CARDIFF MAN GETS 'PLUMB' GLASGOW RANGERS JOB

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:24 am

The Welshman praised by Manchester City chiefs who will now reshape one of the UK's most iconic clubs
By Dominic Booth

Saturday 26th June 2017

Mark Allen is a 54-year-old Cardiff-born former media executive who has recently joined Rangers as director of football

Anybody lauded by former Barcelona chief Txiki Begiristan as a vital figure in Manchester City's astonishing revolution ought to be heralded as one of modern football's big names.

So too anyone who has just been tasked with the mammoth job of restoring Rangers to the summit of Scottish football.

The person in question, however, is a relative unknown; a former semi-professional football for Port Talbot Town and Cwmbran Town, an ex-media executive for American corporation MTV.

And yet he is one of Welsh football's most unsung heroes today.

His name? Mark Allen.

After playing grassroots football in Wales and embarking on an ambitious career in media and business, Allen now finds himself in one of British football's biggest jobs having worked with Begiristan, Pep Guardiola, Roberto Mancini and others to cultivate a Premier League's 'super club'.

It was in eight years as Manchester City's academy director that Allen earned himself a high standing inside the game. His role was vital, but virtually invisible. Now, as he takes a job at Ibrox as Rangers' director of football, the Welshman is finally getting the recognition he deserves.

He arrived at City in July 2009 — a year after the club's very public takeover by Sheikh Mansour — and helped oversee City's youth revolution as the City Football Academy was devised, built and developed, all with the 54-year-old at the centre. Allen aided the ground-breaking move from City's old Platt Lane complex to the new Etihad Campus that now dominates the east Manchester landscape.

Since that takeover in September 2008, City have been serious about youth development and their director of football Begiristan credits Allen with making a major impact at the club.

Allen's work went largely unnoticed by those outside City. Meanwhile the club won two Premier League titles, welcomed megastars like Robinho, David Silva and Sergio Aguero, and changed their manager multiple times. But he is clearly valued within the game and that work has landed the Welshman another big job in British football. One that's arguably bigger than his job at City.

On Wednesday it was announced the Cardiff-born Allen had left Manchester to take up a director of football job at Rangers. He will now be tasked with restoring the Glasgow giants to their former glories after years of uncertainty on and off the pitch.

"I loved every minute of my time with Manchester City, they are a club with fantastic people and fantastic supporters but the time was right for me to look at a fresh challenge and I am joining one of the world's truly great football clubs," said Allen.

"Steeped in history and tradition, I am honoured to join Rangers."

Manchester City chief Begiristan added: "Mark has made a significant impact at Manchester City over the years, and he leaves us with our best wishes for the future."

High praise indeed, but just how did Allen rise to his current status?

The 54-year-old is from an academic background, though football has always been a part of his life. He studied business administration with accounting at the United States International University, a course which eventually earned him a job with pioneering American corporation MTV. A spell with production company Deluxe Digital London followed before Allen made a remarkable return to football — albeit at a much higher level.

Premier League academy directors these days are usually ex-players, club legends or gnarled managers who have been rehoused within the fabric of the club.

For example, Nicky Butt is head of the Manchester United academy. Jody Morris has a role at Chelsea, Craig Bellamy at Cardiff City.

Yet Allen's modest football career doesn't compare to those names. His playing days saw him begin as a youth team player for Swindon Town, before undertaking a football scholarship in San Diego alongside his business studies.

There were later spells in semi-pro football with Port Talbot Town and Cwmbran Town upon his return to the UK aged 24, before the Welshman started to concentrate on business rather than boots. At that point it seemed his connection to elite level sport had ended before it really begun.

But in the mean time Allen studied for a Uefa A coaching licence, something which helped land the plumb job at City.

He's now credited with reshaping the club's academy from Under-9 level up to Under-23s.

The new challenge at Rangers will see Allen involved in almost every facet of the club, not just the academy.

His work will include guiding head coach Pedro Caixinha as the club look to banish its financial demons and push forward, with the hope of toppling perennial Scottish champions Celtic once again.

Allen will act as the mediator between Caixinha and managing director Stewart Robertson, who was delighted to have secured the Welshman's services. The club view Allen's appointment as a coup, such is his stature in the game.

“We are delighted Mark has agreed to move to Glasgow and become our new director of football,” said Robertson. “He is a man of vision who has achieved great success with Manchester City’s academy. He has excellent contacts in football but also the business world and he will be a great asset to Rangers.

“We said we would not rush into an appointment as we wanted the right candidate and we feel Mark is the best man for the job. We look forward to working with him closely in the years ahead in what will be an important role at the club.”

The semi-pro player, turned production exec, turned director of football — and made in Wales as well.
Attachments
City Man.jpg
City Man.jpg (38.62 KiB) Viewed 5106 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: CARDIFF MAN GETS 'PLUMB' GLASGOW RANGERS JOB

Postby dogfound » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:06 am

obviously a good job but is it a step up or a step down from the one he had at City..?
dogfound

Postby Sven » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:09 am

dogfound wrote:obviously a good job but is it a step up or a step down from the one he had at City..?

Reading his comments elsewhere too, I believe he sees it as a new challenge in his life rather than a step up or down; and one I am sure he will be adequately compensated for! ;)

I wish him every success :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Jock » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:49 am

dogfound wrote:obviously a good job but is it a step up or a step down from the one he had at City..?

Smaller club (financialy) than Man City but a job with a lot more responsibility that could be a stepping stone to a similar position in one of the big European Leagues. I wish him well.
Jock

Postby john52 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:54 am

Knowing him .You WOULD be right with that comment
john52

Postby john52 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:55 am

That is about the chalenge
john52

Postby john52 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:59 am

Knowing him .You WOULD be right with that comment
john52

Postby bluespeers » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:08 am

My Ex Striking Partner for Llanrumney in the early 80s, he was still working with Llnanrumney United until just before he went to Man City, good luck Mark. Good guys can do well.

PS

His Uncle is Peter Rodrigues Leicester/Southampton/Wales
bluespeers

Postby Sven » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:31 pm

bluespeers wrote:My Ex Striking Partner for Llanrumney in the early 80s, he was still working with Llnanrumney United until just before he went to Man City, good luck Mark. Good guys can do well.

PS

And famous FA Cup winner :notworthy:

Peter Rodrigues originally from Ely, I believe? :ayatollah:
Sven

Postby MarshfieldIsBlue » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:04 pm

"The person in question, however, is a relative unknown; a former semi-professional football for Port Talbot Town and Cwmbran Town, an ex-media executive for American corporation MTV."

I used to play for Cwmbrân Town . Although in Welsh Division Two and Three. Wonder if the chairman knows him? :)
MarshfieldIsBlue

Postby bluespeers » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:43 am

Sven wrote:
bluespeers wrote:My Ex Striking Partner for Llanrumney in the early 80s, he was still working with Llnanrumney United until just before he went to Man City, good luck Mark. Good guys can do well.

PS

And famous FA Cup winner :notworthy:

Peter Rodrigues originally from Ely, I believe? :ayatollah:

Indeed he was not sure if he was born in Ely however he did go to Llanrumney High school, his photo with Welsh school boy cap was on the wall in the school, he lived in Cannington Avenue. :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
bluespeers

Postby bluespeers » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:50 am

MarshfieldIsBlue wrote:"The person in question, however, is a relative unknown; a former semi-professional football for Port Talbot Town and Cwmbran Town, an ex-media executive for American corporation MTV."

I used to play for Cwmbrân Town . Although in Welsh Division Two and Three. Wonder if the chairman knows him? :)

When he left Llanrumney he went on to play for a few Welsh League clubs, i seem to remember he played a few games for Caldicot Town then went to America on an Scholarship, so played in America for a while, then joined MTV when he came back :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
bluespeers

Postby fred keenor » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:57 pm

Wonder if it's anything to do with man city being banned from any academy signings?
fred keenor

Postby MarshfieldIsBlue » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:58 pm

He went to MTV after Cwmbran Town... I went to Chepstow Town lol Crap! Well done to him!
MarshfieldIsBlue

Postby fred keenor » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:08 pm

Man City academy boss Mark Allen out after transfer ban probe http://dailym.ai/2t0owqS via http://dailym.ai/android
fred keenor

Postby John1952 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:49 am

I DID say he wanted to move on Before. The resultsh
John1952

Postby John1952 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:51 am

IT DID sat that he wanted to move on BEFORE the results
John1952

Postby John1952 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:52 am

I DID say he wanted to move on Before. The resultsh