Villa as champions??

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Villa as champions??

Postby Barclay1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:20 am

I've put Villa to win the title, but is it too obvious a choice?? Will there be complacency? They are buying Anything that moves which is often not the best way. How are they gonna keep everyone happy? Will there be tears at the end of the season?
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Villa as champions??

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Villa as champions??

Postby Ebbw Blue » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:28 am

Barclay1 wrote:I've put Villa to win the title, but is it too obvious a choice?? Will there be complacency? They are buying Anything that moves which is often not the best way. How are they gonna keep everyone happy? Will there be tears at the end of the season?

Them and Boro will be top 2, with Villa winning the league in my opinion
Ebbw Blue

Postby davids » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:55 am

On paper it's difficult to see them being anything other than top 2 and they certainly seem to have a better first team and squad than last season but i thought that they would be top 2 last season and that didn't exactly work out for them did it?
davids

Postby AV3 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:16 pm

As a Villa fan, I wish I shared your confidence. I'm far from convinced that we'll finish top 2. Bruce seems set on playing men behind the ball and allowing the opposition to have possession. This limits your ability to create chances which is shown in our performances under him last year. I think we only won by 2 clear goals twice. That is not the form of a top 2 side. I understand him doing this when managing a side on a shoestring but given the quality he's been able to buy here, he should be way more adventurous.

Villa are not buying for fun this window. 4 have come in, including another loan for last seasons keeper. That's only 3 new faces with up to 10 or 11 due to go the other way.

I'm new to the championship and don't claim to be an expert but my feeling is that it will be very tight next year with no runaway teams like there has been for the past few years. Villa certainly aren't going to walk it and I'd be surprised if Boro did either. For neutrals it could be great. For us fans it could be torture for the next 9/10 months
Young Nibs said:
Sven I’m not sure if you're stupid or just pretending to be mate!
AV3

Postby davids » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:58 pm

AV3 wrote:As a Villa fan, I wish I shared your confidence. I'm far from convinced that we'll finish top 2. Bruce seems set on playing men behind the ball and allowing the opposition to have possession. This limits your ability to create chances which is shown in our performances under him last year. I think we only won by 2 clear goals twice. That is not the form of a top 2 side. I understand him doing this when managing a side on a shoestring but given the quality he's been able to buy here, he should be way more adventurous.

Villa are not buying for fun this window. 4 have come in, including another loan for last seasons keeper. That's only 3 new faces with up to 10 or 11 due to go the other way.

I'm new to the championship and don't claim to be an expert but my feeling is that it will be very tight next year with no runaway teams like there has been for the past few years. Villa certainly aren't going to walk it and I'd be surprised if Boro did either. For neutrals it could be great. For us fans it could be torture for the next 9/10 months

AV, you've said in previous posts i think that Bruce may be a problem for you but he does have decent experience of what is needed in the Championship, and knows what it takes to get out of the league.

You're right about the league being tight this year - apart from Newcastle and West Ham who both managed to keep their expensive squads mostly intact when they came down and were able to buy top Championship players during their seasons in this division, it's still quite rare for relegated teams to go back up quickly.

Sometimes it may be better to be looking at hungry Championship and lower league players than Premier League players who are either coming to the end of their career or have fallen out of favour at their Premier League clubs.

And usually the longer the stay in the Championship the more difficult it becomes to get out of it!
davids

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:02 pm

AV3 wrote:As a Villa fan, I wish I shared your confidence. I'm far from convinced that we'll finish top 2. Bruce seems set on playing men behind the ball and allowing the opposition to have possession. This limits your ability to create chances which is shown in our performances under him last year. I think we only won by 2 clear goals twice. That is not the form of a top 2 side. I understand him doing this when managing a side on a shoestring but given the quality he's been able to buy here, he should be way more adventurous.

I seem to recall our championship winning team won a lot games by the odd goal
What is needed is strong defence but with a killer goalscorer to get vital goals when opportunities come
pembroke allan

Postby Sneggyblubird » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:04 pm

Villa in 8th and Bruce sacked by Xmas
Sneggyblubird

Postby davids » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:36 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

What is needed is strong defence but with a killer goalscorer to get vital goals when opportunities come

We certainly had a strong defence when we won the Championship but did we have the killer goalscorer? What we had I think was a team where there were a number of players who scored around 8 or 9 goals in the season.
davids

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:59 pm

davids wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

We certainly had a strong defence when we won the Championship but did we have the killer goalscorer? What we had I think was a team where there were a number of players who scored around 8 or 9 goals in the season.

We had 5 players scoring more than 10 goals each which was better than just one person scoring 15/20 goals and everyone else scoring just a couple each! Defence is paramount in championship look at Huddersfield won majority of games by odd goal .
pembroke allan

Postby davids » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:09 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
davids wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

We had 5 players scoring more than 10 goals each which was better than just one person scoring 15/20 goals and everyone else scoring just a couple each! Defence is paramount in championship look at Huddersfield won majority of games by odd goal .

:thumbup:

Who were the 5 who scored more than 10 goals each?
davids

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:53 pm

davids wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
davids wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

:thumbup:

Who were the 5 who scored more than 10 goals each?

Ooops in fact nobody scored more than 9 goals ! We did score 74 goals though . :laughing6:
pembroke allan

Postby Wolfpac » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:05 pm

The spine of Villa team with Terry in defence and Glen Whelan in Midfield will be key to their success but I don't think they'll be top 2, Fulham will be there about this season as well Wednesday!!
Wolfpac

Postby Lawnmower » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:11 pm

Boro top for me.
Can't see much between the others.
Villa were mediocre last season. I can't see them improving that much.
Derby, Sheff Weds , Wolves, Fulham probably up there too.
But almost certainly at least 1 surprise team.
Hopefully us
Lawnmower

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:01 pm

No Easy Games In The Championship ;)
TopCat CCFC

Postby Blue_Barber » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:35 am

I don't get this Villa champions thing they've added two players one ageing CB who I personally think will be found wanting in the Championship, and a midfielder that doesn't set the world alight other than that it's still the same team with the same manager.

I don't see them getting autos and they'd be lucky IMO to get to a playoff spot
Blue_Barber

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:I don't get this Villa champions thing they've added two players one ageing CB who I personally think will be found wanting in the Championship, and a midfielder that doesn't set the world alight other than that it's still the same team with the same manager.

Agree about Terry I have doubts how he will perform at this level I don't think he will find it as easy as he thinks without the likes of Kante and Matic infront of him.

I expect Villa to be in and around the playoffs
2blue2handle

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:18 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
davids wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I don't think we actually had anyone that scored more than ten that season - let alone 5? We just had lots of one - nil wins.
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:19 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
davids wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I don't think we actually had anyone that scored more than ten that season - let alone 5? We just had lots of one - nil wins.

Sorry should have read to the bottom! :thumbup:
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby Fusilier23 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:50 pm

I think Villa may find it hard again in this league. Although they may think buying lots of players is good it does not always work and seeds of resentment from those players not being used could spread.

I really believe that WE have a really good chance this season especially with NW at the helm :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
10/01/15
The day normality was restored
Back to Blue
Fusilier23

Postby Reza » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:48 pm

AKA HAS BEEN FC, CANT WAIT FOR THEM TO FALL ON THEIR FACES......AGAIN
Always be blue
Reza

Postby nubbsy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:42 pm

They'll flop like last season
nubbsy

Postby AV3 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:46 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:I don't get this Villa champions thing they've added two players one ageing CB who I personally think will be found wanting in the Championship, and a midfielder that doesn't set the world alight other than that it's still the same team with the same manager.

I know that they're only friendlies but Terry has looked a cut above in the games he's played. In fact they haven't conceded a goal while he's been on the pitch. I don't worry about him being found wanting, that will not happen. What may be a concern is the amount of games that he can play. Villa's defence is not the problem. It is more than able, with or without Terry. The problems lie further up the field where we create next to nothing and rely heavily on the individual brilliance of Kodjia.

Including re-signing the goalie on another loan, Villa have bought 5 players in for a total of just £2million. As well as Terry, Elmohamady from Hull, Wheelan from Stoke and Chris Samba on a free. My (uneducated) guess is that we'll bring in another loanee and a big money signing. These positions will be wide left and up top.
Young Nibs said:
AV3

Postby Blue_Barber » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:04 pm

But AV there's nothing that says championship hardened - the players of use to you are the seasoned,prem underrated, players for instance the burnleys of this world have a very over achieving squad that can hang on their prem position BUT are always built to compete in the championship - used to be the same for West Brom and Watford - even Sunderland of the early 2000s - you could possibly say that weirdly while playing in the Orem recently having known their constraints they've built a decent Championship level side (although I think they've got another relegation in them) - I just think Villa are set up for the Championship
Blue_Barber

Postby AV3 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:28 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:But AV there's nothing that says championship hardened - the players of use to you are the seasoned,prem underrated, players for instance the burnleys of this world have a very over achieving squad that can hang on their prem position BUT are always built to compete in the championship - used to be the same for West Brom and Watford - even Sunderland of the early 2000s - you could possibly say that weirdly while playing in the Orem recently having known their constraints they've built a decent Championship level side (although I think they've got another relegation in them) - I just think Villa are set up for the Championship

As I said mate, I don't see Villa's problems being in defence. The problems are further up the pitch. In fairness, I don't think it's the players either. We have Hourihane & Lansbury in midfield, both of whom were going great guns for Barnsley & Forest respectively, before joining in January. Since coming to Villa, it looks like they are being restricted in getting forward.

I get the idea that you need to be able to defend well and nick 1-0s or 2-1s but it is a dangerous and risky game to play. I felt that far too many games last season were drawn the we should have won. looking at the top half last season, nearly all teams were playing football and going for it. I wonder whether this idea of soaking up pressure/surrendering possession in non-dangerous areas is becoming a tad dated? This is how Bruce sets his sides up to play and it's pretty painful to watch at times - Especially if it looks like promotion hopes are fading.
Young Nibs said:
AV3

Postby Sneggyblubird » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:16 pm

AV3 wrote:
Blue_Barber wrote:But AV there's nothing that says championship hardened - the players of use to you are the seasoned,prem underrated, players for instance the burnleys of this world have a very over achieving squad that can hang on their prem position BUT are always built to compete in the championship - used to be the same for West Brom and Watford - even Sunderland of the early 2000s - you could possibly say that weirdly while playing in the Orem recently having known their constraints they've built a decent Championship level side (although I think they've got another relegation in them) - I just think Villa are set up for the Championship

As I said mate, I don't see Villa's problems being in defence. The problems are further up the pitch. In fairness, I don't think it's the players either. We have Hourihane & Lansbury in midfield, both of whom were going great guns for Barnsley & Forest respectively, before joining in January. Since coming to Villa, it looks like they are being restricted in getting forward.

I get the idea that you need to be able to defend well and nick 1-0s or 2-1s but it is a dangerous and risky game to play. I felt that far too many games last season were drawn the we should have won. looking at the top half last season, nearly all teams were playing football and going for it. I wonder whether this idea of soaking up pressure/surrendering possession in non-dangerous areas is becoming a tad dated? This is how Bruce sets his sides up to play and it's pretty painful to watch at times - Especially if it looks like promotion hopes are fading.

Malky used to set his teams up to be hard to beat.The football was often dire but it was effective and we won the league.
Dave Jones's side were always pleasing on the eye playing great football at times but always just fell short.Steve Bruce has achieved promotion before in the championship so should know what it takes.If your gonna win this league you must be able to win ugly.You must also be very good at set pieces.I think this is where we'll miss Whits the most.A better deliverer of a dead ball I have yet to see at this level but alas his energy levels are not good enough to warrant NW keeping him.
Sneggyblubird

Return to General Chat