Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' CARDIFF'S STYLE OF FOOTBALL '

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:09 am

' CARDIFF'S STYLE OF FOOTBALL '

By Nathan Blake

Saturday 26th March 2017

I said in my column a few weeks ago that you're never going to see Cardiff playing like our neighbours down the road, with 20 passes per goal.

And Neil Warnock's teams are not normally known as 'keep ball' teams. What they're known for is that direct, high-tempo football — not long balls, but long passes.

What I said back then was gradually we'd start to see an entertaining style of football. I'd liken Cardiff to Burnley when they're at home. They don't pass the ball around but they're cracking to watch and play an exciting brand of football. But first and foremost Cardiff had to get a team together that the manager was happy with. Then it was about ironing out and improving things — which takes a couple of months.

Once the results came— which they did — it can go one of two ways; players can have one eye on the beach and think 'job done', or they can start thinking about next season.

Under a weaker manager they'd be on the beach. Under this manager, they know they're playing for their places.

The players know the manager wants to go for it next season and with that mentality, the football has improved. Some of the goals have been great.

Take it from me, success is all in the mind.

If your manager comes in worried about relegation you tend to go backwards. If your manager is talking you up, it breeds confidence, which is self-fulfilling.

I wasn't worried about the late goals that came Birmingham City and Blackburn Rovers and neither was Warnock.

He just said 'don't panic' and results and performances have continued from there. It was a great result against Ipswich and it showed how far Cardiff have come in Warnock's reign. They're only going to get better from here.

They'll still have 'off' days, that's the nature of football. They're not going to get eight or nine out of 10 every week, but next season they'll gradually get that consistency which is needed for a promotion push.

People say the rest of the season means nothing, but for me it means everything.

You learn from every match, every season.

Although Cardiff have got players who have gained promotion in the past, they've got a lot that haven't. I think there are characters within that squad, who've had success in the past, who will be willing to stand up and say, 'yeah, let's do it!'.

And, let's be fair, Cardiff aren't playing like a team on the beach, they're playing like a team preparing for an 11-month battle to gain promotion.

To help that cause, the manager is going to bring in players, he's made no secret of that.

So Jazz Richards if you're at right back, you need to play out of your skin. Same goes for Joe Bennett at left back, Sol Bamba, Kenneth Zohore — these are all players who must maintain that consistency and performance level, which they're doing right now.

There's no magic formula for promotion. It's straight talking and brutal honesty from the manager which helps players improve and reach a higher level.

The demands of success mean you have to be at least a seven out of 10 every single week.

The hardest thing, for Warnock, will be dragging players up to that level mentally. And the marginal gains like eating, drinking, training — they'll all start to come into the equation.

Clearly what this manager is doing is giving his team confidence to believe they can do special things and I think that will continue into next season. Especially when Neil brings in three or four of his own players; maybe five or six, who knows?

They can only add depth to this squad: impact players off the bench, maybe a little extra pace. Attention to detail wins promotion, but you have to be playing in the right style.

It's brilliant to see Cardiff doing just that at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' CARDIFF'S STYLE OF FOOTBALL '

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:02 am

You can definatly see a journey being developed. One step at a time in the right direction and who knows.

As a fan I am loving this season even though there is nothing left to play for. C'mon fellow city supports show the players we are up for it for our remaining matches.

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:54 am

Its just enjoyable watching city again, nothing to play for but I'm really looking forward to Wolves and Barnsley away.Sometimes it was hard graft following the team under previous managers

Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:15 pm

englishbluebird wrote:Sometimes it was hard graft following the team under previous managers

That's putting it mildly ;)

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:21 am

Has there been an improvement under Warnock? (my question)

Are you kidding? (hopefully everyone's reply)

100% better and a whole lot more entertaining.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:46 am

I enjoy this direct style. Get the ball forward quickly and have a go!

Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:54 am

Enjoyed the last few games immensely