Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" NEIL WARNOCK / RICKIE LAMBERT "

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:41 pm

RICKIE LAMBERT: WARNOCK WARNS STRIKER OVER GAME TIME.

By Ian Hunt
BBC Wales Sport

burtoncardiff_06.jpg

England international Rickie Lambert is unlikely to play many Cardiff City games in 2017-18, says boss Neil Warnock.

The former Liverpool striker, 35, was Cardiff's star signing when he joined from West Brom in the summer of 2016.

Warnock says he will prefer Kenneth Zohore and new signing Danny Ward.

"If Zahore's fit and Ward's fit, he's not going to get much (game time) at all, is he? He's not daft," said Warnock.

Lambert scored only four goals in 13 league starts in 2016-17.

"It's a catch-22 situation for Rickie - he wants to get fit enough to play enough in the Championship, yet he needs games to get himself fit," said Warnock.

"We haven't been able to do that on either front."

Back in training

Former Cardiff boss Paul Trollope signed Lambert on a two-year deal in August, 2016.

The last of Lambert's four Cardiff goals came in a 3-1 defeat at Aston Villa on 26 November.

He was restricted mostly to substitute appearances under Warnock as Zohore established himself as Cardiff's first-choice striker.

"We're back in training this week so I'll be having a chat with Rickie and one or two others over the next week or so," said Warnock.

"I think it (Lambert's future) will be sorted over the next fortnight. I can't see it dragging on into the summer."

Signings on Warnock's mind

Warnock has also confirmed he wants to sign a further three players before the new season.

Cardiff have already Ward from Rotherham United.

The Bluebirds have also recruited goalkeepers Lee Camp and Neil Etheridge on free transfers, as well as Scotland defender Callum Paterson and winger Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.

"I'd like to bring in probably two midfield players, at least one of them being able to play in the hole behind a striker," said Warnock.

"And I'd like to sign another utility (player), a Jonny Hayes (former Aberdeen winger who went to Celtic) type player that I was looking at earlier in the window."

Warnock also confirmed he hopes to agree a new contract for defender Sol Bamba, and insisted midfielder Aron Gunnarsson was still a big part of his plans despite reports linking the Iceland international with moving away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " NEIL WARNOCK / RICKIE LAMBERT "

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:47 pm

TrueBlue99 wrote:RICKIE LAMBERT: WARNOCK WARNS STRIKER OVER GAME TIME.

By Ian Hunt
BBC Wales Sport

burtoncardiff_06.jpg

England international Rickie Lambert is unlikely to play many Cardiff City games in 2017-18, says boss Neil Warnock.

The former Liverpool striker, 35, was Cardiff's star signing when he joined from West Brom in the summer of 2016.

"If Zahore's fit and Ward's fit, he's not going to get much (game time) at all, is he? He's not daft," said Warnock.

"It's a catch-22 situation for Rickie - he wants to get fit enough to play enough in the Championship, yet he needs games to get himself fit," said Warnock.

Back in training

Former Cardiff boss Paul Trollope signed Lambert on a two-year deal in August, 2016.

The last of Lambert's four Cardiff goals came in a 3-1 defeat at Aston Villa on 26 November.

He was restricted mostly to substitute appearances under Warnock as Zohore established himself as Cardiff's first-choice striker.

"We're back in training this week so I'll be having a chat with Rickie and one or two others over the next week or so," said Warnock.

"I think it (Lambert's future) will be sorted over the next fortnight. I can't see it dragging on into the summer."

Warnock has also confirmed he wants to sign a further three players before the new season.

The Bluebirds have also recruited goalkeepers Lee Camp and Neil Etheridge on free transfers, as well as Scotland defender Callum Paterson and winger Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.

"I'd like to bring in probably two midfield players, at least one of them being able to play in the hole behind a striker," said Warnock.

"And I'd like to sign another utility (player), a Jonny Hayes (former Aberdeen winger who went to Celtic) type player that I was looking at earlier in the window."

Warnock also confirmed he hopes to agree a new contract for defender Sol Bamba, and insisted midfielder Aron Gunnarsson was still a big part of his plans despite reports linking the Iceland international with moving away.

Sounds like lambert is going to be released

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:48 pm

Not surprised what he says about Lambert. As he says, if Ward and Zohore are fit then he's not going to get much time if any.

Interesting what he says about wanting a player to play in behind the striker as well as a Jonny Hayes-type player.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:02 pm

wez1927 wrote:
TrueBlue99 wrote:RICKIE LAMBERT: WARNOCK WARNS STRIKER OVER GAME TIME.

By Ian Hunt
BBC Wales Sport

burtoncardiff_06.jpg

Back in training

Sounds like lambert is going to be released

Yes it does, I can't see him being at the club for much longer. Warnock has basically said that he is the last choice for our forwards and should move on if he wants to be playing.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:08 pm

If he's on a fair wage, he could just sit in the reserves / on the bench or wherever and just pick up a fat wage for another season.
I can see him going (maybe Bristol rovers, Swindon) and us paying £10k and the other club paying around the same.
Can't see him just walking away.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:12 pm

Manga situation needs sorting too but he never mentioned defence so is he staying ?

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:07 pm

I think he will be off soon.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:10 pm

Ibby wrote:I think he will be off soon.

:wave:

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:17 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:If he's on a fair wage, he could just sit in the reserves / on the bench or wherever and just pick up a fat wage for another season.
I can see him going (maybe Bristol rovers, Swindon) and us paying £10k and the other club paying around the same.
Can't see him just walking away.

Lambert wont leave without every last farthing of his contract paid up. It may be better for us to loan him out and at least we get something towards the wages even if it is paltry 5k a week. Otherwise we pay him and he signs for someone else with a nice little earner on top - just like he did with his move from West Brom to us.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:54 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
Ibby wrote:I think he will be off soon.

:wave:

Sure looks like it, Warnock doesn't feck about does he !!!!

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:41 pm

I actually can't see a future for Ricky Lambert in the Championship. Could he hack League One? Ship him back to Bristol Rovers, I'm sure they'll have him, especially as they need a target man as Matty Taylor ditched them for Bristol City. He can help the two Welsh lads Harrison and Bodin to keep up their scoring runs. Failing that, ask Newport County how much they could chip in for Lambert's wages, and send him into League Two where he'll face the likes of Alan Smith, John Parkin, and other strikers of old. :)

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:46 am

MarshfieldIsBlue wrote:I actually can't see a future for Ricky Lambert in the Championship. Could he hack League One? Ship him back to Bristol Rovers, I'm sure they'll have him, especially as they need a target man as Matty Taylor ditched them for Bristol City. He can help the two Welsh lads Harrison and Bodin to keep up their scoring runs. Failing that, ask Newport County how much they could chip in for Lambert's wages, and send him into League Two where he'll face the likes of Alan Smith, John Parkin, and other strikers of old. :)

Send him here, send him there, send him to league 2?
He's under contract, he doesn't need to go anywhere if he doesn't want to!

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:46 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
MarshfieldIsBlue wrote:I actually can't see a future for Ricky Lambert in the Championship. Could he hack League One? Ship him back to Bristol Rovers, I'm sure they'll have him, especially as they need a target man as Matty Taylor ditched them for Bristol City. He can help the two Welsh lads Harrison and Bodin to keep up their scoring runs. Failing that, ask Newport County how much they could chip in for Lambert's wages, and send him into League Two where he'll face the likes of Alan Smith, John Parkin, and other strikers of old. :)

Quite right he doesn't need to go anywhere if he doesn't want to. But I think the point is there are other options which include being loaned out to other clubs who could at least make a contribution towards his wage if he was in agreement.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:48 am

Agreed considering his injury problems it is hard to see how he has any kind of playing future.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:48 am

We are all allowed some 'wishful thinking' :laughing6:

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:27 am

Jules wrote:

Some would say signing him the first place as a solution to our goal scoring problems was 'wishful thinking' ;)

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:10 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Jules wrote:

Some would say signing him the first place as a solution to our goal scoring problems was 'wishful thinking' ;)

Tony, I thought that was called 'desperation ' :thumbup:

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:45 am

Perfect scenario - send him to Liverpool, not that the big two would have him BUT I could see maybe Tranmere or City of Liverpool FC signing him up....maybe

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:07 am

In retrospect, clearly a poor signing for/by Cardiff City FC last season BUT what if the guy had come in, got fit and scored the goals we had hoped for in the Championship? ;)

We can all be frustrated by Lambert's lack of action/product last season; particularly given his wages and reputation but the simple fact is no one could have foreseen how poorly it would turn out, could they?

Neil Warnock appears to have made his decision on who his front two are going to be (hopefully with additions to come) but that doesn't mean there isn't a role for a fit Lambert should he not move on, does it?

Financially, Lambert as a substitute (at best) is not good for City on those apparent wages and a move would likely suit both parties. However, if he is to stay, then we should not cast him aside (as some on here would like) but use him to our advantage whenever the situation (and Neil Warnock) calls for it

Personally, I'd still like him to come back fit, raring to go and eager to prove a point. People who know him say he is that kind of character and that just may be to our advantage! :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:18 am

You are quite right in what you say. I must admit i have knocked him a few times. He did play well against the away game with Aston Villa and took his goal well. I think if he stays he could be a good impact player, the same as Kevin Phillips!

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:08 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Jules wrote:

I was one who didn't think this was a good signing from the start .... but wishful thinking by most is correct.
The reported wages we are paying an ageing, injured croc is bordering on the obscene.