" Premier League club open to safe standing "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:02 pm

BBC

26/06/17

West Bromwich Albion say they are willing to use The Hawthorns as part of a pilot scheme for safe standing.

The Premier League wrote to all 20 top-flight clubs about a trial to re-introduce standing areas, which were banned in 1994.

Albion's director of operations Mark Miles said: "We would be very keen to be involved.

"It is the same message I have delivered verbally at previous meetings," he added.

But Miles said that before any scheme can be considered, the case has to be made for legislative change on the grounds of safety.

All-seater stadiums have been compulsory in the top two divisions in England since an inquiry into the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, which claimed the lives of 96 Liverpool fans.

Any change to introduce standing at stadiums in England would need government legislation.

In Scotland, Celtic opened a 2,900-capacity safe standing section last year after the Scottish champions were granted a safe-standing licence by Glasgow City Council.

Miles has visited the rail seating system that has been installed in the north-east corner of Celtic Park.

"There is little doubt that it was clearly welcomed by the supporters as well as creating a unique atmosphere," he added.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " Premier League club open to safe standing "

Postby Sven » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:26 pm

Unfortunately, the Government have reiterated they opposition to 'safe standing' :(

After consulting their advisor-in-chief, a certain Mr Wayne Nash from Cardiff, they are now looking at banning 'home' supporters who are able pitch their voice over 10 metres and are anxious to introduce inertia seat belts to every chair in an effort to limit standing before, during and after a goal is/might be scored

They are further considering giving the best seats in the house to the poor souls who have travelled many miles to watch their team play and will provide entertainment specific for those fans tastes!

Note: Oops, sorry! They've already done that last one at the CCS! :evil:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby dogfound » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:39 pm

in all fairness our club have turned a blind eye to the Canton standing from day one. so dont see it would make a huge difference for us.
dogfound

Postby Sven » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:20 pm

dogfound wrote:in all fairness our club have turned a blind eye to the Canton standing from day one. so dont see it would make a huge difference for us.

Yes, I was being a little tongue-in-cheek there! :thumbup:

My view is that I am all for 'safe standing' where it can be accommodated but the current layout means that some people cannot see the game due to the selfishness of others

Like it or not (and this is not aimed at you) we are all in the same boat when it comes to the rules and the one good thing at our club is the 'tolerance' of standing in the Canton Stand...at least anyone going in there knows the score! :ayatollah:

At well over 6 foot tall, I don't have a problem but there are people around me who miss large parts of the game and it is frustrating for them when they pay the same as the selfish (and occasionally verbally aggressive) crew in front of them!

Just saying, like... :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby dogfound » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:in all fairness our club have turned a blind eye to the Canton standing from day one. so dont see it would make a huge difference for us.

My view is that I am all for 'safe standing' where it can be accommodated but the current layout means that some people cannot see the game due to the selfishness of others

Like it or not (and this is not aimed at you) we are all in the same boat when it comes to the rules and the one good thing at our club is the 'tolerance' of standing in the Canton Stand...at least anyone going in there knows the score! :ayatollah:

At well over 6 foot tall, I don't have a problem but there are people around me who miss large parts of the game and it is frustrating for them when they pay the same as the selfish (and occasionally verbally aggressive) crew in front of them!

i get it mate. and dont understand those that dont..ive seen men with children close to the back of the canton wanting to be one of the boys,then complaining cause the kid cant see..then you get people insisting on standing in the Ninian in front of elderly people........i honestly think the club have been fair.
dogfound

Postby Sven » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:14 am

dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:

i get it mate. and dont understand those that dont..ive seen men with children close to the back of the canton wanting to be one of the boys,then complaining cause the kid cant see..then you get people insisting on standing in the Ninian in front of elderly people........i honestly think the club have been fair.

Agree with you overall (on the standing issue) and I think the club are correct 'as it stands' with the rules (excuse the pun!) :ayatollah:
Sven

Postby MarshfieldIsBlue » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:08 am

I'd love to see West Ham United's London Stadium with standing sections. That'd be decent, ala Dortmund.
MarshfieldIsBlue

Postby Scoularfan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:45 pm

Personally I like to sit ,I don't understand how the game is more exiting stood up ,but some like to stand even though all seater stadiums are proven to be safer
Scoularfan

Postby Sven » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:49 am

Scoularfan wrote:Personally I like to sit ,I don't understand how the game is more exiting stood up ,but some like to stand even though all seater stadiums are proven to be safer

A lot of that was down to stadium design faults at the time and it has also been proven' that 'intelligent design' can make 'safe-standing' equally (and in some circumstances more) safe ;)

Personally, I like to be able to sit down at any event I attend but (as at pop concerts and other events) there will always be those who want to/will stand and some sort of organised accommodation would be good :ayatollah:
Sven

Return to General Chat