Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY OPINION: " CARDIFF CITY'S CHANCES THIS SEASON AND "

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:01 am

" CARDIFF CITY'S CHANCES THIS SEASON "

My take on our chances :

(1) By far our strongest point is Neil Warnock and whether his motivational power , ability and experience can get us there.

(2 )We have very good players in every position, but not enough excellent top of the tree players.

(3) Sol Bamba is excellent - Kenneth Zohore if he meets expectations - Lee Tomlin/Mendez/Paterson possible.

(4) Our weakness if any, is centre of midfield.

(5) Do we need one more excellent striker & 2 center of MF?

(6) Ps: Bruno Manga will average one mistake per game, which makes him a very good player but not excellent thats why he's still in the Championship.

Conclusion: We have a very good squad. No chance automatic. One of 10 clubs for playoffs. The real question is "can the Warnock factor make a very good squad perform as a team above their individual ability?

What is your opinion?

I would like to think our supporters home and away can be our twelth man this season and that our away support continues to grow again :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MY OPINION: " CARDIFF CITY'S CHANCES THIS SEASON AND "

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:09 am

Forever Blue wrote:" CARDIFF CITY'S CHANCES THIS SEASON "

My take on our chances :

(1) By far our strongest point is Neil Warnock and whether his motivational power , ability and experience can get us there.

(2 )We have very good players in every position, but not enough excellent top of the tree players.

(3) Sol Bamba is excellent - Kenneth Zohore if he meets expectations - Lee Tomlin/Mendez/Paterson possible.

(6) Ps: Bruno Manga will average one mistake per game, which makes him a very good player but not excellent thats why he's still in the Championship.

Conclusion: We have a very good squad. No chance automatic. One of 10 clubs for playoffs. The real question is "can the Warnock factor make a very good squad perform as a team above their individual ability?

What is your opinion?

I would like to think our supporters home and away can be our twelth man this season and that our away support continues to grow again :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Defensively we are very strong, I am concerned about our midfield. Avoiding injuries to our main players will be key. We don't have great strength in depth in midfield or up front

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:14 am

I think to have any chance of top six we need to offload 3-4 players off the wage bill and get in another top midfielder and striker easier said than done

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:22 am

My take on our chances :

What is your opinion?

1... Completely agree about Warnock, he will thrive off the challenge of outperforming teams like Wolves and Middlesbrough who are spending £15m on one player.

2. I personally would say that we have 5 "excellent" players who I would take in the Premier League... Bamba, Manga, Gunnarsson, Zohore and I personally really like Peltier but that's just a personal view.

3. I think we are a little short in midfield, although I'm more concerned that we're going into the season without a top goalkeeper and think that left-back will be our weakness which teams will look to exploit.

4. Even if Manga does make the occasional error, and I'm not convinced it's 1 per game, I think he is an outstanding defender and there aren't many better in this division. If Morrison can sort out his concentration/marking & learn to defend on the ground a bit better, our defence is going to be rock solid.

Can honestly say I've never been more excited for a season. :bluescarf:

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:27 am

Warnock's teams are well organised. No star player as such, Zohore still has to prove himself over a season. Top 10 pushing top 6 hopefully, good start essential to bring the crowd in.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:30 am

with one or two injuries or suspensions in midfield or up front and we will suffer
Midfield options of Ralls..Gunnarsson Darmour and Tomlin with possibly Bamba and Halford as holding doesn t fill me with confidence..
Up Front ....if Zohore gets injured we have been told that Mendez Laing or Ward can play up the middle also Pilkington? if he stays

I am with other posters on this get rid of Fred ..Declan.. Pilks.. O Keefe and Noone and get a quality midfielder and another good striker..and i think we will then be a big threat.

Wish List
Adam..or Surman ..even on loan
Sanogo.. anichebe...dont know if they have clubs or not ?

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:32 am

scott_w_ccfc wrote:

My take on our chances :

What is your opinion?

1... Completely agree about Warnock, he will thrive off the challenge of outperforming teams like Wolves and Middlesbrough who are spending £15m on one player.

2. I personally would say that we have 5 "excellent" players who I would take in the Premier League... Bamba, Manga, Gunnarsson, Zohore and I personally really like Peltier but that's just a personal view.

3. I think we are a little short in midfield, although I'm more concerned that we're going into the season without a top goalkeeper and think that left-back will be our weakness which teams will look to exploit.

4. Even if Manga does make the occasional error, and I'm not convinced it's 1 per game, I think he is an outstanding defender and there aren't many better in this division. If Morrison can sort out his concentration/marking & learn to defend on the ground a bit better, our defence is going to be rock solid.

Can honestly say I've never been more excited for a season. :bluescarf:

The current squad is strong enough to push for play off place. One more quality striker and central midfielder will turn us from a 5th to 8th type side into a side that could threaten the top two. Warnock knows this and I would like to think he is playing his cards close to his chest and a couple of signings materialise in the next month.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:56 am

Zohore could do anything this season. 20 goals is the bare minimum I'm thinking of.

If he starts off like he finished last season AND shows a little improvement we'll be getting ridiculous offers in January of up to £25m. Clubs will be falling over each other trying to sign him.

Like Warnock said, look at what Lukaku went for and look at the potential and similarities with KZ. It's a dream come true situation for all of us.

Let's not forget he's not just a goal-scorer, his link-up play is also very good. Yes we need him fit for as much of the season as possible, but I'm certain whatever happens NW will make us the hardest team to play against in the Championship :thumbright:

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:10 am

Anichebe now that is someone who I would love here.
IMO think NW will see where we sit come January then get bodies in for a final push if needed.
With what we got now Top 6 is there for the taking as I think Villa will implode so 'Boro. Fulham , then Wednesday , us , Leeds and A N Other.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:31 am

Thing is Annis I'm just gonna enjoy the ride this season. The Prem ain't the be all and end all it's just a league where fans are treated like shite. Really looking forward to this season :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:45 am

Short of quality in midfield

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:46 am

Midfield and another striker!

Surman and Wilson on loan?

Definitely need those 2 areas seeing as the loan window shuts same time as window.

Don't think leaving it until January will be any good as all that will be left is rubbish or over priced.

In NW imo we have the most capable manager in the division so here's to a super enjoyable season!!!

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:55 am

I think we need at least 2 more players a centre midfielder and a striker :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Add joe ledley in midfield and I think we woyld have a really good chance of going up,look at Brighton team last year they were strong and well organised but no superstars

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:19 pm

MalagaCF wrote:Short of quality in midfield

It looks like Start O'Keefe is on the way out, but out of interest do you think he is Championship standard and would you release or keep him?

Having watched him play at Taffs Well, I thought he was the stand out performer. I also appreciate the standard of opposition, which was of course the same for all our players.

Personally, I'm a big fan, but I once claimed that a young David Beckham would never make it as a top tier footballer because he was too light weight. :oops:

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:50 pm

My take on our chances :

What is your opinion?

I think that is a realistic view of things, and I can't argue with any of that. I agree no chance of a top two finish, but we are one of a large number of teams who will be looking for a play off place. If we get the rub of the green and can avoid injuries, we could just about scrape into the play offs. If things go wrong for us, we could just as easily finish outside of the top ten given the number of decent sides in this league. I will go for somewhere between 6th and 10th and just hope for the best. Should be interesting whatever with Warnock in control. Can't wait.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:54 pm

Just looking at the amount of replies and their content gives me hope that the buzz is coming back to the fans after a miserable few seasons (Premiership included)it certainly is for me,(cant wait for Burton).
I think the squad is the strongest since the promotion season, in my opinion, Warnock is also the best manager we have had. I don't believe promotion is won by individuals, but by teams and this manager knows how to build teams and spirit. I believe we will finish top six, because come January, I believe that if we are in contention, Tan will provide any players that Warnock desires which will push us over the line.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:54 pm

Agreed about midfielder and striker but we also need more goals from this lot (Ralls,Gunnar,Hoilett).
Yes Bruno and Morrisson both seem to have a lapse a game but hopefully we can overcome this with what looks like a very good defensive group.
I hope the weight of expedition doesn't get to Big Ken as he is still young and learning in this league.
I'm very optimistic about at least the player-offs but there again I was last year under Trollope :laughing5: .
Let's hope the crowds increase from day one to give Warnock and his team that little bit extra : :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:10 pm

I respectfully direct you to my reply half way down this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85980

At this point our squad is far better than the one we were discussing then and they went on to win the league.NW hasn't put this squad together to be just to be in with a chance of 6th place.That would be seen as failure and not just by me.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:59 pm

Another goal scoring striker and definitely top 6.

I'm just worried about Zohore getting injured/overplayed.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:11 pm

piledriver64 wrote:Another goal scoring striker and definitely top 6.

I'm just worried about Zohore getting injured/overplayed.

i think Zohore being inform will be massive..my biggest fear is that we can not hold on to him.
if he scores 3 or more in August any of the big spenders in this league who have started poorly and the bottom 3 in the prem will be panic buying..

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:37 pm

I think a lot of the predictions on here are a little pessimistic.
In my opinion This squad is as strong if not stronger than the Malky squad at least the pre Frazier Campbell one. I think they could really surprise a lot if people. They could also strengthen in January.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:25 am

I realise it's new season, but doesn't look any harder division than last, I look at Brighton and Huddersfield and I wouldn't take too many of their players over what we have right now.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:01 pm

My take on our chances :

What is your opinion?

Can't see too much wrong with that although if the wind was blowing in our direction we could fluke a top 2 :thumbup:

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:05 pm

langstoneBlue wrote:I realise it's new season, but doesn't look any harder division than last, I look at Brighton and Huddersfield and I wouldn't take too many of their players over what we have right now.

Very good point :thumbup:

Points means prizes and to get points you need goals. For a few seasons now I have thought we could do some real damage in this division but we lacked players who could score enough goals. I know it is only theory at the moment but our squad does look like one which could score a hatful of goals.