Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Just one question!

Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:54 am

How do you know that gay men have not had sex with men for three months, if they ask them, how do you know they are telling the truth? This is ridiculous and dangerous there is no way to prove what they say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-40711341

Re: Just one question!

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:12 am

Igovernor wrote:How do you know that gay men have not had sex with men for three months, if they ask them, how do you know they are telling the truth? This is ridiculous and dangerous there is no way to prove what they say.

the rule as it stands is 12 months...{with no proof of truth } ..

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:32 am

Don't they test the samples before using them? I always assumed they must do but I'm not sure?

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:44 am

Gay men are probably NO more likely to contract a blood bourne virus than anyone else nowadays. Years ago they did not receive the same support in terms of sexual health education (at school for example and in adulthood) therefore they were more at risk but always remember that viruses are not a 'gay' virus as some used to believe. What happens if 2 straight people had sex a few months back and one has a virus but doesn't realise? I would imagine that in general people would be responsible if they were to donate blood and state the facts of their sexual encounters etc. just saying like.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:10 pm

nubbsy wrote:Don't they test the samples before using them? I always assumed they must do but I'm not sure?

they do but i thing some viruses dont show up straight away and blood has a limited shelflife.

but the question was about honesty. which id imagine is exactly the same if your claiming you havent had sx for 3 months as 12 months..liars lie.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:33 pm

dogfound wrote:
nubbsy wrote:Don't they test the samples before using them? I always assumed they must do but I'm not sure?

they do but i thing some viruses dont show up straight away and blood has a limited shelflife.

but the question was about honesty. which id imagine is exactly the same if your claiming you havent had sx for 3 months as 12 months..liars lie.

Don't know why they'd lie as there's no motivation to do it apart from generosity. And also, don't they freeze it?

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:47 pm

nubbsy wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Don't know why they'd lie as there's no motivation to do it apart from generosity. And also, don't they freeze it?

That's my view. You would think that most Gay men won't want to lie about their circumstances and most would understand the risks involved. The only reason for lying IMO would be maliciousness and that occurs in all parts of society.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:37 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
dogfound wrote:

That's my view. You would think that most Gay men won't want to lie about their circumstances and most would understand the risks involved. The only reason for lying IMO would be maliciousness and that occurs in all parts of society.

Yeah same goes for strait people having sex (although a much lower risk of blood related stds), steroid users, drug users etc etc.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:21 pm

nubbsy wrote:
dogfound wrote:

not sure about the freeze bit.. my liars lie remark was because the OP asked how do you know they are telling the truth...that surely goes for any claim of any length of time...i dont see that anyone would lie either but eh oh.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Plasma is taken and frozen for upto one year, red cells will last 35 days in a bag in a fridge after processing and the platelets have a 5 day shelf life. All samples are run before blood is sent to be used in hospitals. The system is probably as safe as it's ever going to be until someone manages to make some sort of star trek scan type thing. The whole blood donating process is totally based on honesty anyone can lie about things to be able to donate.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:40 pm

Igovernor wrote:How do you know that gay men have not had sex with men for three months, if they ask them, how do you know they are telling the truth? This is ridiculous and dangerous there is no way to prove what they say.

More work for Jeremy Kyle and his lie dictator ;)

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:01 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:

More work for Jeremy Kyle and his lie dictator ;)

Nice one :lol:

Mind you if Roathy said he hadn't had sex for 3 months I'd believe him considering he has spent all of the last 3 years of his life posting on this board......