Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

DO CITY NOW HAVE THE BEST DEFENCE IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP?

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:31 am

Has Neil Warnock assembled the best defence in the Championship at Cardiff City?
By Jamie Kemble

Wednesday 28th June 2017

Bruno Ecuele-Manga’s new deal at Cardiff City means Neil Warnock will have a wealth of talent to call upon in the defensive department next season.

The Bluebirds looked set to lose Bruno Ecuele-Manga after they tabled an offer with a reduced wage for the high-earning defender.

However, Manga resisted offers from a number of Turkish clubs and penned a new two-year deal with the club he has represented since 2014.

The Bluebirds retaining Manga means Neil Warnock now has a wealth of experience to call upon, and he may well possess the best defence in the Championship on paper.

The likes of Aston Villa, Derby County and Leeds United certainly put up competition for the league’s best defence.

Those teams share out some top talent with the likes of James Chester, Richard Keogh and Pontus Jansson.

But Neil Warnock’s choices at Cardiff City will have a number of Championship managers feeling envious this summer.

There will be serious competition in the back-line during pre-season and indeed across the course of next season.

Warnock has his work cut out in selecting who makes the starting line-up for that opening game at Burton Albion, but here’s who he has to consider.

Cardiff may have offered their highest earner a reduced contract, but they have still gone out to make sure he remains in South Wales.

That says a lot about what Neil Warnock thinks of the Gabon international, and he would be heading for the exit door if he didn’t have a strong chance of featuring regularly next season.

A composed head in the back-line, Manga provides quality for the Bluebirds and massively helps transitions from the defence to the midfield.

He’s not quite as perfect as many believe him to be – Manga isn’t fantastic clearing the ball if it comes at him at knee-height and often leads to some sloppy corners – so he’s not a sure bet, but he’ll remain one of the favourites on paper to secure a starting spot.

Sean Morrison

Rumours suggest Morrison was subject to a bid from Sheffield Wednesday this summer, but there’s no chance Neil Warnock was willing to lose his captain.

Morrison is a fantastic leader on and off the pitch, and for that reason he has a huge chance of starting the season.

The centre back is a steady choice at Championship level and he probably provides more goals than most players in his position at this level.

He is known for falling asleep at times and can be found a little too far from his marker, but when in form, there aren’t too many stronger.

Sol Bamba

A Neil Warnock favourite, Sol Bamba is the man competing with Manga and Morrison for a place in the starting XI at the Pirelli on opening day.

The Bluebirds boss could opt to go with a back five to accommodate three of his best centre backs, and that would make things easier for him, but in a back four, it will be difficult.

Sol Bamba was terrific after signing in October last season and barely put a foot wrong – Warnock liked him so much that he even featured in midfield at times.

An experienced centre-back with the perfect tackle in his locker, Bamba is a huge asset for next season and he could keep Manga out of the team on opening day.

Matthew Connolly

Connolly is probably the least likely of the four centre backs to appear on the team sheet against Burton Albion in August.

Despite picking up Player of the Year for the 2015/16 season, everything seemed to go wrong for him last season and he couldn’t manage any sort of run in the team.

Having said that, Warnock does like him having worked with him at QPR in the past, and he impressed on the final day of last season against Huddersfield.

Connolly can be a brilliantly composed defender on his day, providing the relaxed approach often needed to settle a back four, but it’s unlikely he will keep Morrison, Bamba and Manga out of the team early in the season.

Joe Bennett

Onto the full-backs and Joe Bennett enjoyed a brilliant end to the season with the Bluebirds after joining from Aston Villa last summer.

He endured a troubling start through injury and then some poor form, but he seemed to improve as the season went on and enjoyed a really solid back-end of the season.

Bennett is quick and agile, he provides a lot going forward and will be providing stiff opposition to his fellow full-backs.

He has his work cut out for an opening day start, but a lot can happen between now and the start of August.

Lee Peltier

Peltier enjoyed a stunning season under Neil Warnock last season, providing solidarity and consistency to the back-line.

He doesn’t tend to get forward too often, but he is a safe option that Warnock can truly trust.

Peltier has also won the trust of the Cardiff City fans and that’s simply because he rarely makes anything resembling a mistake in that full-back position.

He missed a chunk of the latter stages of last season through injury, but he’s fit and ready for pre-season – Peltier is very likely to begin the season in the starting XI.

Jazz Richards

The Welsh international had a tough start to his Cardiff City career – he missed the early part of Neil Warnock’s reign through injury.

However, slowly and surely he has climbed into Warnock’s thoughts and become one of his favourite choices in the full-back birth.

Richards is another who has steadily improved as the season has progressed and he will be a big part of next season.

He offer so much going forward and he has improved his defensive game also – that makes him a likely choice to start the season on the opposite side from the trustworthy Lee Peltier.

Callum Paterson

The Scottish international is a big addition to Cardiff’s back-line being a powerhouse defensively and offensively.

He has a lot to offer the Bluebirds next season and there are a lot of fans looking forward to seeing him play.

However, he won’t be available for the first couple of months next season due to a long-term injury he picked up at the end of last term.

That means he will need to work hard to get his opportunity, but if he displays the quality he did in Scotland, he won’t have a problem making his mark.

(Featured images: Jon Candy)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: DO CITY NOW HAVE THE BEST DEFENCE IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP?

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:54 am

Totally agree with this article

We now have the defensive depth, now lets get the midfield and forward aligned and we have a very interesting season to look forward too.

Well done Warnock and CCFC for securing Bamba which is a huge signing for us.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:14 am

cardiffblue74 wrote:Totally agree with this article

We now have the defensive depth, now lets get the midfield and forward aligned and we have a very interesting season to look forward too.

Well done Warnock and CCFC for securing Bamba which is a huge signing for us.

Agree a few solid additions to midfield and attack and I think we could give the play offs a right go.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:15 am

If he continues to play Morrisson then no.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:30 am

Fair play to Manga, accepting a reduced wage is unheard of these days!

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:11 pm

We certainly have a lot of options, I wonder if we have to many options when you think about the wage bill.

Will reserve judgement of Paterson as I’ve seen next to nothing of him but everything I’ve read has been good.

I do hope Manga and Bamba are first choice though

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:25 pm

2blue2handle wrote:We certainly have a lot of options, I wonder if we have to many options when you think about the wage bill.

Will reserve judgement of Paterson as I’ve seen next to nothing of him but everything I’ve read has been good.

So who would you shift off the wage bill? Long season so I think be better off keeping them :thumbup:

Also has anyone else noticed that whatever article you read they always seems to mention the improvements in players now. Is that down to NW and his staff or the players wanting to play for him and now knowing what is wanted from them and also knowing how they should play ie, A plan ? thoughts please.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:26 pm

You can now begin to see Warnocks way of thinking.Every season you see 6 to 8 teams do well till xmas and then fade when injuries and suspensions kick in.Rather than panic buy in Jan because somethings not working or you need a striker or a CH to get you out of the brown stuff he'll get most of what he wants in now and with clever rotation might be able to kick on with what he's already got at the club.It would be extremely interesting if we could compare what NW's squad to what Malky started with the season we went up as Champs.
Also I seem to remember we were -11 GD when NW took over and Finished the season on -1 so in that regard he improved the defense tremendously so I'm optimistic on that score.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:42 pm

Jules wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:We certainly have a lot of options, I wonder if we have to many options when you think about the wage bill.

So who would you shift off the wage bill? Long season so I think be better off keeping them :thumbup:

Also has anyone else noticed that whatever article you read they always seems to mention the improvements in players now. Is that down to NW and his staff or the players wanting to play for him and now knowing what is wanted from them and also knowing how they should play ie, A plan ? thoughts please.

No doubt better off keeping them but if we need wages to pay for other positions then this is where I would look.

I struggle to see how Jazz, Connolly and Peltier are all going to get game time.

Personally id ditch one of them and Morrison and bring in a good younger CB

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:00 pm

Tricky one, suppose IF one had to go it would be Jazz as the other two can play right across the back as for Morrison he seems to be a favourite personally I think he drifts out of games to often but hey I'm sure Neil knows more than me :D

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:30 pm

You'd have thought by now the time for talking is on the pitch not in some rag

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... er-7364089

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... t-11901732