' JAZZ IN MIDFIELD ROLE? '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Cardiff City star Jazz Richards believes he could be a central midfield option for Neil Warnock next season
By Dominic Booth

Wednesday 28th June 2017

Jazz Richards believes he could be a central midfield option for Cardiff City next season.

The Wales international is known for his versatility and is able to play at either right back or left back, as well as both wing-back positions.

However, he started out his career as a central midfielder and insists he would "have more to offer" in midfield than his usual right-back position.

It comes with the Bluebirds looking well stocked in defence after the signing of attacking full-back Callum Paterson from Hearts, but short of depth in midfield following the departure of Peter Whittingham and Emyr Huws' proposed move to Ipswich Town.

“I think it’s good news, it strengthens the squad and also there’s competition in the position," Richards told the Daily Star when asked about Paterson's arrival.

The Welshman then put his own name forward as a possible midfield option. He previously played in the middle of the park as a youngster for Swansea City.

He added: “I started off as a midfielder and played a couple of games there when I was at Swansea and also in my younger days I played in midfield. I know that was a long time ago.

“It would take time to get used to that position again but I’m sure I’d have more to offer as a midfielder than a right-back.

“I’ll play anywhere as long as it’s on the pitch.

“I’m definitely a lot more comfortable playing on the right as I’m right-footed but if it comes to playing to left-back then left-back it is.

“I’m definitely a lot better on the right and I think I can offer a lot in midfield.”
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: JAZZ IN MIDFIELD ROLE?

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:29 pm

I know it's not a universal popular opinion but I really rate Jazz Richards. If he says he can play centre midfield then I would be confident he would do well.
Tony Blue Williams

Re: ' JAZZ IN MIDFIELD ROLE? '

Postby eddiep » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:58 pm

Not sure

I'd have to see him in the role - energy, strength, passing, running
- Thats what most successful midfielders in this league have

I think he looks too laid back - perhaps its me though.....

i like him - but he doesnt seem to be a defending mid, a holding mid or an attacking mid

:bluescarf:
you reap what you sow
eddiep

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:04 pm

eddiep wrote:Not sure

I'd have to see him in the role - energy, strength, passing, running
- Thats what most successful midfielders in this league have

I think he looks too laid back - perhaps its me though.....

i like him - but he doesnt seem to be a defending mid, a holding mid or an attacking mid

I remember when Gunnar signed he was described as a right back/central midfielder, so it does happen.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Blue_Barber » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:53 pm

All I'll say is Greg Halford can play anywhere.....
Blue_Barber

Postby lathamgaffney » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:41 pm

No thanks. He's unproven there and never played there.

Worried about the lack of centre midfielders in our team now. Announce Ledley!
09/01/2015 - The Rebirth of the Bluebirds

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LathamGaffney
lathamgaffney

Postby Tomshort1927 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:16 pm

Why not give him a chance. He knows his own abilities more than we do, not saying he'll be amazing but there are some players who do well in different positions :bluescarf:
Tomshort1927

Postby Sven » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:22 pm

lathamgaffney wrote:No thanks. He's unproven there and never played there.

Did you actually read the OP? :shock:

It said (quote): “I started off as a midfielder and played a couple of games there when I was at Swansea..."

Seems he has played there and we'll not know unless we give him a chance (maybe pre-season) will we? ;)

I'm with Tony Blue Williams on Jazz. I rate him and think he had a raw deal from a certain element when he first arrived but has since (ironically) proven himself to be an astute acquisition for the club :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Jules » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:59 am

Hmmm Interesting as I said the other day when posting on who to hypothetically remove from the wage bill due to numbers across the back I didn't know this, so maybe we now have another option to try pre season.

Hope he doesn't end up a Jack ( sorry ) of all trades, Master of none.
Keeping the Faith since '74.
Jules

Postby Dahboy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:07 am

Blue_Barber wrote:All I'll say is Greg Halford can play anywhere.....

Anywhere but here please :lol:
Dahboy

Postby MarshfieldIsBlue » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:38 am

Yeah I remember Portsmouth playing Greg Halford at Right Back, and at Rotherham he played Centre Midfield and also as a Striker. Jazz has a decent cross/long range pass on him, he's a decent tackler, I could imagine him doing a job. Can he shoot though?
MarshfieldIsBlue

Postby glas » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:54 am

MarshfieldIsBlue wrote:Yeah I remember Portsmouth playing Greg Halford at Right Back, and at Rotherham he played Centre Midfield and also as a Striker. Jazz has a decent cross/long range pass on him, he's a decent tackler, I could imagine him doing a job. Can he shoot though?

Probably shoot better than Harris or Hoillet, then again who can't?
glas

Postby welshrarebit » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:42 am

I'd be happy to give him a go. What I like more though is his attitude. He is basically saying I want to be on that field and I'll play anywhere you need me to. Great attitude
welshrarebit

Postby lathamgaffney » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:24 pm

Sven wrote:
lathamgaffney wrote:No thanks. He's unproven there and never played there.

Did you actually read the OP? :shock:

It said (quote): “I started off as a midfielder and played a couple of games there when I was at Swansea..."

Sems he has played there and we'll not know unless we give him a chance (maybe pre-season) will we? ;)

I'm with Tony Blue Williams on Jazz. I rate him and think he had a raw deal from a certain element when he first arrived but has since (ironically) proven himself to be an astute acquisition for the club :ayatollah:

Well, either way it's not his preferred position after all of his football career so far. Josh Magennis was a goalkeeper turned striker! :lol:
09/01/2015 - The Rebirth of the Bluebirds

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LathamGaffney
lathamgaffney

Postby worcester_ccfc » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:46 pm

I think he can make the right-back spot his own. Highly rated and Warnock has brought him back to his best. Can always help out in midfield if we have injury problems.

Think the big battles in defence will be Paterson v Bennett and Manga v Bamba v Morrison.

I think Jazz will have a great season, and potentially a future captain.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

worcester_ccfc

Postby Sven » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:57 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:I think he can make the right-back spot his own. Highly rated and Warnock has brought him back to his best. Can always help out in midfield if we have injury problems.

Think the big battles in defence will be Paterson v Bennett and Manga v Bamba v Morrison.

I think Jazz will have a great season, and potentially a future captain.

Captain?? Now there's a thought! :thumbup: :ayatollah:
Sven

Return to General Chat