Bellamy GoodFella

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Bellamy GoodFella

Postby Wolfpac » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:43 am

I don't often get chance to read a book but this has been a fantastic read, an insight into the mind of one of our countries greatest players, couldnt believe some of the background on how he shut himself out, his marriage breakdown, what happened when he was told about Speedo's death, and the stuff about his footballing career inc when he came to us, it made for interesting reading, like him or loathe him he was such a talent!!
Wolfpac

Bellamy GoodFella

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Bellamy GoodFella

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:56 am

Wolfpac wrote:I don't often get chance to read a book but this has been a fantastic read, an insight into the mind of one of our countries greatest players, couldnt believe some of the background on how he shut himself out, his marriage breakdown, what happened when he was told about Speedo's death, and the stuff about his footballing career inc when he came to us, it made for interesting reading, like him or loathe him he was such a talent!!

Yeah, I read it quite a while ago, a great read and very interesting.
Most footballers biographies are pretty bland.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 pm

:thumbup:
TopCat CCFC

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:01 pm

Wolfpac wrote:I don't often get chance to read a book but this has been a fantastic read, an insight into the mind of one of our countries greatest players, couldnt believe some of the background on how he shut himself out, his marriage breakdown, what happened when he was told about Speedo's death, and the stuff about his footballing career inc when he came to us, it made for interesting reading, like him or loathe him he was such a talent!!

I agree it's a very good read.

If you haven't read Warnock's book yet, I strongly recommend that as well. I couldn't believe when Palace were in administration, the driver of the bus pulled over and stopped because he didn't think he would get paid. Warnock had to get his credit card out to pay the bus company for the journey to continue. Then a young lad was going to have an operation and again, the hospital wouldn't go ahead with it. Warnock had to get his credit card out again and pay for the operation to go ahead.

It's incredible what goes on behind the scenes, especially at the lower levels. In another book, I read about Gareth Ainsworth having to pay for the nets and balls out of his own pocket as Wycombe couldn't afford anything. I salute the managers and staff at grass roots level, who earn little money for doing so much extra to keep these little clubs running.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby Wolfpac » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:33 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

If you haven't read Warnock's book yet, I strongly recommend that as well. I couldn't believe when Palace were in administration, the driver of the bus pulled over and stopped because he didn't think he would get paid. Warnock had to get his credit card out to pay the bus company for the journey to continue. Then a young lad was going to have an operation and again, the hospital wouldn't go ahead with it. Warnock had to get his credit card out again and pay for the operation to go ahead.

It's incredible what goes on behind the scenes, especially at the lower levels. In another book, I read about Gareth Ainsworth having to pay for the nets and balls out of his own pocket as Wycombe couldn't afford anything. I salute the managers and staff at grass roots level, who earn little money for doing so much extra to keep these little clubs running.

Thanks mate has Warnock just done the one ? What was the Gareth ainsworth one ? I'll track them down as I wouldn't mind reading them on my work breaks !
Wolfpac

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:17 pm

Wolfpac wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

Thanks mate has Warnock just done the one ? What was the Gareth ainsworth one ? I'll track them down as I wouldn't mind reading them on my work breaks !

Yes, Warnock's just done one book to my knowledge, it's titled "The Gaffer".

The Gareth Ainsworth one is titled "Living on the Volcano". Each chapter is about a different manager, I just mentioned Ainsworth as he's ex City. Managers like Aidy Boothroyd are in there, talking about how within a few seasons, he went from taking Watford to the Premiership to being rock bottom with Northampton, then rebuilding his career with the England Under 21's. There's loads of managers in there talking about their experiences, the ups and downs, it's very interesting. It won the "British Sports Book of the Year" in 2014.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby Wolfpac » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:31 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Wolfpac wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

Yes, Warnock's just done one book to my knowledge, it's titled "The Gaffer".

The Gareth Ainsworth one is titled "Living on the Volcano". Each chapter is about a different manager, I just mentioned Ainsworth as he's ex City. Managers like Aidy Boothroyd are in there, talking about how within a few seasons, he went from taking Watford to the Premiership to being rock bottom with Northampton, then rebuilding his career with the England Under 21's. There's loads of managers in there talking about their experiences, the ups and downs, it's very interesting. It won the "British Sports Book of the Year" in 2014.

Nice one mate appreciate that gonna get on Amazon now to see if I can find them.
Wolfpac

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:06 am

Shame the mans a complete idiot.
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:20 pm

I enjoyed the book but have enjoyed others more. Preferred Daves Jones and Ridsdales books. As others have mentioned Warnocks was a brilliant read and Andy Leggs quick read is very good.
2blue2handle

Return to General Chat