Globalisation of British football

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby benni3 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi everyone, I am a final year geography student at Queens University Belfast who is looking for insightful responses from the perspective of local fans on the issue of globalisation in football. Any responses would be much appreciated as it is a vital part of my report.

By this I am talking about commercialization of football clubs, the effects of lucrative TV deals, opinions on foreign ownership and direct investment and what can be seen as the erosion of Britain's dominant sporting culture. I want to generate a discussion on how local supporters of Cardiff City have seen their club develop over the past 25 years since the restructuring of the English football league system.

With Sky obtaining the broadcasting rights to the league, the changes brought about through the Taylor Report in 1990 and the creation of the 'Premier League', British footballs global appeal has risen massively. Sam Hammam and Vincent Tans involvement in Cardiff City is one case of many foreign ownership of clubs and there is an argument to be made that this outbreak, among many other aspects, goes against the working-class essence of football.

In short, I basically want to gather your opinions on the events that have occurred since the early 90s both in relation to your club and the general football culture in Britain. Again, many thanks for taking the time out to read this!
benni3

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Globalisation of British football

Postby benni3 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:46 pm

Does anyone have any sort of opinion on this subject? I forgot to add that all responses will be kept anonymous in my report. Thanks, Ben.
benni3

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:52 pm

Globalisation as increased in British football even more so this season as efl as tv deal themselves to broadcast around the world so increasing number of clubs being watched! Not sure if will benefit clubs that much compared to the premiership but certainly will increase costs of buying players.
pembroke allan

Postby benni3 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:01 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Globalisation as increased in British football even more so this season as efl as tv deal themselves to broadcast around the world so increasing number of clubs being watched! Not sure if will benefit clubs that much compared to the premiership but certainly will increase costs of buying players.

Thanks for the response! If I was to be slightly more particular, how do you feel knowing Tan attempted to rebrand the club in order to give the club more of an appeal to potential fans in Asia? And how did you react to the news that the clubs kits would be red ?
benni3

Postby dogfound » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:16 am

benni3 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Globalisation as increased in British football even more so this season as efl as tv deal themselves to broadcast around the world so increasing number of clubs being watched! Not sure if will benefit clubs that much compared to the premiership but certainly will increase costs of buying players.

Thanks for the response! If I was to be slightly more particular, how do you feel knowing Tan attempted to rebrand the club in order to give the club more of an appeal to potential fans in Asia? And how did you react to the news that the clubs kits would be red ?

some fans have forgiven the mistake..some will never forgive it.
things for now are slowly returning to normal in blue with the owner still here and still putting money in just not the amounts of money he once did.
i dont think the rebrand was about gaining Asian fans and far more likely it was simply the owners favourite colour . the product { a 2nd tier club playing very deffensive football } simply was not good enough to steal fans from stable premier league clubs just because of new packaging.
dont think it effected our gates because it coincided with promotion and a prem season.
definitely effected merchandise sales here.possibly by millions.
dogfound

Postby eddiep » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:48 am

Just to add..,

It certainly did and does affect gates and attendance to away games

We lost a lot of loyal fans

There are many people who will never return

Some starting to think about it

The loss of fans was masked by 'fans' coming in for the premier season and promotion to it.
They are gone too

Globalisation of football is a massive gamble
It risks out pricing the very people who underpin the pyramid - the fans.

If you can afford to attend or even buy to packages and merchandise - how the hell can you fund the game?

We (Cardiff City) have lost millions ££ due to the rebrand.
Just look at our debt.......

The fact that FIFA gave quatar the World Cup resulting in billions of Quatar backed money to euro clubs seems to have been missed. Fans are getting used by and large.

When the Arabs and the Chinese get bored, and we can't afford, what happens then??????
you reap what you sow
eddiep

Postby benni3 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:16 pm

Bumping this one last time before I submit my work!
benni3

Return to General Chat