' ‘I’ve got so much more to give’, says '

Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:26 pm

‘I’ve got so much more to give’, says new Ipswich Town man Emyr Huws

Thurs 29 June, 2017 -

Ipswich Town signing, Emyr Huws.

BY SARAH LUCY BROWN

New Ipswich Town signing, Emyr Huws.

You ain’t seen nothing yet!

That was Emyr Huws’ message to Ipswich fans yesterday after the midfielder signed a four-year deal with the Blues for an undisclosed fee.

A big hit on-loan last season, scoring three goals in 13 games, manager Mick McCarthy was desperate to bring the former Manchester City youngster back to the club on a permanent basis and owner Marcus Evans granted his wish.

- Town sign Emyr Huws

Huws scored the winner in the 1-0 victory at Aston Villa – just his second game for the club – hit the net in the home draw with Brentford and scored a memorable volley in the impressive 3-1 home win against eventual champions, Newcastle, on Easter Monday.

His all-round play also proved popular with Blues fans though and his arrival represents the type of creative spark so yearned for by the Portman Road faithful.

Huws said yesterday: “There’s a lot more to come from me, I don’t think anyone has seen the best of me yet.

“I am looking to get stronger, fitter and improve. I’ll keep improving.”

The signing of Huws represents a big outlay by Evans, his wages and an undisclosed transfer fee meaning the overall package will go well into seven figures.

Not that he feels the pressure on his shoulders, having moved to Manchester City from Swansea as a 14-year-old and rubbed shoulders with superstars such as Yaya Toure and Sergio Aguero at the Etihad Stadium.

“No one puts more pressure on me than myself,” he added.

“Everything else is secondary and that does affect me, I am glad to be here.

“I went to Manchester City when I was 14 and I was fine, it was something that I wanted to do and I took it in my stride.

“There I learned from those players and it was always good to train and play with them and add things to my own game. It was a good experience and now I’m looking to kick on.”

Huws played in a squad that finished a disappointing 16th in last season’s Championship, but is confident of better times this season.

Asked about Town’s chances of reaching the play-offs, Huws said: “It’s definitely do-able, the squad is definitely good enough to compete, and we will be looking up rather than down.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.