How has Jaap Stam set out his Reading side?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue May 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Jonathan Low, Reading FC writer for GetReading.co.uk

Tuesday 23rd May 2017

What's their style of football?

Reading's style is very much possession based — they like to keep the ball as much as possible and wear sides down. Stam's not one for keeping clean sheets and much prefers to set teams up in an attacking sense rather than play for a clean sheet. It's the Dutch 'total football' style effectively. They can change it up, however and can nullify teams without having that much possession, as they showed in the Fulham play-off semi-final.

Reading manager Jaap Stam

Who has he signed?

Stam bought in a number of players last summer. John Swift had a superb start to the season before an ankle injury in November. Liam Moore has been excellent at centre back while Roy Beerens has been a consistent performer on the wing. Joey van den Berg was a useful addition although he has struggled in recent weeks with injury.

Reading never spend big money on players so all who came in were gambles to an extent. Stam is very much about bringing in players with potential who he can then develop, like Swift and Moore. Callum Harriott and Joseph Mendes have showed promising signs for the future in glimpses this season.

Danny Williams has had an excellent season while the likes of Garath McCleary and Chris Gunter have all impressed. But perhaps the unsung hero is Liam Kelly. He came through the academy and this time last year was at Bath City. Stam is a huge fan of his and has tipped him for the top. He's got a real eye for a pass and is strong despite his diminutive size.

What makes Reading stand out?

Their style of play has made them stand out and not having that many 'big name' players. They keep going to the very end and have a belief instilled by Stam they can win every game. Whenever they are defeated, they react strongly. They haven't lost more than two games in a row in the league all season. They not only grind out wins but tire the opposition out so much they see the wins out comfortably, despite narrow scorelines.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: How has Jaap Stam set out his Reading side?

Postby Wolfpac » Tue May 23, 2017 3:03 pm

Reading are dire to watch and play some right boring football, hope Huddersfield steamroll them in play offs.

Stam one of the most boring managers I've witnessed.
Wolfpac

Re: How has Jaap Stam set out his Reading side?

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Tue May 23, 2017 3:38 pm

Wolfpac wrote:Reading are dire to watch and play some right boring football, hope Huddersfield steamroll them in play offs.

Stam one of the most boring managers I've witnessed.

remember watching them at the sart of the season against us and I thought I was going to fall asleep, it was like watching the championship version of Louis van Gaal's Man Utd. Slow, boring side to side passing with limited shots and no speed.
Bluebird Warrior

Return to General Chat