Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " CARDIFF CITY MAKE SIXTH SUMMER SIGNING "

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:19 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:
DanielHuwLewis wrote:Looks a hard worker and composed on the ball from what I've seen online. If he puts in a good shift and works his socks off, I can't see this being a bad signing on a free. Could come off and worth a gamble. Better to spend low and gamble than spend high again on a waste of space like Lambert.

Going to remain positive and trust the scouts on this one.

But i come back to what Warnock said and that was he thinks 6 million pounds is all he needs to spend to put together a promotion challenging squad, so far all i see Warnock is doing is putting together a team on the cheap

Was the £6m just for buying players, or did that also include their wages? I suppose in these modern days this sort of money is small potatoes. and you are not going to get much for £6m, if in fact he has been given that much in the first place.

Steve can I ask, did warnock ever even quote 6m?... Is there any evidence he said this... Or was it another ITK post on this board?

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:20 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
nubbsy wrote:I'll give him a chance, but is he better than okeefe? We've bought an awful lot of 'squad players'... We need some starters to push on.

Yep, totally agree the squad as a whole looks a lot stronger but think we need to sign a few "starters" if we are to push for a top six finish

Spot on mate, I think we were all expecting something a bit more exciting from the next signing or two... Not to sound like the pessimist!

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:53 pm

£6m. Given that each new player is probably on around £10k a week, that's £3m gone already. What makes you think the money was going to be spent on fees rather than wages? Another payoff to Lambert probably close to a million ( better than the 1.25m he was owed) and there's some more gone. Lots of naive people on here.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:09 pm

papa wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pZp3gGKecc

He looks really good.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:23 pm

Welcome to the bluebirds Damour! :bluescarf: :bluebird: we need to give him a chance - he could turn out to be a real gutsy fighter and grind out some results for us.

Our squad is looking good IMO and I'm happy so far - I'd like to see some quality added and that's not saying that we haven't signed anyone quality so far but what I mean is a couple of players that are experienced championship winners/lower of premier league level - I'm not saying that we have the money to sign these but perhaps loan deals? When we got promoted in 2013 I remember Malky having a good solid squad base which I believe we've almost got a little more than that at the mo but then he added abit of quality into the mix which helped win us the league. That quality that I'm on about could push us up a few places in the league by the end of the season!

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:30 pm

angelis1949 wrote:
Blue_Barber wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:
DanielHuwLewis wrote:Looks a hard worker and composed on the ball from what I've seen online. If he puts in a good shift and works his socks off, I can't see this being a bad signing on a free. Could come off and worth a gamble. Better to spend low and gamble than spend high again on a waste of space like Lambert.

But i come back to what Warnock said and that was he thinks 6 million pounds is all he needs to spend to put together a promotion challenging squad, so far all i see Warnock is doing is putting together a team on the cheap

It must be so bright in your world...
What do you think you can get for £6m in ower times??

If he wheels and deals a few trialists, Frees and buys then so be it - he's been in the game for 60 odd years managing for 40 odd - have a bit of faith for Christ sake.

We are not going to challenge for promotion on the back of free transfers and trialists,mamby in your world you are content to settle for mid table mediocrity

But you seem to be blaming Warnock....he has £6million potentially to play with - as far as I'm concerned you could do a lot worse than what he's done so far, you only have to look back at last season to look how bad the transfer recruitment was, yet when Warnock comes in he signs a few guys for how much??? And we start climbing the table. Sometimes it's not how much you spend but the insight and experience of the guy motivating and putting a team together that gets you promotion.

Look a Burnley they're squad is built out of the best potential from the championship mostly and a few nearly lads of Prem squads yet they're holding their own.

Money doesnt buy you happiness and results in afraid

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:40 am

Blue_Barber wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:

It must be so bright in your world...
What do you think you can get for £6m in ower times??

If he wheels and deals a few trialists, Frees and buys then so be it - he's been in the game for 60 odd years managing for 40 odd - have a bit of faith for Christ sake.

bloody hell.he is only 68.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:43 am

nubbsy wrote:I'll give him a chance, but is he better than okeefe? We've bought an awful lot of 'squad players'... We need some starters to push on.

thats how i see it.squad players for a squad that is big enough.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:52 am

I'd agree with this.
All the purchases so far look like squad players with the possible exception of Ward who will probably start most games and Etheridge who looks like battling it out with Camp for the no. 1 jersey.
I think we need one or two, at least, new players who can go straight into the team if we want to be going for promotion.
I'm not sure that's going to happen though as the infamous figure of 6mill must be almost gone!

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:55 am

hard to day if he is better than O Keefe based on the video .clips
looked ok but boy was he up against some rags.looked like a Welsh league games tbh.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:22 am

might be that Gunnar is leaving, and/or O'Keefe, in which case this makes perfect sense - loads of posters on here have bemoaned for years we've been too soft in the middle of the park, well this sort of player can change that.

I'm pleased the club have done so much business already, and pre-season training has only just begun - still a month to the first proper game. I'm delighted Lambert has moved on, and whilst I was gutted to see Whitts go the rational side of me sees the sense in it, especially for the player.

We don't know what convos are ongoing re: shifting the likes of Noone, Pilkington etc could be well down the track by now.

As for spending £6M, frankly I'm delighted we've even got any money to spend that amount.

CTID

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:44 am

JimmyJazz wrote:might be that Gunnar is leaving, and/or O'Keefe, in which case this makes perfect sense - loads of posters on here have bemoaned for years we've been too soft in the middle of the park, well this sort of player can change that.

I'm pleased the club have done so much business already, and pre-season training has only just begun - still a month to the first proper game. I'm delighted Lambert has moved on, and whilst I was gutted to see Whitts go the rational side of me sees the sense in it, especially for the player.

We don't know what convos are ongoing re: shifting the likes of Noone, Pilkington etc could be well down the track by now.

As for spending £6M, frankly I'm delighted we've even got any money to spend that amount.

CTID

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Why are people saying Gunner is going because we've signed Loic? We've got rid of Whitts & Huws so losing Gunner would be silly quite frankly.

O'Keefe I'd agree with but the way Warnock raves about Gunner I'd say he's the first name on the team sheet not the first name out of the door.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:36 pm

Maybe that was the plan/the problem we had and still have to many squad players who haven't been performing or not wanted on big wages. He may or may not been better than OKeefe but i bet his wages have a lot lower and OKeefe had no chance since Warnock took over. Saving wages on the squad player I guess means we can offer wages to other player who are likely to start like Manga, Hoilett, Harris.