Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Newcastle Fans

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Bit disappointed to see some having a go that we are only taking around 4,600 on a Friday night live SKY Tv game 660 miles!
If it had been Saturday there would be 6,000, probably 8,000 if we needed the points for promotion even more if it was the last game and the trophy. Newcastle fans travel the furthest in the country. Even when we were in the old Second we would take 10k to all Yorkshire clubs (even Leeds only brought 500 to 1500 to us), have the top two away fans at Liverpool, Man U and Spurs for numbers. Consider Leeds and Liverpool and Manchester are on each other's doorsteps and it is 2 hours before we even get to Leeds our nearest rival. Man City fan boasted to me that they took 7k to Wigan, 30 miles away when we had 6k midweek game. Villa are taking 8k to Blackburn but again 30 miles, like us v 'Boro, a derby!!!

Look at this 6k on a freezing Tuesday night League cup 4th round at Blackburn, attendance 10,600 a 3 hr journey to get there, even Blackburn fans say it is the best they have seen for a long time. No other club could do that for a nothing game where the home team even only sell 5k!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eLH_i1LqmM

The trouble is our away support has always been taken for granted. Villa had 800 at Sunderland in the Premiership the same night we had 4,500 at Coventry last time we were in the Championship.

Fair play to Cardiff as very passionate fans and good away support (some of the loudest at St James park), but you'll see tonight that NUFC are up there with the best.

It would be good to see Cardiff in the Premiership as one of the last grounds with some atmosphere!!!

Re: Newcastle Fans

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:04 pm

ToonUp! wrote:Bit disappointed to see some having a go that we are only taking around 4,600 on a Friday night live SKY Tv game 660 miles!
If it had been Saturday there would be 6,000, probably 8,000 if we needed the points for promotion even more if it was the last game and the trophy. Newcastle fans travel the furthest in the country. Even when we were in the old Second we would take 10k to all Yorkshire clubs (even Leeds only brought 500 to 1500 to us), have the top two away fans at Liverpool, Man U and Spurs for numbers. Consider Leeds and Liverpool and Manchester are on each other's doorsteps and it is 2 hours before we even get to Leeds our nearest rival. Man City fan boasted to me that they took 7k to Wigan, 30 miles away when we had 6k midweek game. Villa are taking 8k to Blackburn but again 30 miles, like us v 'Boro, a derby!!!

Look at this 6k on a freezing Tuesday night League cup 4th round at Blackburn, attendance 10,600 a 3 hr journey to get there, even Blackburn fans say it is the best they have seen for a long time. No other club could do that for a nothing game where the home team even only sell 5k!!!!

The trouble is our away support has always been taken for granted. Villa had 800 at Sunderland in the Premiership the same night we had 4,500 at Coventry last time we were in the Championship.

Fair play to Cardiff as very passionate fans and good away support (some of the loudest at St James park), but you'll see tonight that NUFC are up there with the best.

It would be good to see Cardiff in the Premiership as one of the last grounds with some atmosphere!!!

I wouldn't listen to any of it mate, your following down here tonight is spot on :thumbup:

We get slagged off all the time, people bring up that we have the 3rd lowest average away following in the Championship but completely ignore the fact that we have to travel further than most, don't have the games on the doorstep like the midlands and northern clubs have and that we take more to most clubs than they bring to us. Someone said Villa are taking 8,000 to Blackburn tomorrow for a nothing game, impressive yes but its 200 mile round trip, I would put your 5,000 down here for a 630 mile round trip on a Friday night live on sky above that, in fact it pisses all over it for me.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:15 pm

ToonUp! wrote:Bit disappointed to see some having a go that we are only taking around 4,600 on a Friday night live SKY Tv game 660 miles!

If it wasn't on live Tv or you needed the points to go up, you would no doubt add a few 1000 more.... :thumbup:

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:29 pm

goats wrote:

If it wasn't on live Tv or you needed the points to go up, you would no doubt add a few 1000 more.... :thumbup:

I second that :thumbup:

But Sunderland and Sheff Wed still hold the records in Cardiff 10,000 each :lol:

4,350 Newcastle Fans.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:28 pm

Mate were in NO position to fault other away fans even if we were top of the league we wouldn't take that to you

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:29 pm

nubbsy wrote:Mate were in NO position to fault other away fans even if we were top of the league we wouldn't take that to you

And we were Jack and as you said we actually took No where near that.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:30 am

4,350 Newcastle fans

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:50 am

Tho' I do remember Newcastle bringing about 3-400 circa 79 at Ninian, and crowds of about 15,000 early 80's, only noticeable because Newcastle were traditionally so well supported.

In a way, it deflects from the long term lack of success. I always remember the Geordies at Liverpool singing "we've got more fans than you"; 4-0 down.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:11 pm

I for one will not have a dig about Newcastle not selling 5k tickets. They have a support we could only dream of.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:38 pm

Good support last night and made lots of noise :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:49 pm

murphy wrote:I for one will not have a dig about Newcastle not selling 5k tickets. They have a support we could only dream of.

To be fair spot on :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:32 pm

Also a history we could only dream of.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:58 pm

Anyone who was there last night would know what fantastic support Newcastle United had. The very tongue-in-cheek chant of 'is that all you take away', from the Canton, said it all!

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:12 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:Anyone who was there last night would know what fantastic support Newcastle United had. The very tongue-in-cheek chant of 'is that all you take away', from the Canton, said it all!

I weren't there last night but watched most of it on TV and listened to the rest on radio while driving to work. Geordies sounded very good second half and I liked that down and up song they were singing.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:06 pm

murphy wrote:
llangainbluebird wrote:Anyone who was there last night would know what fantastic support Newcastle United had. The very tongue-in-cheek chant of 'is that all you take away', from the Canton, said it all!

I weren't there last night but watched most of it on TV and listened to the rest on radio while driving to work. Geordies sounded very good second half and I liked that down and up song they were singing.

Very catchy tune. In fact, I can't get it out of my head! They are obviously enjoying Sunderland's relegation.

Mon May 01, 2017 11:41 am

Great support from the Toon army, but was nothing compared to the Sunderland support in 1980. Never seen anything like it, had to delay kick off to let them in. I missed the Wednesday game in 84, so can't comment on that.