that season.

However, it quickly became clear that he wasn’t a full-time option in the striker role and his best position lay somewhere behind the striker, or out on the wing.

Pilkington enjoyed a couple of brilliant moments during last season with stunning goals at Fulham and Bristol City, but that’s been his story with Cardiff.

He’s an excellent technical player and he is capable of scoring special goals, but Cardiff don’t see it enough.

Injury again played its part last season, especially under Neil Warnock and the healthy competition from Harris, Noone and Hoilett meant he would struggle to find a way back in.

And that competition will be even stronger this season with new signing Nathaniel Mendez-Laing impressing in pre-season, and Lee Tomlin likely to be first choice for a role in behind the striker.

Pilkington desperately needs a season of full fitness if he wants to guarantee himself a starting spot and the rest is up to him.

Neil Warnock will surely help his case given his track record of getting the best out of players, especially attacking players.

There’s no doubt Pilkington is capable of being a key man in Cardiff’s promotion charge, but he now desperately needs a season of consistent performances if he wants to become one of Cardiff City’s main men again.

Be good to get him and Noone off the wage bill, their performances don't justify their wages.
Ebbw Blue

Postby valleyrambill » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:54 pm

He is not a striker in fairness to him . I like Pilks can pop up with a few goals and good ones too but he is not a striker however he saved us when he stepped in that position as we didn't have a striker
[color=#0040BF][/color]
valleyrambill

Postby JimmyJazz » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:07 am

I'm a big one for team loyalty, but this fella stretches me to the absolute limit with some of his arrogance and selfishness - not all the time obviously, but boy can he get under my skin like no other City player I can recall, even the useless ones which this boy certainly isn't.

Worst example for me was when he was trying to take the ball out of Joe Ralls' hands when we were awarded a penalty at home last season - Joe was the designated taker as Whitts was out, but it was all about Pilkington for his own sake. After that he lost what scrap of support I could muster.

On the other hand I like Noone despite his failings, can't help liking him even when he's playing awful.

CTID
My father missed the cup final in 1927 as my grandad only had 2 tickets, and my Dad had an older brother!
JimmyJazz

Postby 2blue2handle » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:21 pm

JimmyJazz wrote:I'm a big one for team loyalty, but this fella stretches me to the absolute limit with some of his arrogance and selfishness - not all the time obviously, but boy can he get under my skin like no other City player I can recall, even the useless ones which this boy certainly isn't.

Worst example for me was when he was trying to take the ball out of Joe Ralls' hands when we were awarded a penalty at home last season - Joe was the designated taker as Whitts was out, but it was all about Pilkington for his own sake. After that he lost what scrap of support I could muster.

On the other hand I like Noone despite his failings, can't help liking him even when he's playing awful.

CTID

Don't disagree about either player.
2blue2handle

Return to General Chat