Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Big signing?

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:31 pm

With Warnock's budget reported to be in the region of £6-£8m and the fact that other than Paterson (£400k compensation) and Ward at £1.6m - all of our signings have been on a free. Granted, the budget may take wages into account but does anyone see us paying a "large" fee (e.g. £3-5m) on one player??

Re: Big signing?

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:33 pm

I don't see it.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:35 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:I don't see it.

What makes you think that? I know wages may also count but can't see them being huge under Warnock and now that Tan is keeping a close eye. That being said I can't see much room for real improvement unless we spend £5m+

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:39 pm

sam gallagher i think :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:40 pm

I hope not. We have been down the route of spending big money on one player and it hasn't worked out for us - it's always going to be a big gamble.

Would much rather see us bring in three or four decent players at Championship level, than spend a lot of money on one player.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:50 pm

I like the way Warnock has done his business so far. He's put together a squad that looks competitive and up to the job to improve on last season without spending big bucks. If we were to go with what we got now I'd be relatively pleased but I wouldn't be 100% confident that we could have a good go at the play offs. If the budget is there then we need a proper quality central midfielder and at least 1 more striker. I'm sure there's a gem out there in the loan market. I trust Warnock to make the right signings.

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:56 pm

pengamblue wrote:sam gallagher i think :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Think you might be right there! Forgot about that link

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:57 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:I hope not. We have been down the route of spending big money on one player and it hasn't worked out for us - it's always going to be a big gamble.

Would much rather see us bring in three or four decent players at Championship level, than spend a lot of money on one player.

I do agree in some respect, but I think the risk has been reduced due to the new system. And I feel like we've already signed a few decent championship players and we're lacking that stand out performer (except probably Zohore). I feel like a big signing (in the number 10 role) would be best

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:59 pm

GotMeSingingTheBlues wrote:I like the way Warnock has done his business so far. He's put together a squad that looks competitive and up to the job to improve on last season without spending big bucks. If we were to go with what we got now I'd be relatively pleased but I wouldn't be 100% confident that we could have a good go at the play offs. If the budget is there then we need a proper quality central midfielder and at least 1 more striker. I'm sure there's a gem out there in the loan market. I trust Warnock to make the right signings.

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Totally agree, especially with the fact we need a new central midfielder! Got a few solid ones but we need that quality number 10 like Mutch, Dæhli and Kimbo should've been!

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:53 pm

Wages are part of the budget - it was reported .

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:38 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:

What makes you think that? I know wages may also count but can't see them being huge under Warnock and now that Tan is keeping a close eye. That being said I can't see much room for real improvement unless we spend £5m+

Warnock is always capable of making improvements on the cheap. I can see 1 or 2 more players coming in with no more than 2/3m spend between them. That's just my guess to be honest but I'd be shocked if we spent anywhere more than that.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:57 pm

We've made our big signing spending 1.6 million on Danny Ward haven't we?

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:22 am

TAP_Sheep wrote:With Warnock's budget reported to be in the region of £6-£8m and the fact that other than Paterson (£400k compensation) and Ward at £1.6m - all of our signings have been on a free. Granted, the budget may take wages into account but does anyone see us paying a "large" fee (e.g. £3-5m) on one player??

dont see it myself, large fee invariably means large wages and everything points to us going the other way.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:56 am

TAP_Sheep wrote:

Personally, I just think it's obvious from the way the whole situation is down here.
5m+ and big wages to match? That's virtually blown our budget in one swoop and we also need a couple more players to come in which I think we may see happen if we can shift Noone etc. Just wish we could shift the lump of lard that 'plays' up front for us.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:05 am

I think your on to something -
He's signed the players he needed to boost the squad,
He now needs a few X factor players without an ego.

For me if he sells the dead wood a lot of which is on big money then it frees up wages and fee money-

I'd like to see a creative mid and maybe another forward to provide a decent hub of 4 forwards - I think young Harries needs a decent tutor for centre attack and someone in the mouldy of Charlie Austin would fit the bill well, he knows he league too, and before you think he's out of reach sell the big earners and make him your flag man and we are well in a position to sign him.
I'd reverse for forward someone young and hungry like Gallagher for a £2m would be a steal and an eye to the future.
I'd even look at the big guns to see the loans we could get in that have done some other clubs so well eh Huddersfield

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:42 am

Marquee signing ? I hope that there no more over paid under worked prima donnas coming here, been there, seen that and are still paying for it eg, Cornelius , Daheli , Pit bull , can't even remember the centre halfs name :old:

nah couple of young hungry players in and something off the loan shelf I think then see where we are in January.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:06 pm

Jules wrote:Marquee signing ? I hope that there no more over paid under worked prima donnas coming here, been there, seen that and are still paying for it eg, Cornelius , Daheli , Pit bull , can't even remember the centre halfs name :old:

nah couple of young hungry players in and something off the loan shelf I think then see where we are in January.

And look how we fucked up with Cornelius and Daehli - I wouldn't blame those players more the coaching - Daehli is one of the most influencial players in Celtas team and Cornelius moved for a pittance had a great season and went for another big move.

You don't have to be a pre madonna to be an important marquee signing you can just be experienced and want to do the job, love the game e.g. Larsson/Adams

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:25 pm

Maybe a loanee from the prem will be big so called signing!

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:30 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:
Jules wrote:Marquee signing ? I hope that there no more over paid under worked prima donnas coming here, been there, seen that and are still paying for it eg, Cornelius , Daheli , Pit bull , can't even remember the centre halfs name :old:

And look how we fucked up with Cornelius and Daehli - I wouldn't blame those players more the coaching - Daehli is one of the most influencial players in Celtas team and Cornelius moved for a pittance had a great season and went for another big move.

You don't have to be a pre madonna to be an important marquee signing you can just be experienced and want to do the job, love the game e.g. Larsson/Adams

daehli is on loan at st pauli in the german second division and played a whopping 13 games so hardly influential, i know city fans thought the world of this kid and he did look decent with the ball at his feet but he didnt really create a lot and scored even less i thin the club was right to shift him on and the fact hes done fuk all since says it was the right move,burgstaller onthe other hand was such a mistake to let him leave but hey thats ccfc for you

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:59 pm

Even the frees wont be frees, they will want signing on fees etc

I don't think we need a big name, im more than happy with the way things are shaping up as its stands and have faith in Wanrock to bring in the others needed.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:59 pm

Even the frees wont be frees, they will want signing on fees etc

I don't think we need a big name, im more than happy with the way things are shaping up as its stands and have faith in Wanrock to bring in the others needed.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:44 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:

Can't work out if you agree or disagree there.