Central midfield our weakest link

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby DandoCCFC » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:19 pm

After losing our best central midfielder I really am worried who we are going to replace him with, just looking at the central midfielders I think we will struggle with current players in that area and do not stand a chance of a top 6 right now (It is early days in the window and I hope this is addressed).

O'Keefe (likely to leave)
Ralls
Huws (likely to leave)
Gunnarsson
Adeyemi (likely to leave)

On that list for me O'Keefe is the best out of them and I don't understand why we loaned him out as he was our best player in the second half of the season in 15/16.

That midfield just cries out mid table. Thoughts?
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Central midfield our weakest link

Postby City Slicker » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Central midfield has been a problem for us for at least 5-6 seasons, maybe more but it has improved over last season. Apart from Ryan Woods (who we probably can't afford) I can't think of any name at the moment, but I'm sure Warnock is on the case. Personally I would have liked to have seen how Tom Adeyemi would have fared under Warnock
City Slicker

Postby DandoCCFC » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:37 pm

City Slicker wrote:Central midfield has been a problem for us for at least 5-6 seasons, maybe more but it has improved over last season. Apart from Ryan Woods (who we probably can't afford) I can't think of any name at the moment, but I'm sure Warnock is on the case. Personally I would have liked to have seen how Tom Adeyemi would have fared under Warnock

Is he the one from Brentford?

I really think like target men strikers at this club that players of Whittingham's quality was under appreciated.. we get so caught up in people like Gunnarsson who yes gives 110% and is a gutsy player but has no technical ability whatsoever. Literally our fans hate players who are talented and have very good technical attributes.. Daelhi being another one.

Ralls for me needs to step up this season, he did get 6 goals but only 1 assist, the dream for me is Tom Cairney.
I will.

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby FloridaBluebird » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:02 pm

Agreed, CM has to be next signing for us. I am just pleased at the clubs shrewd squad building so early into our summer. Add young Mark Harris to our midfield assets as well, move on a few, hopefully keep Manga and we sincerely have a squad worth getting excited about! My $140 TV subscription is lined up - can't wait!
FloridaBluebird

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:00 am

John Bostock has got his career back on track and he's just been awarded the Ligue 2 player of the year. His form for Lens has probably alerted several clubs, but I think he would be perfect for our midfield.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:06 am

DandoCCFC wrote:
City Slicker wrote:Central midfield has been a problem for us for at least 5-6 seasons, maybe more but it has improved over last season. Apart from Ryan Woods (who we probably can't afford) I can't think of any name at the moment, but I'm sure Warnock is on the case. Personally I would have liked to have seen how Tom Adeyemi would have fared under Warnock

Is he the one from Brentford?

I really think like target men strikers at this club that players of Whittingham's quality was under appreciated.. we get so caught up in people like Gunnarsson who yes gives 110% and is a gutsy player but has no technical ability whatsoever. Literally our fans hate players who are talented and have very good technical attributes.. Daelhi being another one.

Ralls for me needs to step up this season, he did get 6 goals but only 1 assist, the dream for me is Tom Cairney.

Good OP Dando and I agree with all of this as well.
Our midfield is poor for me if we want to go all out for promotion but I'm sure Warnock knows this and is looking to improve it - hopefully with a player who can 'play' and not another Gunna -Rails - Halford. Unless, of course, he's going direct - by-passing midfield and concentrating on set plays because at the moment and going by last years players there's very little creativity.

Happy 21st by the way .... you young b*stard!
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby llan bluebird » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:20 am

if we are playing 2 centre forward with Holiett and Harris or Mendez Laing we can't afford a fancy dan in the middle. I agree with Slicker :o Adeyemi fits the mould perfectly.

I am "all in" on Warnock, so we have to trust him
llan bluebird

Postby AfricanBluebird » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:40 am

llan bluebird wrote:if we are playing 2 centre forward with Holiett and Harris or Mendez Laing we can't afford a fancy dan in the middle. I agree with Slicker :o Adeyemi fits the mould perfectly.

I am "all in" on Warnock, so we have to trust him

Well the challenge with that is playing one up front and two high wingers/forwards is that if you don't have a 'fancy dan' in the midfield then they ain't gonna see much of the ball when other teams play 4 or even 5 in midfield. So I think we do need a more creative playing in midfield as we are quite weak there. However, someone with a decent pass and a spark also needs to work really hard... NW wouldn't have it any other way. I do trust him though as he knows this league inside out and knows what do to.
AfricanBluebird

Postby Llantwit Blue » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:19 am

The first Q&A Warnock did at the stadium, I spoke to him afterwards and he agreed the side lacked a Kevin Nolan type character, a leader, somebody to pull the strings.

Without a doubt this is still the case and no matter who we do or don't bring in between now and the start of the season we need a Midfield General.
Llantwit Blue

Postby MalagaCF » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:02 pm

We have been short of quality in midfield for years.
Perhaps our failing strikers over the last few years would have benefited more with a better midfield.
MalagaCF

Postby DandoCCFC » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:14 am

Huw's more or less or gone and Adeyemi in the same position leaving us with:

Gunnarsson
Ralls
O'Keefe..

Does this mean O'Keefe will be here and Warnock is willing to bury the past otherwise if he goes we will need 3 CMs if we wanna stand a chance. :shock:
I will.

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby norms76 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:59 am

DandoCCFC wrote:Huw's more or less or gone and Adeyemi in the same position leaving us with:

Gunnarsson
Ralls
O'Keefe..

Does this mean O'Keefe will be here and Warnock is willing to bury the past otherwise if he goes we will need 3 CMs if we wanna stand a chance. :shock:

Adeyemi is definitely gone. His contact expires in 3 days so he'll be a free agent come Saturday. Warnock has just said in an interview he wants 3 Midfielders in before we play Taffs Well. I'm quite looking forward to our new look starting 11.
norms76

Postby nubbsy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:02 pm

Remeber we have Harford. But for me he'll never be more than a versatile back up player. We desperately need a solid creative center mid or were Guna suffer.
nubbsy

Return to General Chat