Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

JOE LEDLEY

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Haven't been keeping an eye on Palace much so, has Joe Ledley been a regular under Sam Allardyce?

If it was possible, would you have Ledley back at Cardiff City next season?

Ledley turned 30 years old in January so his career will be coming to an end in the next few years. Not much time left.

We are also short of central midfielders with only Whittingham, Ralls and Gunnarsson. Whitts might not be here next season too.

Personally, I'd love to see him back at CCFC and I think he would flourish under Warnock and could be one of the best midfielders in the Championship.

:bluescarf: :ayatollah:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: JOE LEDLEY

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:04 pm

Wasn't even on the bench tonight

Not sure if he's injured or just not in favour ?

His wages will be to high for us unfortunately

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:10 pm

CardiffCityBlue wrote:Wasn't even on the bench tonight

At his age, and if he's not playing regular football then he should be aware that he may have to take a pay cut? To come back to his hometown club and would be a crucial 1st team player for us.

I could see the benefits for him and us fans! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:52 pm

Him and gunnarson in centre midfield could be one of the best midfield pairings in the championship imo, crative number 10 in front of them aswell and we will be looming good in midfield

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:59 pm

BlueMagic wrote:Him and gunnarson in centre midfield could be one of the best midfield pairings in the championship imo, crative number 10 in front of them aswell and we will be looming good in midfield

That sounds superb! :clap: :ayatollah:

Could you see Cardiff being able to get him? :bluescarf:

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:36 pm

I'm sorry but I want us to sign players who want to be here and Ledley clearly showed in the past he didn't want to be here. I wouldn't want him to come back just to wind down his career. We spent a small fortune paying for his hip operation, then he rewards us by running down his contract to join Celtic on a free.

I would have understood him leaving us for the Premiership, but his move to Celtic to play in an inferior league against inferior players was purely for financial greed and stalled his career. He could have continued improving to become a Premiership regular in the future if he held out for the right move, but he was so desperate to get away from us at the first opportunity to line his pockets.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:42 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I'm sorry but I want us to sign players who want to be here and Ledley clearly showed in the past he didn't want to be here. I wouldn't want him to come back just to wind down his career. We spent a small fortune paying for his hip operation, then he rewards us by running down his contract to join Celtic on a free.

I would have understood him leaving us for the Premiership, but his move to Celtic to play in an inferior league against inferior players was purely for financial greed and stalled his career. He could have continued improving to become a Premiership regular in the future if he held out for the right move, but he was so desperate to get away from us at the first opportunity to line his pockets.

agree.. not sure he could hold down a first team spot anyway .

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:46 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I'm sorry but I want us to sign players who want to be here and Ledley clearly showed in the past he didn't want to be here. I wouldn't want him to come back just to wind down his career. We spent a small fortune paying for his hip operation, then he rewards us by running down his contract to join Celtic on a free.

I can understand that, mate. A lot of CCFC fans will never forget or forgive how he left our club. He's said in an interview on Copa90 that he didn't want to leave but the lure of Champions League football with Celtic made his decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieZK3SX8C-4

229 appearances for us and a lot of great memories from my times watching Joe as a Cardiff City player. He's always shown respect to us since leaving (e.g. not celebrating scoring against us for Palace, ayatollah for Palace vs Swansea).

As a club, if we did sign Ledley, it would only be a positive signing in my eyes. :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:49 pm

dogfound wrote:

agree.. not sure he could hold down a first team spot anyway .

He has to compete with Whitts, Ralls and Gunnarsson. Suspensions and/or injuries would mean he would get a chance to prove his worth, regardless. I'd love to see Ledley and Gunnarsson in our Cardiff City 17/18 midfield.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:48 pm

Ross, I'm 100% with you on this one! :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Joe certainly chased the golden coin with scant regard for the club he claimed to have supported all his life and/or the supporters who sang his name because they believed he was "one of our own"

Others will blame 'The Riddler' for Joe's departure but the simple fact was (not surprisingly) that his agent was doing his thinking for him and there was only ever one outcome, which is why he decided to run down his contract and sell his wares to the highest (not necessarily the most appropriate) bidder in the one-team League!

It's a big NOooooo! from me! :(

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:50 pm

Sven wrote:

Joe certainly chased the golden coin with scant regard for the club he claimed to have supported all his life and/or the supporters who sang his name because they believed he was "one of our own"

Others will blame 'The Riddler' for Joe's departure but the simple fact was (not surprisingly) that his agent was doing his thinking for him and there was only ever one outcome, which is why he decided to run down his contract and sell his wares to the highest (not necessarily the most appropriate) bidder in the one-team League!

That's fair enough, Sven!

But as a footballer, would you agree that he would be a star man in our Cardiff City 17/18 team?

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:18 am

lathamgaffney wrote:
Sven wrote:

But as a footballer, would you agree that he would be a star man in our Cardiff City 17/18 team?

To be perfectly honest, on the footballing front I'm not too sure he is a Neil Warnock type of player. However, I'm sure Joe would excel in The Championship with some team that plays to his strengths and the first team that springs to mind is (and I hate to say it) Garry Monk's Dirty Leeds United :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:37 am

Sven wrote:

Sven, you make a valid point....however, let's not forget the year before he moved to Celtic the club blocked 2 possible transfers to Premier League teams for Joe which would have given him the chance to play at a higher level and obviously a huge pay rise. It's no wonder he left under a bit of a cloud 12 months later

Another brilliant piece of business by the clown Ridsdale!!!

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:53 am

Scored one of the most famous goals in the History of the club at Wembley. Also always played his heart out for the shirt. Just because he left without Cardiff getting any money people are pissed off with him. That is down to the club not getting him on a longer deal and getting a transfer fee for him. Celtic are a big club in European football and have a following about 3 times the size of Cardiff. I would welcome him back if the price was right. I think the championship is about his level at the moment and I think he is a Warnock type of player.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:55 am

I would welcome him back ,he is a better player now than when he left

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:26 am

lathamgaffney wrote:Haven't been keeping an eye on Palace much so, has Joe Ledley been a regular under Sam Allardyce?

Ledley turned 30 years old in January so his career will be coming to an end in the next few years. Not much time left.

We are also short of central midfielders with only Whittingham, Ralls and Gunnarsson. Whitts might not be here next season too.

Personally, I'd love to see him back at CCFC and I think he would flourish under Warnock and could be one of the best midfielders in the Championship.

He'd probably half to half his wages to come here, highly unlikely. 30 isn't ancient by any means he'll probably still feel he can be in the prem but then spend the next two years bench warming before he decides he'll have to drop down a division.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:33 am

we cost cut not buy more wages!

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:57 am

BlueMagic wrote:Him and gunnarson in centre midfield could be one of the best midfield pairings in the championship imo, crative number 10 in front of them aswell and we will be looming good in midfield

Gunnar, Ledley Taraabt ?

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:04 am

Sven wrote:

It's his job. He's made a good career, he's a very good player and well liked in the changing room. I'd have him back in a heartbeat. He could have left before but didn't push for a move but then his contract wound down and the club pushed people like him and Gunter out of the door.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:27 am

Ledleys main asset was his engine, he could run all day and go beyond the striker. He can't do that anymore.

At his age and now playing as a stopper/presser in a 4231 would any of you have him ahead of Gunnar in that role ?

Was the 23 year old any better than Ralls is now ? If Ralls was born in Cardiff he would be in the Welsh set up

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:03 pm

A no for me, especially on the wage we would have to pay him.

I have no problem with him chasing the money though, most people do in their jobs.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:01 pm

lathamgaffney wrote:
Sven wrote:

really not sure about this star man thing. hasnt played much for Palace over the last 2 seasons and not even on the bench atm.{is he injured ? }

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:09 pm

Philippine blue wrote:Scored one of the most famous goals in the History of the club at Wembley. Also always played his heart out for the shirt. Just because he left without Cardiff getting any money people are pissed off with him. That is down to the club not getting him on a longer deal and getting a transfer fee for him. Celtic are a big club in European football and have a following about 3 times the size of Cardiff. I would welcome him back if the price was right. I think the championship is about his level at the moment and I think he is a Warnock type of player.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Would love him back in a Cardiff City shirt. :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:12 pm

nubbsy wrote:
lathamgaffney wrote:Haven't been keeping an eye on Palace much so, has Joe Ledley been a regular under Sam Allardyce?

He'd probably half to half his wages to come here, highly unlikely. 30 isn't ancient by any means he'll probably still feel he can be in the prem but then spend the next two years bench warming before he decides he'll have to drop down a division.

Palace have been dreadful all season up until Allardyce's appointment. Been battling relegation also and I can't see many Premier League clubs wanting him?

Therefore, he can stay at Palace and not play regularly or drop down a division and play week in week out. 30 isn't ancient yes but he's not getting any younger.

If we can afford him, I'd take him in a heartbeat!

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:14 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:

Gunnar, Ledley Taraabt ?

If Warnock could get Taraabt fit and back to his best then that would be one of the best midfields in the league! :ayatollah:

Shame that Taarabt has plummeted. What a player he once was! :clap:

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:18 pm

petesmeat wrote:
Sven wrote:

It's his job. He's made a good career, he's a very good player and well liked in the changing room. I'd have him back in a heartbeat. He could have left before but didn't push for a move but then his contract wound down and the club pushed people like him and Gunter out of the door.

Agreed. Plenty of reasons why a move back to Cardiff City would be an excellent move for all parties.

I just hope we could actually afford him! :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:20 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Ledleys main asset was his engine, he could run all day and go beyond the striker. He can't do that anymore.

At his age and now playing as a stopper/presser in a 4231 would any of you have him ahead of Gunnar in that role ?

Was the 23 year old any better than Ralls is now ? If Ralls was born in Cardiff he would be in the Welsh set up

I'd have him and Gunnar in that role!

And yes, I'd say Ledley at 23 was better than Ralls now. :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:18 pm

CardiffCityBlue wrote:Wasn't even on the bench tonight

only been on the bench once in the last ten games.unused sub v Chelsea.
our manager will know more on circumstances there than we do { unlike Slade },so we will have to trust him

Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:59 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
Sven wrote:

Sven, you make a valid point....however, let's not forget the year before he moved to Celtic the club blocked 2 possible transfers to Premier League teams for Joe which would have given him the chance to play at a higher level and obviously a huge pay rise. It's no wonder he left under a bit of a cloud 12 months later

Another brilliant piece of business by the clown Ridsdale!!!

That's fair enough, but Ridsdale (and I'm no fan) was looking after the club's interests at a time when City were (shall we say) on the verge of achieving stuff, despite their financial woes, just as Joe (or mainly his Agent) was looking after his :thumbright:

Where I have an issue with Joe is the way he went about things. No issue with his desire to play in the Premier League (although he couldn't guarantee it at the time, something he would would have achieved with his 'home' club) but he eventually went mercenary and took the Scottish coin at time we could have done with some Welsh coin coming in, if he was to move on at some point ;)

Premier League was 'just about' acceptable even though it would still of left a sour taste, but going to the one-team League of Glasgow was pretty much a slap in the face to the club he claimed to 'support'

Just my personal opinion but it appears to be shared by many who know appear to know that his move ws not solely down to footballing reasons and ambitions :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:19 pm

Sven wrote:

Two sides to every story