Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Peter Whittingham Spoke Tonight:

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:15 pm

When Peter Whittingham picked up his award tonight for his 10 years of playing for Cardiff City.

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2017/05/0 ... ms-future/ :bluebird:

Peter Whittingham:

"You obviously know I love this sort of thing..."

"But I just want to say it’s been an honour to represent the club I love for so long."

"It’s been a great accolade, thank you."

Outstanding Contribution Award' winner...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Peter Whittingham Spoke Tonight:

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:21 pm

I would say thats Peter Whittingham saying Good Bye and He's off after Huddersfield Away :bluebird:

"It's been an honour to represent the club I love for so long. It’s been a great accolade, thank you." - Peter Whittingham
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:26 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I would say thats Peter Whittingham saying Good Bye and He's off after Huddersfield Away :bluebird:

It certainly seems that way.
It's been well documented that his missus does not want to leave so maybe a switch to Bristol city, Swindon or Oxford??

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:30 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I would say thats Peter Whittingham saying Good Bye and He's off after Huddersfield Away :bluebird:

It certainly seems that way.
It's been well documented that his missus does not want to leave so maybe a switch to Bristol city, Swindon or Oxford??

She def does not want to.

Be interesting where he goes, def a Champ club I would say as his wages will be high.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:12 pm

To let him go will he a big mistake by Warnock...

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:35 pm

He can stay if he wants.

Just accept a sensible wage/contract.

If he loves the club that much...

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:55 pm

I spoke to him, he said he hasn't been offered a contract but wants to stay

Mon May 01, 2017 12:18 am

KBK-13 wrote:I spoke to him, he said he hasn't been offered a contract but wants to stay

Neil Warnock has already alluded to that and also said he would be speaking to all parties involved in the next week regarding new contracts (or otherwise)

I maintain that there will be an offer made to Whitts and it will be a case of whether that is acceptable to him both financially and with regard to reduced playing time for next season

I my opinion, He certainly has a part to play next season and is worth keeping at the right cost. He has been clear on his desire to stay in the area and (so I am told) has a new house in the Dinas Powys area

Time will tell, but I am told nothing has been decided 100% yet and will depend on upcoming talks :ayatollah:

Mon May 01, 2017 12:21 am

Sven wrote:
KBK-13 wrote:I spoke to him, he said he hasn't been offered a contract but wants to stay

Neil Warnock has already alluded to that and also said he would be speaking to all parties involved in the next week regarding new contracts (or otherwise)

I maintain that there will be an offer made to Whitts and it will a case of whether that is acceptable to him both financially and with regard to reduced playing time for next season

I my opinion, He certainly has a part to play next season and is worth keeping at the right cost. He has been clear on his desire to stay in the area and (so I am told) has a new house in the Dinas Powys area

Time will tell, but I am told nothing has been decided 100% yet and will depend on upcoming talks :ayatollah:

I was under the impression he was offered a contract but hadn't agreed to it and talks had stalled?

Whatever the situation it was great to have a chat with him tonight, he seems to genuinely love being at the club.

Mon May 01, 2017 1:11 am

KBK-13 wrote:
Sven wrote:

I maintain that there will be an offer made to Whitts and it will a case of whether that is acceptable to him both financially and with regard to reduced playing time for next season

I was under the impression he was offered a contract but hadn't agreed to it and talks had stalled?

Whatever the situation it was great to have a chat with him tonight, he seems to genuinely love being at the club.

Yes, you are correct. Previous talks were had but (again, Neil Warnock alluded to this) things were indeed put on hold whilst he (Warnock) waited to hear what budget he might have for the summer recruitment drive :ayatollah:

Whitts could have gone before now but always wanted to stay. He loves the place, the club and its fans. His wife is local and his wish is to stay in the area, so that might just make negotiations a little easier for all concerned once they occur in earnest

Whitts is a pretty laid back character and he has done well out of his City contracts (particularly in the last 4 or 5 years) and I am sure money will not be the main motivating factor regarding him staying or going :thumbup:

Mon May 01, 2017 6:49 am

Come on everyone, he has been a great player in the past but over the last few seasons he has not contribute to general play. Against Newcastle and in other games it has been like playing with 10 men. Stop being so sentimental, he has to go and be replaced with an energetic midfielder. :old: :wave:

Mon May 01, 2017 6:53 am

What I remember Whitts was offered a lower contract and told he could take as long as he wanted to sign it.Then a month or two later Warnock took it off the table something to do with his budget next season.
Hope he's offered it again and accepts it.

Mon May 01, 2017 7:51 am

"It's been an honour to represent the club I love for so long. It’s been a great accolade, thank you." - Peter Whittingham

Mon May 01, 2017 8:14 am

jimmy_rat wrote:He can stay if he wants.

what is sensible though.
thousands of pounds a week doesnt sound sensible to start with.does it ?. but thats how much pro footballers earn.
sensible can only be gauged compared to what other players are on.
and no matter how much you love your job ,no matter what job,your not going to accept less wages than someone whose contribution is less than yours.

Mon May 01, 2017 8:50 am

dogfound wrote:

what is sensible though.
thousands of pounds a week doesnt sound sensible to start with.does it ?. but thats how much pro footballers earn.
and no matter how much you love your job ,no matter what job,your not going to accept less wages than someone whose contribution is less than yours.

He deserves more than Halford is on , he's average

Mon May 01, 2017 9:02 am

darran1927 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

what is sensible though.

Darren,

Halford I heard is on about £5,000 a week approx.

Where as Whitts was on approx up to £25,000 a week and for me Whitts is now worth no more than £10,000 a week, which I hear City have offered nearly that.

Mon May 01, 2017 9:04 am

darran1927 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

what is sensible though.

But this contradicts your argument. If he were paid on contribution he'd probably get less than he might be offered as he's only been picked a for a handful of games. Why not pay him on a Pay As You Play Basis? Nothing wrong with piece work, most self employed people have to survive this way.
Last edited by City Slicker on Mon May 01, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 01, 2017 9:05 am

Until the talks which NW has said are due to take place this week have been completed then there is still a chance that Whitts will be with us for next season, given his age any new contract will likely be the last of his playing career, so at many levels it's as big a decision for him as it is the club.

I believe that if he does leave then it WILL be to another Championship club, and one with aspirations of promotion, and there will be many potential suitors out there who will offer him more money than we have. Having said that I don't believe any other Championship club will be willing to pay him £25k per week.

This summer WILL see the high earners like Manga & Whitts either leave the club or stay on much reduced contracts and this will bring the focus onto the next highest earners. Noone, Pilkington and Huws will now come under the spotlight and I'm sure NW would like to offload those 3 to give him a chance of offering both Whitts and Manga more attractive contracts.

When first asked about the Whitts contract situation back in November NW said that he had told Whitts not to worry about it as NW wanted him here as long as he was. Make of that what you will but last week NW said that the Whitts contract situation was nothing to do with Whitts turning down any offers and that it had already been agreed that the situation would be discussed at the end of the season.

Many say that Whitts is not a NW type of player yet in the first 11 games this season Whitts didn't score a goal but in the 26 appearances under NW he has scored 7 goals. Others say that he doesn't contribute in "General" play - REALLY :? This season in respect of "Key Passes" PW is in a League of his own, despite having less playing time, his passing accuracy is over 77%, compare that to JR - 73% and AG - 67%, again in respect of possession loss with PW it's just 9 times, compare that to JR - 34 or AG - 22. Even in the more defensive aspects of the game like tackling PW wins 65% of the tackles he attempts, the same as JR and 5% higher than AG.

There is a saying in life that you never really know the true value of something or someone until you lose them, PW is the prefect example to prove the case in point and I hope that something can be sorted out that will keep him here for the rest of his career.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2017/05/0 ... ms-future/ :thumbright: :bluebird:

Mon May 01, 2017 9:10 am

City Slicker wrote:
darran1927 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

what is sensible though.

But this contradicts your argument. If he were paid on contribution he'd probably get less than he might be offered as he's only been picked a for a handful of games. Why not pay him on a Pay As You Play Basis? Nothing wrong with piece work, most self employed people have to survive this way.

When Halford is picked , it seems ike we are playing with 10 men I really don't rate him , not sure if he's fully fit maybe next season he'll improve . Whitts contributes more than Halford . Whitts deserves more than pay as you play

Mon May 01, 2017 9:10 am

castleblue wrote:Until the talks which NW has said are due to take place this week have been completed then there is still a chance that Whitts will be with us for next season, given his age any new contract will likely be the last of his playing career, so at many levels it's as big a decision for him as it is the club.

I believe that if he does leave then it WILL be to another Championship club, and one with aspirations of promotion, and there will be many potential suitors out there who will offer him more money than we have. Having said that I don't believe any other Championship club will be willing to pay him £25k per week.

This summer WILL see the high earners like Manga & Whitts either leave the club or stay on much reduced contracts and this will bring the focus onto the next highest earners. Noone, Pilkington and Huws will now come under the spotlight and I'm sure NW would like to offload those 3 to give him a chance of offering both Whitts and Manga more attractive contracts.

When first asked about the Whitts contract situation back in November NW said that he had told Whitts not to worry about it as NW wanted him here as long as he was. Make of that what you will but last week NW said that the Whitts contract situation was nothing to do with Whitts turning down any offers and that it had already been agreed that the situation would be discussed at the end of the season.

Many say that Whitts is not a NW type of player yet in the first 11 games this season Whitts didn't score a goal but in the 26 appearances under NW he has scored 7 goals. Others say that he doesn't contribute in "General" play - REALLY :? This season in respect of "Key Passes" PW is in a League of his own, despite having less playing time, his passing accuracy is over 77%, compare that to JR - 73% and AG - 67%, again in respect of possession loss with PW it's just 9 times, compare that to JR - 34 or AG - 22. Even in the more defensive aspects of the game like tackling PW wins 65% of the tackles he attempts, the same as JR and 5% higher than AG.

There is a saying in life that you never really know the true value of something or someone until you lose them, PW is the prefect example to prove the case in point and I hope that something can be sorted out that will keep him here for the rest of his career.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2017/05/0 ... ms-future/ :thumbright: :bluebird:

Cheers Gary

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2017/05/0 ... ms-future/ :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Mon May 01, 2017 9:35 am

City Slicker wrote:
darran1927 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

what is sensible though.

i wasnt making an arguement as such. just pointing out how i think most people would weigh up a contract offer.
my personal view is that NW doesnt see Whitts as someone that fits what he is trying to achieve here. i think team selection this last few months shows this {even after games where Whits has scored, made assists or been voted MOM he will then find himself out.
as for piece work its very rare for footballers to take a pay as you play offer as a substantial chunk of their contract because its been abused by clubs so often.

Mon May 01, 2017 9:44 am

King Brian Clark wrote:Come on everyone, he has been a great player in the past but over the last few seasons he has not contribute to general play. Against Newcastle and in other games it has been like playing with 10 men. Stop being so sentimental, he has to go and be replaced with an energetic midfielder. :old: :wave:

But he does contribute to general play, albeit he's not the player he was. His creativity is still way, way better than people like Ralls. His assists and goals are also way higher than other players including players like Hoilet who seems to do very little offensively in comparison.
Just read Castleblue's (as usual)excellent post.
Yes, he won't play every game but I think he still has a big part to play for us if he stays.

Mon May 01, 2017 10:01 am

He does what he he wants :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :clap:

Mon May 01, 2017 10:11 am

darran1927 wrote:When Halford is picked , it seems ike we are playing with 10 men I really don't rate him , not sure if he's fully fit maybe next season he'll improve . Whitts contributes more than Halford . Whitts deserves more than pay as you play

Spot on Halford is a terrible player and it is really hard to find anything positive to say about him.

Mon May 01, 2017 10:21 am

If he can't play every game then he should at least be on the bench.

Would rather him there as he can be a game changer if we are looking to have a strong bench then having him there can only be good.

Money would be no issue with him and if he stays he will be here a lot longer than NW.

Mon May 01, 2017 11:24 am

Whites has just bought and just moved into his house in Dinas Powys :bluebird:

Mon May 01, 2017 11:30 am

Blueboys1927 wrote:Whites has just bought and just moved into his house in Dinas Powys :bluebird:

sounds positive but i think we have a number of ex players/managers that still own property here.
and if he went to play for Bristol City or even worse a relegated swansealona he could comute.

Mon May 01, 2017 1:30 pm

We can all see how Warnock sets up his team and a non athletic passer is not high on his list.

But, for me it's what Whits stands for will be difficult to replace, a footballing brain. You can see Whitts being a top end coach, he see's things in the heat of the battle, makes passes most can't see, I recon tactically he will be right up there. I am not talking about a manager, but an important backroom guy.

I would like to see him given a contract that reflects a top end squad player, make him club and U23 captain and help Bellers with the transition from U18 > U23's > First Team.

I would hate to see him play for Bristol City, but it would make sense for both parties.

Mon May 01, 2017 2:54 pm

llan bluebird wrote:We can all see how Warnock sets up his team and a non athletic passer is not high on his list.

But, for me it's what Whits stands for will be difficult to replace, a footballing brain. You can see Whitts being a top end coach, he see's things in the heat of the battle, makes passes most can't see, I recon tactically he will be right up there. I am not talking about a manager, but an important backroom guy.

I would like to see him given a contract that reflects a top end squad player, make him club and U23 captain and help Bellers with the transition from U18 > U23's > First Team.

I would hate to see him play for Bristol City, but it would make sense for both parties.

Couldn't agree more,one more season I think and then blood him in somewhere into the club coaching at some level.Show a bit of loyalty back.

Mon May 01, 2017 3:24 pm

llan bluebird wrote:We can all see how Warnock sets up his team and a non athletic passer is not high on his list.

Good post and accurate. Refreshing as opposed to the few Whitts haters who bang on.
I don't think there would be a shortage of takers from championship clubs as managers, players and pundits all appreciate him.
Personally, I would hate it if he came back to play at our ground for another club.
Even read that Gunnarsson was praising his commitment and work rate.