Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Cardiff City get a share of £220m "

Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:06 pm

" Cardiff City get a share of £220m "

BBC

Thursday 1st June 2017

Chelsea were paid £150.8m by the Premier League after winning the 2016-17 title - 50% more than the top earners in 2015-16.

The 2016-17 season was the first of the latest TV deal and saw a total of almost £2.4bn paid to the 20 clubs - up from £1.6bn last season.

Bottom club Sunderland got £93.471m - more than the £93.219m 2015-16 winners Leicester pocketed the previous season.

The figures are based on broadcast and commercial deals plus prize money.

Funds from the Premier League's central commercial deals and overseas broadcast rights are shared equally - as is half of the domestic broadcast income.

A quarter is paid out in prize money based on each club's league position and the other quarter in "facility fees" for each game broadcast on UK television.

Arsenal were the top earners in 2015-16 with £100.9m - but only the three relegated sides of Hull, Middlesbrough and Sunderland were paid less than that figure in 2016-17.

The ratio between the highest and lowest totals paid by the Premier League to its clubs in 2016-17 was 1.61 to 1, the lowest among Europe's top leagues, which means the Premier League is more equal when it comes to sharing revenue than its rivals.

The Premier League also paid out nearly £220m to Aston Villa, Cardiff, Fulham, Newcastle, Norwich, QPR, Reading and Wigan in parachute payments.

Villa, Newcastle and Norwich - the three most recently relegated sides - got almost £41m each.

PREMIER LEAGUE CLUBS 2016/17 - TOTAL PAYMENT FROM PREMIER LEAGUE

Chelsea - 150,811,183
Tottenham Hotspur - 145,461,325
Manchester City - 146,927,965
Liverpool - 146,112,439
Arsenal - 139,636,498
Manchester United - 141,103,138
Everton - 127,800,699
Southampton - 122,450,841
Bournemouth - 118,237,066
West Bromwich Albion - 114,023,291
West Ham United - 116,626,014
Leicester City - 115,820,488
Stoke City - 107,062,381
Crystal Palace - 109,665,104
Swansea City - 103,197,163
Burnley - 101,237,554
Watford - 102,704,194
Hull City - 97,354,336
Middlesbrough - 98,820,976
Sunderland - 93,471,118

Total - 2,398,515,773

PREMIER LEAGUE CLUBS 2016/17 - AMOUNT OF LEAGUE GAMES SHOWN ON LIVE UK TV

Chelsea - 28
Spurs - 25
Man City - 28
Liverpool - 29
Arsenal - 25
Man Utd - 28
Everton - 18
Southampton - 15
Bournemouth - 13
West Brom - 11
West Ham - 15
Leicester - 16
Stoke - 10
Crystal Palace - 14
Swansea - 10
Burnley - 10
Watford - 13
Hull - 10
Boro - 13
Sunderland - 10
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Cardiff City get a share of £220m "

Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:12 pm

I was just about to post this. By my calculations nearly £100m shared between Us, Fulham, Reading, QPR and Wigan. That's £20m shared equally however I don't think it is shared that way. Can't find a figure given to us.

Will this payment be absorbed into the costs for the club, or has our seasons budget of £4/6m come from it? Or will that mean we have a bit extra to spend? Anyone know?

Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:00 pm

Newcastle will not get anything as a relegated side that goes straight back up do not get a parachute payment, but it is put back into the pot to be shared out, so if that figure of £220m is correct more money will be added to that :thumbup:

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:28 am

Obscene amounts of money in the game.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:50 am

Igovernor wrote:Newcastle will not get anything as a relegated side that goes straight back up do not get a parachute payment, but it is put back into the pot to be shared out, so if that figure of £220m is correct more money will be added to that :thumbup:

it says in the article that they get 41million along with Norwich and Villa.

it wouldnt be right that Newcastle dont get any TV money when every team that played in prem last year gets it plus 7 championship teams but the team that won the championship gets nothing.
i think youll find its Newcastles parachute payments next season onwards { which they will no longer require as they get prem money } is what is shared.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:55 am

You are correct

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:05 am

Igovernor wrote:You are correct

yes im pretty sure i am, but it would help us fans if they spelled these things out clearly .
we are interested

Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:15 pm

Parachute payment was £16.3m how much of that will be spent on the squad? You need to spend just to stay in the Championship these days.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:56 pm

morgan_g2 wrote:Parachute payment was £16.3m how much of that will be spent on the squad? You need to spend just to stay in the Championship these days.

all of it plus double digit millions more is the answer like each year since relegation.
our club opperates at a huge loss.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:56 pm

City will get about £16mill next season due to Newcastle going straight back up :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:30 pm

dogfound wrote:
Igovernor wrote:Newcastle will not get anything as a relegated side that goes straight back up do not get a parachute payment, but it is put back into the pot to be shared out, so if that figure of £220m is correct more money will be added to that :thumbup:

it wouldnt be right that Newcastle dont get any TV money when every team that played in prem last year gets it plus 7 championship teams but the team that won the championship gets nothing.
i think youll find its Newcastles parachute payments next season onwards { which they will no longer require as they get prem money } is what is shared.

It's all a little confusing but my understanding is the TV monies are paid in tranches at the start, new year and season's end. So Newcastle would have received £41m in total for this season just finished, but their share for next season is now shared out amongst the other Championship clubs starting with the first payment this summer.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:39 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
dogfound wrote:

It's all a little confusing but my understanding is the TV monies are paid in tranches at the start, new year and season's end. So Newcastle would have received £41m in total for this season just finished, but their share for next season is now shared out amongst the other Championship clubs starting with the first payment this summer.

I hate to say this but the fact is, that under the new deal, parachute payments are now spread out over 3 years, and not 4. As Newcastle have been promoted at the first attempt, the remainder of their parachute payments.....

season two, 2017-18, Newcastle would get £33 million.
season three, 2018-19, Newcastle would get £14 million.

These payments will now be shared equally be the current Premier league clubs. Nothing extra for you guys i'm afraid. Personally speaking, i think it's obscene, and monies such as this should be put into the 'grass roots' pot, but that's the way it is.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:57 pm

64JACK wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I hate to say this but the fact is, that under the new deal, parachute payments are now spread out over 3 years, and not 4. As Newcastle have been promoted at the first attempt, the remainder of their parachute payments.....

These payments will now be shared equally be the current Premier league clubs. Nothing extra for you guys i'm afraid. Personally speaking, i think it's obscene, and monies such as this should be put into the 'grass roots' pot, but that's the way it is.

its always been shared amongst championship clubs.
are you sure about this change.?

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:22 pm

dogfound wrote:
64JACK wrote:
dogfound wrote:

its always been shared amongst championship clubs.
are you sure about this change.?

I've tried to find a link, but it's down clubs (especially Blackpool), but also Hull, Reading etc who have been accused of exploiting the parachute payment system for their own ends. Another example being that if you go up and straight back down, then in future you will receive a reduced payment over 2 years.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:47 pm

I hope that isn't true in a way. As a football fan I would prefer that money to help Championship clubs. They need it. If you share it amongst the Prem it gives no club an advantage over the other, it will just get chewed up by the next greedy agent or player. These Championship clubs need this kind of money to simply survive.