Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Favourite opening day game?

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:12 pm

What's been your favourite opening day game with the City?

Its tough but I'm gonna say West Ham away 2010 I think it was?

Miller scores in the 90th minute.

Scenes.

Re: Favourite opening day game?

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:42 pm

We've had some decent ones down the years, West Ham is definitely up there but Rotherham our first game back in division 1/championship stands out for me the most. The buzz was amazing, I remember the heat being ridiculous aswell, must be the hottest temperature I've ever witnessed at a football match. Game finished 0-0 but felt like we'd hit the big time.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:22 pm

Going back a bit, but Charlton away 76/77. First game back in division two. Won 2-0, if I remember right, Derek Showers got both goals. Decent away support in the massive old Valley. Then we lost at home to Bristol Rovers next game!

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:07 am

Oldham away opening game 02/03 season was a great trip.

I also remember first league game at the CCS we put 4 past someone with McCormack on the wing and bothroyd and chops up front. We were lethal.

West ham 2011 as mentioned was a good one as we expected to lose that day yet knicked a winner right at the end.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:08 am

murphy wrote:Oldham away opening game 02/03 season was a great trip.

I also remember first league game at the CCS we put 4 past someone with McCormack on the wing and bothroyd and chops up front. We were lethal.

West ham 2011 as mentioned was a good one as we expected to lose that day yet knicked a winner right at the end.

Oldham was another great one, we won 2-1 if I remember right, earnie come on and scored the winner in front of the away end.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:18 pm

murphy wrote:Oldham away opening game 02/03 season was a great trip.

Cardiff 4-0 Scunthorpe. Then we beat Bristol City 3-0 the next home game, when Chopra did the "too hot to touch" celebration with his boots :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Millwall 99

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:25 pm

RV Casual wrote:Millwall 99

for totally different reasons to all those above..

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:16 pm

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:What's been your favourite opening day game with the City?

Its tough but I'm gonna say West Ham away 2010 I think it was?

Miller scores in the 90th minute.

Scenes.

I was in Swansea jail watching that ,it was bonkers the place went nuts loads of cardiff lads in there,they moved me to Bristol next day :lol:

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:01 pm

Millwall home 99 :bluebird: