Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

LATEST NEWS " SHREWSBURY TOWN v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH THREAD

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:15 am

" SHREWSBURY TOWN v CARDIFF CITY "

Cardiff City: Etheridge, Peltier, Manga, Bamba, Richards, Mendez-Laing, Gunnarsson, Halford, K.Harris, Tomlin, Zohore

Subs: Byrne, Bennett, Morrison, Coxe, Damour, Ralls, Kennedy, Pilkington, Meite, Ward.

Cardiff City have sent a strong team to Shrewsbury :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Cardiff fans can pay on the night :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

IMG_2089.JPG

Cardiff City have their fifth pre-season friendly this Tuesday, as they travel to Shrewsbury Town of League One. The Bluebirds will be hoping to keep up their 100% pre-season record this summer after wins over Taff's Well, AFC Tavistock, Bodmin Town and Plymouth Argyle.

The game kicks off at 7pm and tickets cost £8 for adults :thumbright:

You can pay on the gate - cash only :ayatollah:

About Shrewsbury Town

Shrewsbury Town Football Club is a professional association football club based in the town of Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England. The team compete in League One, the third tier of the English football league system.

Between 1910 and 2007, the club was based at Gay Meadow on the banks of the River Severn; since 2007, the club have played at the New Meadow, a UEFA Category four stadium with a capacity of 9,875.

In May 2014 ex-Fleetwood Town boss Micky Mellon was appointed manager. Town were promoted back to League One on 25 April 2015 with a 0–1 victory away to Cheltenham Town via Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro's goal.[11] Mellon left for Tranmere Rovers in October 2016, and he was replaced by Grimsby Town manager Paul Hurst, with Shrewsbury bottom.[12]

Montgomery Waters Meadow

New Meadow, also known as Montgomery Waters Meadow for sponsorship purposes, is the home ground of English football club Shrewsbury Town. The stadium is situated on the southern outskirts of Shrewsbury, Shropshire, between the districts of Meole Brace and Sutton Farm, and close to the A5. It was completed in the summer of 2007, in time for the 2007–08 English football season, and was built to replace the Gay Meadow stadium, home of Shrewsbury Town since 1910. It is also a UEFA Category 4 stadium.

Pre-Season Form

Taff's Well 0-1 Cardiff City
AFC Tavistock 2-7 Cardiff City
Bodmin Town 1-3 Cardiff City
Plymouth Argyle 0-1 Cardiff City

Brackley Town 2-1 Shrewsbury Town
Shrewsbury Town 2-1 Aston Villa
Shrewsbury Town 2-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Team News

This is the first Cardiff City First Team fixture since Friday's win at Plymouth, so Neil Warnock is expected to name close to his strongest team.

Tickets

Tickets cost £8 for adults and you can pay on the gate - cash only :thumbright:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: LATEST NEWS " SHREWSBURY TOWN v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH THR

Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Shrewsbury continued their pre-season today with a 2-0 win over Wolves. This followed a 2-1 victory against Aston Villa and a 2-1 defeat to Brackley Town.

Cardiff City have a 100% record after wins over Plymouth, Bodmin, Tavistock and Taff's Well.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:39 am

Looking forward to this one. Another new ground for me. missed this trip during the last two seasons

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:45 am

You can pay on the gate, should be a decent Cardiff City away support :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:53 am

Wheres the best place to go for a pint before the game. Taking my 5 year old to his first away game.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:29 pm

Shrewsbury Town v Cardiff City Preview

25/07/17

Having already beaten two Championship teams at the Montgomery Waters Meadow, Tuesday sees us looking for the hat trick with the visit of Cardiff City. The Bluebirds finished last season in mid-table and their twelfth place last season makes them the most successful team we will play this closed season in terms of the previous season. It may be interesting to note that all the teams we will have played at the Meadow all finished between 12th and 20th in the Championship or it may just be a coincidence.

Like most teams City have been active in the transfer market, releasing a number of players but keeping much of last seasons squad, including top scorer Thomas Zohore and goal scoring midfielder Anthony Pilkington.

The Bluebirds most eye-catching summer signing in terms of money spent is 28-year-old forward Lee Tomlin who cost City £2-3 million. Tomlin is a player who made his name in non-league with Rushden before moving into the Football League with Peterborough scoring 32 times in 135 games including eleven goals in the Championship. He's also spent time with Middlesbrough, Bournemouth and his previous club Bristol City.

Forward Danny Ward has played up front and on the wing and came to City from Rotherham where he impressed Cardiff boss Neil Warnock enough to make him part with nearly £2 million for his services. Ward had been with Rotherham for a couple of seasons after moving for around £1 million from Huddersfield. An exciting player who can ping a killer assist and score from distance, he could prove to be a bit of a bargain.

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing is someone we should recognise from his time here on loan with us in 2014. It wasn't our best of recent seasons and he didn't really make a massive impact although I thought he improved with each game. The ex-Wolves trainee has spent time on loan with four other clubs (Peterborough, Portsmouth, Cambridge and Sheffield United) and has also had full time contracts with four clubs including Cardiff (Rochdale, Peterborough and Wolves although he never made an appearance for the first team).

Prediction

The mantra of “friendly results aren't important” is well used at this time of the year and I'm going to use it again because that's what everyone who knows what they're on about says. The problem is that I'm a fan and I can’t help but be pleased by the results so far. I'm also pretty pleased with the performances throughout the team, obviously not everyone has been perfect but the commitment seems to run through the team at the moment. Where people haven't been perfect, I prefer to think it's fitness levels not being perfect just yet rather than a lack of ability of effort. What I really want to see is the crisp passing game we've seen so far this pre-season, I've been impressed by our ability to move the ball quickly forward through the team. Defensively I thought the partnership between Nsiala and Jules has looked most solid so far although there are a few combinations possible at the back that could work well. My prediction is in hope rather than expectation, I'd like to see a few goals from either side with the emphasis on the impressive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:53 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:" SHREWSBURY TOWN v CARDIFF CITY "

7pm kick off :ayatollah:

Cardiff City have sent a strong team to Shrewsbury :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Cardiff fans can pay on the night :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

IMG_2089.JPG

Cardiff City have their fifth pre-season friendly this Tuesday, as they travel to Shrewsbury Town of League One. The Bluebirds will be hoping to keep up their 100% pre-season record this summer after wins over Taff's Well, AFC Tavistock, Bodmin Town and Plymouth Argyle.

The game kicks off at 7pm and tickets cost £8 for adults :thumbright:

You can pay on the gate - cash only :ayatollah:

About Shrewsbury Town

Shrewsbury Town Football Club is a professional association football club based in the town of Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England. The team compete in League One, the third tier of the English football league system.

Between 1910 and 2007, the club was based at Gay Meadow on the banks of the River Severn; since 2007, the club have played at the New Meadow, a UEFA Category four stadium with a capacity of 9,875.

In May 2014 ex-Fleetwood Town boss Micky Mellon was appointed manager. Town were promoted back to League One on 25 April 2015 with a 0–1 victory away to Cheltenham Town via Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro's goal.[11] Mellon left for Tranmere Rovers in October 2016, and he was replaced by Grimsby Town manager Paul Hurst, with Shrewsbury bottom.[12]

Montgomery Waters Meadow

New Meadow, also known as Montgomery Waters Meadow for sponsorship purposes, is the home ground of English football club Shrewsbury Town. The stadium is situated on the southern outskirts of Shrewsbury, Shropshire, between the districts of Meole Brace and Sutton Farm, and close to the A5. It was completed in the summer of 2007, in time for the 2007–08 English football season, and was built to replace the Gay Meadow stadium, home of Shrewsbury Town since 1910. It is also a UEFA Category 4 stadium.

Pre-Season Form

Taff's Well 0-1 Cardiff City
AFC Tavistock 2-7 Cardiff City
Bodmin Town 1-3 Cardiff City
Plymouth Argyle 0-1 Cardiff City

Brackley Town 2-1 Shrewsbury Town
Shrewsbury Town 2-1 Aston Villa
Shrewsbury Town 2-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Team News

This is the first Cardiff City First Team fixture since Friday's win at Plymouth, so Neil Warnock is expected to name close to his strongest team.

Tickets

Tickets cost £8 for adults and you can pay on the gate - cash only :thumbright:

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Nialladam1927 wrote:Wheres the best place to go for a pint before the game. Taking my 5 year old to his first away game.

There is a cracking pub by a roundabout within a few minutes walk of the ground mate. Went there for a pre season friendly a few years ago and we had a brilliant time, they laid on a barbecue for us and gave us a great welcome. Can't remember the name of the pub but I expect other City fans will remember.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:55 pm

Nialladam1927 wrote:Wheres the best place to go for a pint before the game. Taking my 5 year old to his first away game.

Depends if your going by train then their are loads of brilliant pubs in Shrewsbury town centre Loggerheads is probably my favourite.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:25 pm

:bluebird:

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:30 pm

Cardiff City: Etheridge, Peltier, Manga, Bamba, Richards, Mendez-Laing, Gunnarsson, Halford, K.Harris, Tomlin, Zohore

Subs: Byrne, Bennett, Morrison, Coxe, Damour, Ralls, Kennedy, Pilkington, Meite, Ward.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:47 pm

1-0 up ht

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:55 pm

...to us. No idea of scorer though.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:01 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:...to us. No idea of scorer though.

Mendez-Laing

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Cheers mate. After an assist from Zohore I hear.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:07 pm

1-1 now

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:08 pm

Shrewsbury 2 Cardiff 1 :o

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:08 pm

Another penalty. We are gonna have to keep an eye on this for the coming season especially when refs start sending players off in competitive games.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Have there been mass changes at half time?

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:24 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:Have there been mass changes at half time?

Peltier off Banner on just after the start of the second half.

Damour, Ralls, Ward Kennedy on.
Zohore, Tomlin, Gunnarsson Halford off
After the hour.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:25 pm

Halford played from the off....say no more!

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:51 pm

All over. First loss of the Pre-season.

Shrewsbury Town 2-1 Cardiff City

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:55 pm

A bump, and back down to earth..

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:57 pm

Looked an even game looking at the stats, but only 1 shot on target all game isn't good enough. Hopefully, good will come out of it and we will bring in a striker to replace Saadi.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:02 pm

Shame that we just lost 3k fans from the villa game off that result :lol:

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:03 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Looked an even game looking at the stats, but only 1 shot on target all game isn't good enough. Hopefully, good will come out of it and we will bring in a striker to replace Saadi.

Sounds like chances were not created for the strikers if only one shot was made.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:08 pm

BobbyBlue wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Looked an even game looking at the stats, but only 1 shot on target all game isn't good enough. Hopefully, good will come out of it and we will bring in a striker to replace Saadi.

Sounds like chances were not created for the strikers if only one shot was made.

I said 1 shot on target. We actually had 12 goal attempts. Only 1 of those 12 goal attempts hit the target, which suggests we were very wasteful.

Just heard from someone who went to the game. Zohore was through on goal early on and got hacked down. Should have been a sending off, but the referee just gave their player a lecture. I don't mind that as playing 10 men in a friendly is no good to us.

However, another horrendous tackle was put in against us later on. It seems we played the game as a friendly, but Shrewsbury played the game like a cup final and if they had to put in a few tackles to get the upper hand, so be it.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:12 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
BobbyBlue wrote:

I said 1 shot on target. We actually had 12 goal attempts. Only 1 of those 12 goal attempts hit the target, which suggests we were very wasteful.

Just heard from someone who went to the game. Zohore was through on goal early on and got hacked down. Should have been a sending off, but the referee just gave their player a lecture. I don't mind that as playing 10 men in a friendly is no good to us.

However, another horrendous tackle was put in against us later on. It seems we played the game as a friendly, but Shrewsbury played the game like a cup final and if they had to put in a few tackles to get the upper hand, so be it.

Ah right my bad at least chances were being created then.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:13 pm

God how many more times must it be said,Warnock has set his face against bringing in another striker,he has convinced himself he has enough firepower in his current squad,now like you I believe the opposite is the case but he his the manager

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:23 pm

1-0 Up when Halford went off.