Is this a new low for FAW League

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Is this a new low for FAW League

Postby dogfound » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:36 am

Sven wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Sven wrote:I can describe what went wrong for semi and non-professional Welsh teams previously playing happily in the vastly superior and competitive English pyramid in two simple words...Alun and Evans

He oversaw the ruination of many teams ambitions to climb through the English Leagues (as they had done for so many years)

He saw the end of the path of Welsh Referees being able to reach the pinnacle of their trade in English professional football, which had been so graced by their Welsh predecessors, such as Clive 'The Book' Thomas, Keith Cooper, Roger Gifford, Howard King, John Lloyd, Jack Flye and others

He oversaw the end of The Welsh Cup as we knew it (ending ANY Welsh club's only realistic route into Europe at that time) and I also recall Welsh-based teams literally being bullied into joining the FAW or (as did Newport County) having to play their 'home' games over the border!

Even Sam Hammam (at one point) suggested our club could eventually join in and play in Europe every season! :shock:

UEFA would like nothing more than all the Welsh professional clubs to join the League of Wales; and having a 'Reserve Team' in there would help their cause and not ours!

Currently, longevity and precedent are what are keeping Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and Wrexham in the English pyramid and with that in mind, they are all best staying away from the FAW and the League of Wales, if they now what what is best for their long-term English League futures

Even if done with the best of intentions by the 'pro' clubs, someone somewhere at the FAW or at UEFA will use it for their political ends...just as the guy mentioned at the top of this post did a few years ago! ;) :(

I agree with just about all of that, but isn't there a possibility for a partnership/feeder agreement between say Barry/Cardiff, Cwmbran/Newport, TNS/Wrexham and Llanelli/Swansea in the same way Manchester United used to have a tie up with Royal Antwerp in Belgium where players were sent out on loan so they could progress?

By proxy Barry vs. Llanelli would become a Cardiff/Swansea game in the WPL and could possibly boost interest.

Tony, I'd love to think that would work in a similar fashion (to some extent, isn't that what we do currently with Vincent Tan's other clubs?) but I think that is different to having a City 'team' in the League of Wales

It also raises the question about the possibility of actually playing Tan's other clubs in some sort of arrangement, but sadly I simply don't trust either the FAW or UEFA and wouldn't want to enter anything without cast-iron guarantees written in stone!

It wasn't that long ago we had to sweat on a decision from The FA/UEFA regarding whether we could play 'on behalf of the English League' if we had won the FA Cup/League Cups OR finished runners-up to a team already qualified for Europe through another route, e.g. Champions League via a Top Four Premier League finish :ayatollah:

im in a minority here but i dont want us involved im the welsh league in any capacity..
i am a Cardiff fan and this bunch had no problems in effectively kicking us out of the Welsh cup all dreaming of playing at the san siro..well its parks pitches in GIB so they can suck it up.
as for loaning out players. who exactly? huws O Keefe etc who would then be worth zero..or kids to be knocked about by journeymen .
agree with you mate.
dogfound

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby Wayne S » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:52 am

An idea that will probably be scoffed at...

You should get a free season ticket for your chosen LOW team with every ST bought for Swansea or Cardiff.

Have them play their games at differing times and get the fans through the gate. The club will benefit from takings in refreshments alone.

I know the fans who go to LOW games may ask why they shouldnt get free tickets but they are not having to cough up for the much more expensive Premiership or Championship ST's
Wayne S

Postby Dobbin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:54 am

Europa are not a bad side - they have just won the three trophies this season and stopped my club lincoln red imps from winning the league for the 15th time in a row.

The Gibraltar league is a lot more competitive now than the last few seasons with Europa and st josephs brining a lot of Spanish players.

Had it not have been so competitive like the Welsh league with TNS winning the league by 27 points I believe then you would not have got this result
Dobbin

Postby Blue_Barber » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:01 pm

Remember when Barry weren't bad and played a Jose Mourinhio led Porto!!
Blue_Barber

Postby Sven » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:09 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:Remember when Barry weren't bad and played a Jose Mourinhio led Porto!!

The demise of Barry Town was a sad thing for local and Welsh football :cry:

I wish the League of Wales well but I just don't see any place/part in it for the professional clubs, assuming they want to maintain their status in the Football League :thumbup:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby glyncoed4 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:41 pm

Spot on sven to big a risk to take do the English FA really want any Welsh teams in the premier league i don't think so tbh i don't think the faw has ever done any of the the Welsh teams playing in the English leagues any favours so why worry about Welsh league
glyncoed4

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:06 pm

Sven wrote:

Tony, I'd love to think that would work in a similar fashion (to some extent, isn't that what we do currently with Vincent Tan's other clubs?) but I think that is different to having a City 'team' in the League of Wales

It also raises the question about the possibility of actually playing Tan's other clubs in some sort of arrangement, but sadly I simply don't trust either the FAW or UEFA and wouldn't want to enter anything without cast-iron guarantees written in stone!

It wasn't that long ago we had to sweat on a decision from The FA/UEFA regarding whether we could play 'on behalf of the English League' if we had won the FA Cup/League Cups OR finished runners-up to a team already qualified for Europe through another route, e.g. Champions League via a Top Four Premier League finish :ayatollah:

Your probably right the red tape would scupper the idea. It is a shame we can't help the LOW in some way as it is embarrassing seeing the pathetic results in Europe.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Blue_Barber » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Wayne S wrote:An idea that will probably be scoffed at...

You should get a free season ticket for your chosen LOW team with every ST bought for Swansea or Cardiff.

Have them play their games at differing times and get the fans through the gate. The club will benefit from takings in refreshments alone.

I know the fans who go to LOW games may ask why they shouldnt get free tickets but they are not having to cough up for the much more expensive Premiership or Championship ST's

Not a bad idea but you'd have to include Newport too, you could then carve up LOW between them- what would be the benefit to LOW clubs as well? And would it affect the second and third tier attendances??
Blue_Barber

Postby Sven » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:47 pm

Sven wrote:

Your probably right the red tape would scupper the idea. It is a shame we can't help the LOW in some way as it is embarrassing seeing the pathetic results in Europe.

Tony, I couldn't agree more but when it comes to the FAW and UEFA, I have the motto "In no one we trust!" :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Blue_Barber » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:56 pm

Why is it the Welsh clubs have to go to the FAW as well as FA when they get bookings?

Especially since they do naff all for our teams anyway
Blue_Barber

Postby Sven » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:06 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:Why is it the Welsh clubs have to go to the FAW as well as FA when they get bookings?

Have to say I disagree hugely with that happening, as I feel any punishments should be meted out by the governing body appropriate to the competition they are in, i.e. The Football League, The FA, UEFA, etc. :(

Usually it doesn't but on occasion it definitely did benefit both Cardiff and Swansea in the Premier League

It's difficult to know how it could be sorted without fans and complications but I always have some sympathy for players who 'lose out' in major competitions (e.g. The Fa Cup final) because they've picked up innocuous Yellow Cards in run-of-the-mill League games at the end of a long season and I feel the same about 'Welsh club' players being dealt with by the FAW in a competition that has less than nothing to do with them! ;) :ayatollah:
Sven

Postby Wayne S » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:47 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:Why is it the Welsh clubs have to go to the FAW as well as FA when they get bookings?

I thought this changed a few years back ans we were governed by the FA. Perhaos it was just while we were in the Prem.
Wayne S

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:36 pm

Blue_Barber wrote: even speak with Ireland maybe and have a Gaelic/Celtic league type thing if Rangers and Celtic ever leave Scotland then we could even invite the Scots!! Lmao

I was just thinking this myself - a Welsh/Irish league run in the summer could do very well commercially in my opinion. Lots of nice away trips over the Irish Sea would be quality! :thumbup:
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:52 am

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
Blue_Barber wrote: even speak with Ireland maybe and have a Gaelic/Celtic league type thing if Rangers and Celtic ever leave Scotland then we could even invite the Scots!! Lmao

I was just thinking this myself - a Welsh/Irish league run in the summer could do very well commercially in my opinion. Lots of nice away trips over the Irish Sea would be quality! :thumbup:

It sort of works with the Celtic League in Rugby. Not sure though that the all mighty UEFA would allow it or even if the Irish League needs the Welsh teams.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby phildavies » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:42 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:

It sort of works with the Celtic League in Rugby. Not sure though that the all mighty UEFA would allow it or even if the Irish League needs the Welsh teams.

It doesn't but a celtic cup could be good with the Welsh, Irish and Northern Irish prem teams
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby griff105 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:19 pm

TNS go through tonight (though you will do well to see mention of it on BBC)

Rangers out :lol: :o
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor
griff105

Postby phildavies » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:38 am

griff105 wrote:TNS go through tonight (though you will do well to see mention of it on BBC)

Rangers out :lol: :o

And yes their are still many scots who are deluded and think the SPL is level or even better than the championship I'm telling you now 3rd from the champ wouldn't have lost over 2 legs to a team from Luxemburg :lol:
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby Wayne S » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:20 am

Well done TNS in turning it around and well done on Rangers for throwing it away.
Wayne S

Postby moonboots » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:05 pm

Wayne S wrote:New Saints ranked 239 in Europe beaten at home by a Gibralta team (Europa FC) ranked 421.

Having looked at the UEFA coefficients almost all of the Welsh teams are right at the bottom totally at odds with the national team.

I know internationally we benefit from our proximity to England but something needs to be done.

The worst decision ever was to not fight FIFA when they wanted the Welsh teams out of the English League System.

TNS salvaged the tie with a 3-1 away win and go through to the next round. :thumbup:
moonboots

Postby BlueGog » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:43 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:

You could add the Breton teams to the mix Lorient, Guingamp, Rennes and Nantes all playing in the French prem. Would make a good competition.
BlueGog

Postby griff105 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:55 pm

BlueGog wrote:
ealing_ayatollah wrote:

You could add the Breton teams to the mix Lorient, Guingamp, Rennes and Nantes all playing in the French prem. Would make a good competition.

Prius the a Cornish team and the Isle of Mann :occasion5:
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor
griff105

Previous

Return to General Chat