Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING: 22 DEAD/59 INJURED EXPLOSION AT MANCHESTER ARENA

Mon May 22, 2017 11:13 pm

Confirmed fatalities, very sad news.

UPDATED

23/05/17

■ Twenty-two people were killed and 59 others were injured in an explosion about 10:35 p.m. on Monday in the foyer outside the main hall of the Manchester Arena.

■ Prime Minister Theresa May said the police were treating the incident as “an appalling terrorist attack.”

■ The authorities say a suspect detonated an explosive and was killed in the attack. British officials said they were investigating reports that the suicide bomber used an improvised device containing nuts and bolts as shrapnel.

■ The explosion occurred just as a concert by the American pop star Ariana Grande was ending. Traumatized fans, including children, screamed and ran. Ms. Grande was not injured.

■ Britain’s leading parties agreed to suspend campaigning for the June 8 general election out of respect for the victims of the attack.

Continue reading the main story
■ Parents who were separated from their children during the mayhem were told to go to nearby hotels, where many had taken refuge. Other children were being kept in the arena.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Explosion at Manchester Arena

Mon May 22, 2017 11:15 pm

Magners wrote:Confirmed fatalities, very sad news.

Dreadful! There's a picture on facebook of bodies everywhere in the Metro station. Bloody awful!

'TERROR' AT THE ARENA Manchester terrorist attack hits Ariana Grande arena gig – latest news and live updates

22 people are dead and 59 injured after an explosion following an Ariana Grande gig at the Manchester Arena
Many at the concert were young female fans of the popstar
Police are treating the blast as a “terrorist incident”
Reuters has reported US officials as saying the explosion was caused by a suicide bomber
Grande has tweeted: “I am so so sorry"
PM Theresa May described the attack as 'appalling' and will chair a meeting of the Cobra committee at 9am
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 22, 2017 11:16 pm

Magners wrote:Confirmed fatalities, very sad news.

watching on bbc news 24 now...only bits and pieces of info coming in but looks grim

Mon May 22, 2017 11:19 pm

Dangerous times we live in

Mon May 22, 2017 11:25 pm

Awful, a concert that would be full of teenagers

Arena explosion:
- Children among 22 people dead
- Worst terror attack to hit Britain since July 2005

Tue May 23, 2017 12:16 am

At least 19 dead! :evil:

Tue May 23, 2017 2:48 am

Manchester Arena blast: 19 dead and about 50 hurt

Nineteen people have been killed and about 50 injured in a suspected terror attack at Manchester Arena.

The blast happened at about 22:35 BST on Monday following a pop concert by the US singer Ariana Grande.

The cause is unknown but PM Theresa May said her thoughts were with those affected by "what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack".

British Transport Police said the explosion was in the arena's foyer.

The prime minister has suspended her general election campaigning and will chair a meeting of the government's emergency Cobra committee later, in response to the attack.

Mrs May said: "We are working to establish the full details" of what had happened in Manchester. All our thoughts are with the victims and the families of those who have been affected,"

Senior counter-terrorism officers were assembling in London and liaising with the Home Office.

Unconfirmed reports from two unnamed US officials suggested the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber.

The BBC's Tim Ashburner, who is at the scene, spoke to some volunteer paramedics who treated the injured for "shrapnel-like injuries".

Shortly after the blast Manchester Victoria station, which is close to the concert venue, was closed and all trains cancelled.

Greater Manchester Police carried out a precautionary controlled explosion in the Cathedral Garden area of the city at about 01:32. The force confirmed it was not a suspicious item.

A number of eyewitnesses have described the confusion in the aftermath.

Andy Holey, who had gone to the arena to pick up his wife and daughter who had been at the concert, said: "As I was waiting, an explosion went off and it threw me about 30ft from one set of doors to the other set of doors. It was definitely an explosion and it was some force. It happened near the box office at the entrance to the Arena."

Emma Johnson said she and her husband were at the arena to pick up her children, aged 15 and 17. "It was definitely a bomb. It was definitely in the foyer," she told BBC Radio Manchester. We were stood at the top of the stairs and the glass exploded - it was near to where they were selling the merchandise. The whole building shook. There was a blast and then a flash of fire afterwards. There were bodies everywhere."

The police activity around the arena has been huge. A wide area around the venue itself has been completely taped off, and the crime scene appears to be widening, with police pushing people further and further back.

Manchester Arena, formerly known as the MEN Arena, is the biggest indoor venue in the city with a capacity of around 18,000 for concerts.

The arena foyer connects with Victoria train and tram station, a major hub on the northern edge of the city centre.

The arena regularly hosts concerts by major stars like Ariana Grande - a 23-year-old American TV teen actress-turned-pop star.
She's a big draw for young fans, with hits including Problem, featuring Iggy Azalea, which hit number one in the UK in 2014; and Side To Side, featuring Nicki Minaj, which reached number four last year.

She's currently on a European tour - she's already played Birmingham and Dublin and is due to be at the O2 Arena in London on Wednesday and Thursday.

Pat Carney, Manchester City Council's spokesman for the city centre, said the city's thoughts were with the families of those killed and injured.

"It's a very easy target - a concert hall where young people are enjoying music," he said.

"The public are really co-operating by staying away from what is basically now a crime site. The world we live in, police and the council have emergency procedures that we practise all the time. Obviously everyone in the city is shocked, having seen how young some of these people are"

"The police are treating it as a live site, we don't know if this is the end or there are other incidents in that area... we don't know at the moment."

Tue May 23, 2017 2:51 am

Greater Manchester Police have confirmed that Monday night's fatal incident at the Manchester Arena is being treated as terrorism.

They have also provided a helpline number for friends and relatives concerned about their loved ones. It is: 0161 856 9400.

A police spokesperson explained that 19 people had died in the incident, whilst around 50 were being treated in six local hospitals.

The Greater Manchester force are currently working with national counter-terrorism partners and intelligence authorities as part of their investigation.

They stressed that people should continue to avoid the area around the Manchester Arena as emergency services may be impeded.

Re: BREAKING: EXPLOSION AT MANCHESTER ARENA

Tue May 23, 2017 5:42 am

Firstly, Thoughts go out to all those who have lost someone and those hurt. Terrible scenes and so wrong, its bloody kids for christs sake !!!
Lived in Manchester for a while back in the day when the IRA SCUM were at it so the earlier post wasn't trying to make political gains he was just telling the truth as Corbyn cannot even fetch himself to condemn them. ( Yes, this may not be IRA but same odds ) they are all terrorist scum.

Tue May 23, 2017 6:40 am

My thoughts are with the mums and dads who have lost someone precious.Have to say my guts are churning.

Re: BREAKING: 22 DEAD/59 INJURED EXPLOSION AT MANCHESTER ARE

Tue May 23, 2017 6:44 am

Woke up to this news and feel absolutely gutted.
Children and mothers going to a pop concert.
How anything can justify this is not human.

Families ruined forever.

Kick the cunts out. Drop them off in Syria with the other rats. Pure evil.

I'm no Tory, ukip or right winger -
We've just seen a massive surge in the young registering to vote for labour.
Now the young get attacked.
Make up your own mind with that one.

If Corbyn has any balls - he needs to stand up for British people and our democracy and call a rat a rat and take the rats down.

The rats should not have our privileges and rights and be picked up, flow out and dropped off. No excuses.
Zero tolerance.

We are letting rats breed and its f*cking our country right up.

Sincere thoughts with family, friends of those poor lost and to the emergency services and police who have to deal with this terrible situation

Tue May 23, 2017 7:32 am

The poisonous radicalism is financed from Saudi and other rich Gulf States, yesterday the Yanks announced a $135b trade deal with the Sauds. Meanwhile British children are being slaughtered, Wahhabism is behind all of this but it's the elephant in the room no politician will talk about.

Tue May 23, 2017 7:35 am

Set a nail bomb off at a concert for kids and these cunts think they're going to heaven. What a bunch of twisted Fucks.

Tue May 23, 2017 7:44 am

Muslim immigration simply has to stop.

Tue May 23, 2017 7:44 am

nubbsy wrote:Set a nail bomb off at a concert for kids and these cunts think they're going to heaven. What a bunch of twisted Fucks.

Incredible that in the 21st century over a billion people believe the shite in a 1400 year old book.

Tue May 23, 2017 7:50 am

I am totally lost for words, RIP to all those who never returned home after this family event :(

Tue May 23, 2017 8:13 am

Suspicious package also found at London Victoria station.

Regarding the bombing it is sick imagine this was your 15 yr old daughter, I would be on the first flight to Syria to join in against these c*nts.

Close the borders, up the immigration officers, increase checks on vehicles coming over, get knocking doors down and ship any illegals back.

Tue May 23, 2017 8:22 am

Let us not forget those who will be physically damaged for life.Equally those children and parents who will carry this trauma with them for life.A backward sick depraved religion is at the core of this mess. Pea brained cretins who emerged from a fly infested shitehole are now peddling their filth on the streets of this country.If the bomber is a jihadi returner from Syria who knows what might happen? If this was my family I would want to know why these pieces of putrid filth are left back into this country ? These poor poor families little children slaughtered !!!!

Tue May 23, 2017 8:52 am

SnackaJack wrote:Muslim immigration simply has to stop.

Narrow minded people like you need to pipe down. Are you that deluded to realise ISIS aren't muslims, it's the same as the KKK claiming they are Christians.

Tue May 23, 2017 9:08 am

Sand Martin wrote:

Narrow minded people like you need to pipe down. Are you that deluded to realise ISIS aren't muslims, it's the same as the KKK claiming they are Christians.

You really haven't got a handle on this, Islamic State......the clue is in the name. They justify their actions by following Koranic teaching,crucifixion, sex slavery, beheadings are all in there, when "moderates" or lefty apologists claim it's taken out of context tell me what is the correct context for soon shall we cast terror into the hearts of the unbelievers, those who reject faith (Islam) I will punish them in this World and in the hear after, or fight those that believe not in Allah. .

Tue May 23, 2017 9:16 am

There'll be plenty of time for the political fall out but now is not the time. :twisted:

tylorstowm18891 point scoring when kids have been slaughtered just a few hours ago. Shameful.

Tue May 23, 2017 9:16 am

Sand Martin wrote:

I am as open minded as they come. I love multi culturalism. One religion however is a direct threat to Western society.

If British people were going over to Canada for example and bombing them, and murdering their citizens, I would fully expect a ban on all British immigration to Canada and fully understand reasons why us as innocent Brits now cannot go there. The Canadian government would have a duty to protect its people. This is no different.

I am yet to see a Christian or Jewish member of ISIS. You?
Last edited by SnackaJack on Tue May 23, 2017 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue May 23, 2017 9:17 am

Sand Martin wrote:

why dont you and your terrorist excusers just leave it out today eh

Tue May 23, 2017 9:19 am

I've just come home for a break

started crying when driving to a job -

utterly devastating for those involved and the country as a whole.

We must stop the breeding of so many murderers - hell bent on destroying the structure of our society and making people live in fear.

I haven't mentioned religion until now - as murder and evil people are rats - and infestations must be controlled.

so so very sad

Tue May 23, 2017 9:31 am

alfie sherwood wrote:
tylorstown18891 wrote:Welcome to Europe :oops: God help us if Corbyn does get in.

There'll be plenty of time for the political fall out but now is not the time. :twisted:

Point scoring when kids have been slaughtered just a few hours ago. Shameful.

not sure he was point scoring just angry and lashing out.

Tue May 23, 2017 9:34 am

There needs to be consequences to actions.

The Muslim community need to start getting theit act together and working with us on these matters.

Most are moderate I agree but these moderates must have suspicions about these scumbags.

For every attack that happens in the UK the mosque that was attended by the attacker should be destroyed. Give the moderates an incentive to speak out.

Enough is enough

Tue May 23, 2017 9:40 am

Firstly, with tears in my eyes my heart goes out to all those involved in this horrendous attack.
Secondly, all to easy to associate blame to certain people but please let's wait until the government has confirmed responsibility, chances are it's just as likely to be a home bred sad f**k as an immigrant, so let's just confine our thoughts to all the families waking up to find out they have lost someone close to them.

Tue May 23, 2017 9:44 am

Paulwallace wrote:There needs to be consequences to actions.

The Muslim community need to start getting theit act together and working with us on these matters.

Most are moderate I agree but these moderates must have suspicions about these scumbags.

For every attack that happens in the UK the mosque that was attended by the attacker should be destroyed. Give the moderates an incentive to speak out.

Enough is enough

1 in 7 British Muslims have sympathy for ISIS, 40% of young British born Muslims want Sharia Law in this country. If this attack had been perpetrated in Palestine by Jews "moderate" Muslims would hit the streets in their hundreds of thousands, can we expect mass demos by the moderates condemning this latest atrocity.

Tue May 23, 2017 9:49 am

Carpman wrote:Firstly, with tears in my eyes my heart goes out to all those involved in this horrendous attack.
Secondly, all to easy to associate blame to certain people but please let's wait until the government has confirmed responsibility, chances are it's just as likely to be a home bred sad f**k as an immigrant, so let's just confine our thoughts to all the families waking up to find out they have lost someone close to them.

Britain was never a Muslim country though, yet certain towns and cities (Bradford, Luton, Rochdale etc) are being "taken over" and the majority rule. That has happened due to immigration. I would happily bet that this guy/girl was in fact home grown rather than an immigrant, but that still is as a result of immigration somewhere down the line. It needs to stop now to protect future generations, this generation and possibly the next two are utterly f*cked im afraid. The radical Muslim stem of Islam is becoming the norm in this country, yes its a minority but thats still a sh*t tonne of people that now see us as evil infidels and want to murder us in our own streets, and thats sad.

Tue May 23, 2017 9:56 am

I wonder what we will do? let me think oh nothing thats it. Just get someone to make up a stupid sign saying "Manchester together" or something like that. This country has changed into a joke I could see this was a plan all along to get fighters into the country via migrants but our great government couldn't. Yes and before any do gooders on here says you can't blame migrants they deserve to be here, it's people like you my friend that has turned this country upside down.