Re: Who was the best giggs or bale

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:26 pm

Bale for me ,and still will do it for a number more years to come

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:39 pm

Told you this morning its Bale by a mile :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:25 pm

As far as Wales are concerned there is no comparison. One player busts a gut every time he puts on a Welsh shirt, and the other was quality when he could be bothered turning up to put on a Welsh shirt. Both are quality, but Bale comes across as the player who is proud to be Welsh.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:43 pm

"Was" is a bad question, as Bale is still at the peak of his powers...

However, at this current time it has to be Giggs on top, as he has completed his career and his club medals and longevity speak for themselves! ;)

Not a Giggs fan at all, although you cannot but admire his achievements as a footballer (part-time and selective Wales appearances apart) and I sincerely hope the real Cardiff boy with a true commitment to his country carries on to become the undisputed No.1 in time

A couple more Champions League Winners medals (starting in his home town on 3rd June) would be another step in the right direction! :thumbright: :ayatollah: :notworthy:

Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:51 pm

Must be a wales thing. If was national vote it would be Giggs.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Bale is a level above Giggs.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:21 pm

Was ? Bale still playing. :banghead: :lol: But in terms of for Wales Bale all day long. Giggs well yeah hell of a player but he never showed any commitment to Wales.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Was ? Bale still playing. :banghead: :lol: But in terms of for Wales Bale all day long. Giggs well yeah hell of a player but he never showed any commitment to Wales.

Spot on, Steve :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:38 pm

Same old bollocks spouted about Giggs I see, the bloke had 64 caps, you dont play for your country 64 times if you can't be bothered, yes he barely played the friendlys for which there was a very good reason, Bale would be no different if it means prolonging his career, Giggs rarely missed a qualifier and was one of the small shining lights of watching Wales through the gloom from 93 to the early part of the millenium. Those that slag him off I can only presume never followed Wales during this period and just jump on the lets bash Giggs bandwagon

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:53 pm

RV Casual wrote:Same old bollocks spouted about Giggs I see, the bloke had 64 caps, you dont play for your country 64 times if you can't be bothered, yes he barely played the friendlys for which there was a very good reason, Bale would be no different if it means prolonging his career, Giggs rarely missed a qualifier and was one of the small shining lights of watching Wales through the gloom from 93 to the early part of the millenium. Those that slag him off I can only presume never followed Wales during this period and just jump on the lets bash Giggs bandwagon

Giggs' career spanned 23 years. 64 caps is pitiful as captain of the side.

Bale has 66 caps and his career is barely into its 10th year.

Having said that, you would be hard pushed to find a better winger than Giggs and I am not sure Bale has proved he is better as of yet. Bale is phenomenal, but Madrid fans generally do prefer Isco to Bale. Giggs could play for any side at the peak of his career and I dont think you would ever have fans that would prefer another player in his place.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:21 pm

SnackaJack wrote:Giggs could play for any side at the peak of his career and I dont think you would ever have fans that would prefer another player in his place.

I get what your saying but at the same time you could argue that by never testing himself in a different league meant he never set himself up to fail.

A lot of the top British players have struggled in La Liga after tearing up the Prem - like Owen for example who took a few seasons to establish himself and never hit the heights that he did at Liverpool.

Giggs never put himself out of his Man Utd comfort zone so we'll never know if he would have been as successful elsewhere wheras Bale hit the ground running almost instantly at Madrid - with the weight of being the worlds most expensive footballer, at the world's most famous club on his shoulders at the tender age of 24 - a lot of more experienced players have cracked under similar pressure (**cough Torres cough**)

Just playing devils advocate like...

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:23 pm

SnackaJack wrote:
RV Casual wrote:Same old bollocks spouted about Giggs I see, the bloke had 64 caps, you dont play for your country 64 times if you can't be bothered, yes he barely played the friendlys for which there was a very good reason, Bale would be no different if it means prolonging his career, Giggs rarely missed a qualifier and was one of the small shining lights of watching Wales through the gloom from 93 to the early part of the millenium. Those that slag him off I can only presume never followed Wales during this period and just jump on the lets bash Giggs bandwagon

Having said that, you would be hard pushed to find a better winger than Giggs and I am not sure Bale has proved he is better as of yet. Bale is phenomenal, but Madrid fans generally do prefer Isco to Bale. Giggs could play for any side at the peak of his career and I dont think you would ever have fans that would prefer another player in his place.

And Gunter who is what 27/28 and look how many caps he got. Ashley Williams has shown more passion for Wales in his little finger than Giggs ever had

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:43 am

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
SnackaJack wrote:Giggs could play for any side at the peak of his career and I dont think you would ever have fans that would prefer another player in his place.

I get what your saying but at the same time you could argue that by never testing himself in a different league meant he never set himself up to fail.

A lot of the top British players have struggled in La Liga after tearing up the Prem - like Owen for example who took a few seasons to establish himself and never hit the heights that he did at Liverpool.

Giggs never put himself out of his Man Utd comfort zone so we'll never know if he would have been as successful elsewhere wheras Bale hit the ground running almost instantly at Madrid - with the weight of being the worlds most expensive footballer, at the world's most famous club on his shoulders at the tender age of 24 - a lot of more experienced players have cracked under similar pressure (**cough Torres cough**)

Just playing devils advocate like...

Neither has Messi though. The likes of Ronaldo, Suarez and Bale score for fun in La Liga. While they scored a load in the Premier League too, its never on the scale that they do in La Liga, its almost ridiculous over there - they score more goals than games played! If Messi came over here he wouldnt be scoring 50-60 goals a season thats for sure. The Premier League is a harder league to play in of that I have little doubt, so to remain one of the best players in that league for as long as he did is truly remarkable.

You make some fair points, but Giggs has achieved so much and been so consistant for so long I think it would be a very big ask to put Bale above him when he has in esscence achieved so little in comparison. He may end up being better than Giggs, but he will have to dominate the league he is in for another 6-7 years and absolutely light it up to be considered up along side him in my opinion. Unfortunately for Bale he is in the peak of his career and he is already probably 3rd/4th best forward in the team he plays for according to the majority of their fans who would put Ronaldo, Rodriguez and Isco ahead of him.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:02 am

SnackaJack wrote:

Giggs International career was over 16 years from 91 to 2007, 64 games in 16 years, 4 games a year on average, as I said, you don't play for your country 4 times a year if you don't care or cant be bothered, and this is during a period when International matches were not as frequent as they are now.

You can't compare Giggs to Bale, or Ramsey, or anyone playing for Wales now either, its not a like for like comparison, these guys are playing in what is a relatively successful period, for example, they have had 8 caps added to their total from the Euros and friendly games before it alone, it is easy for them to turn up now, Giggs was playing mainly in years of abject misery.

You look at the players that played in Giggs era aswell and before and have a look at their cap count.

Mark Pembridge 54 caps, John Hartson 51 caps, Andy Melville 65 caps, Simon Davies 58 caps, Kevin Ratcliffe 59 caps, Barry Horne 59 caps, Robbie Savage 39 caps, Mark Bowen 41 caps.

Even Mark Hughes only got 72 caps and Rush 73 caps.

Giggs count holds its own and I know for a fact that most of the die hard's that followed Wales at home and even more so on the road during those pitiful years over the mid to late 90's onward's appreciated the fact that Giggs turned up and carried that side on many occasions. As I said, he was one of the highlights of following Wales and without him the period would have been even worse. It tends to be those with an anti Man Utd sentiment or those that have never realy followed the Welsh side on a regular basis that slag him off, as I said, most that were there during this period appreciate what he brought to the Welsh set up even if he did miss most of the friendlys.

:thumbup:

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:36 am

We will have to agree to disagree then as I think 64 caps over 16 years is shockingly low.

After his international debut in 1991 against Germany, Giggs did not attend a friendly international until some nine years later (yes NINE), after which he missed a further 18 consecutive friendly games. :D

He was the captain and showed awful commitment to the cause.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:08 am

RV Casual wrote:
SnackaJack wrote:

Giggs International career was over 16 years from 91 to 2007, 64 games in 16 years, 4 games a year on average, as I said, you don't play for your country 4 times a year if you don't care or cant be bothered, and this is during a period when International matches were not as frequent as they are now.

You can't compare Giggs to Bale, or Ramsey, or anyone playing for Wales now either, its not a like for like comparison, these guys are playing in what is a relatively successful period, for example, they have had 8 caps added to their total from the Euros and friendly games before it alone, it is easy for them to turn up now, Giggs was playing mainly in years of abject misery.

You look at the players that played in Giggs era aswell and before and have a look at their cap count.

Mark Pembridge 54 caps, John Hartson 51 caps, Andy Melville 65 caps, Simon Davies 58 caps, Kevin Ratcliffe 59 caps, Barry Horne 59 caps, Robbie Savage 39 caps, Mark Bowen 41 caps.

Even Mark Hughes only got 72 caps and Rush 73 caps.

Giggs count holds its own and I know for a fact that most of the die hard's that followed Wales at home and even more so on the road during those pitiful years over the mid to late 90's onward's appreciated the fact that Giggs turned up and carried that side on many occasions. As I said, he was one of the highlights of following Wales and without him the period would have been even worse. It tends to be those with an anti Man Utd sentiment or those that have never realy followed the Welsh side on a regular basis that slag him off, as I said, most that were there during this period appreciate what he brought to the Welsh set up even if he did miss most of the friendlys.

:thumbup:

Good post mate interesting to see those stats.

I do know one thing Giggs is the second most decorated footballer of all time so Bales got a long way to go to catch him in that respect.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:14 am

blue lagoon wrote:GIGGS FOR ME

Are you pissed? Bale is on a whole new level.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:31 am

I actuall think it's insulting to Bale to even compare Giggs to him in terms of footballing ability.

Yes Giggs was a fantastic player and had truly remarkable career but Bale is without doubt one of the 5 best players in the world ATM at no point during Giggs career was he even close to being in that Bracket.

If we are going purely by footballing attributes then the only thing you could argue that Giggs was better at than Bale is passing and even that's debatable.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:36 am

Bale - more versatile and a game changer is so many ways

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:37 am

"One of the best five players in the world " ARE YOU HAVING A LAUGH !!!!!! Bale has struggled at RM like most of our exports.He is not even in the top 20 .He has pace, strength and a great engine as for technical/natural ability he cannot compare to some of the other RM players. I feel there is a bubble mentality occurring here.A good player yes and let us not forget the Premier League is not the best in the world.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:40 am

Jimmy Scoular wrote:"One of the best five players in the world " ARE YOU HAVING A LAUGH !!!!!! Bale has struggled at RM like most of our exports.He is not even in the top 20 .He has pace, strength and a great engine as for technical/natural ability he cannot compare to some of the other RM players. I feel there is a bubble mentality occurring here.A good player yes and let us not forget the Premier League is not the best in the world.

Yes he struggled so much that he playe a key part in them winning the champions league twice and almost single handedly won the copa del rey final for them. Other than Ronaldo what other RM players are better than him?

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:31 am

I wonder how successful Giggs would have been if he left United, He was lucky to have a great manager, and great players around him. On the international stage he had a few good games and goals, but for me Bale has a much better goal ratio for a winger, at club and country level. Even though it's a team effort a lot of getting to the Euros was down to Bale, he's also scored in the champions league final and also to the risk of playing abroad so for those reasons Bale all the way.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:20 pm

At the moment Giggs however Bale can quite easily over take him. I do think Bale has stagnated a bit over the last year or so, not saying he isn't top quality but he hasn't pushed on enough to be challenging the top couple of players in the world at the moment.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:34 pm

Oh how quickly people forget.

Football fans are correctly labelled one of the most fickle groups in society and this is proof.

Giggs didn't just happen to be in a good side, he was one of the most potent attacking threats in one of the greatest British sides in history for an incredibly prolonged period of time. Bale had had a good 5 years and now is finding himself batting for his place against Isco (who has outperformed him both playing a similar amount of games). Bale is a cracking player but how anyone can make a case he is better than Ryan Giggs at this stage is simply staggering.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:39 pm

SnackaJack wrote:Oh how quickly people forget.
:bluescarf:
Football fans are correctly labelled one of the most fickle groups in society and this is proof.

Giggs didn't just happen to be in a good side, he was one of the most potent attacking threats in one of the greatest British sides in history for an incredibly prolonged period of time. Bale had had a good 5 years and now is finding himself batting for his place against Isco (who has outperformed him both playing a similar amount of games). Bale is a cracking player but how anyone can make a case he is better than Ryan Giggs at this stage is simply staggering.

Know what you mean,its like all those dipshits who think swansea town are a bigger club tha the mighty CARDIFF CITY

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:12 pm

On the contrary, they would be correct Sneggasaurus. Giggs is far more of a decorated player in the modern professional era.

Similarly, swanseas global reach, financial power and success in the modern professional era dwarfs (no pun intended) anything that Cardiff have even attempted let alone achieved. Not even close. But I am one of the realistic ones who believe that it is possible for Cardiff to overtake at some point as anythng is possible in football, but matching and bettering what Swansea have done is probably something that we wont see in our lifetime (6 back to back seasons in the PL, average position of 10th, major cup win and latter stages of European competition). But it will be fun watching :occasion5:

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:54 pm

Giggs was a great, but I don't think he was ever able to carry a team in the way Bale has/does.

At this point in his career, you put Bale in any of the top 5 PL teams, and that team wins the league. He's that good.

Look at Wales, we've been toothless since teams started marking him out of games.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:20 pm

KWest wrote:Giggs was a great, but I don't think he was ever able to carry a team in the way Bale has/does.

At this point in his career, you put Bale in any of the top 5 PL teams, and that team wins the league. He's that good.

Look at Wales, we've been toothless since teams started marking him out of games.

So you reckon if Arsenal sign Bale then they win the league? :D