Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Craig Bellamy Calling on Cardiff fans to turn up

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:12 pm

Craig Bellamy Calling on Cardiff fans to turn up

By Terry Phillips

Friday 24th March 2017

Craig Bellamy believes Kevin McNaughton deserves the type of send off he had from Cardiff City fans - and will get it on Sunday and hopes Cardiff fans turn up in their thousands.

The two men are back together this weekend for McNaughton’s benefit match at Cardiff City Stadium when they manage opposing teams.

Bellamy and McNaughton played together for over three seasons and helped the Bluebirds earn promotion to the Premier League.

It was a dream achievement. ‘Bellers’ loved helping his home city club earn the success fans craved, while McNaughton had talked of going up to the Premier League from the first day he signed for Cardiff in 2006.

Bellamy and McNaughton made their last appearances for the Bluebirds in the top flight, against Chelsea and Southampton respectively.

But whereas Bellamy bowed out of football at home with the whole ground applauding him, McNaughton himself admits he never had a proper opportunity to say goodbye to the Cardiff fans who also adore him.

McNaughton moved to Bolton, then Inverness and Bellamy said: "Kevin didn’t have the chance to say goodbye and he deserves this benefit match on Sunday. He dedicated a lot of his career to Cardiff City.

“I knew that match against Chelsea was my last and when I was substituted and walked off Jose Mourinho came over, gave me a hug and said ‘You are a champion’.

“It felt right to end it there. That was me done. If I had gone out onto the pitch again it might have spoiled the moment for me.

“Naughts didn’t have the same opportunity and I hope the fans turn out in force to pay their respects for a good human being, a humble man who gave everything he had for Cardiff City."

Cardiff's Craig Bellamy is embraced by Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho as he leaves the pitch for the final time against Chelsea on Sunday May 11 (Photo: Huw Evans Agency, Cardiff)
Bellamy went on: “City would never have gone up without players like Naughts, Mark Hudson and others. They had an inner drive, an intensity to get the job done. We were a group of men focused on the goal of promotion.

“We won the title even though we weren’t the best football team in the division.

“There were sides with superior individuals, other teams who passed the ball better. But as a group we were the strongest mentally.

“It was far from easy and there were setbacks at times, but the team work ethic and understanding within the group was second to none.

“We had the right mix of quality and sheer commitment to achieve what we each wanted.”

McNaughton takes charge of his ‘SuperKev XI’ for Sunday’s big match, while Bellamy is player-manager of the opposing team which includes Andy Legg, Andy Campbell, Robert Earnshaw and Darren Purse.

Bellamy talks about his respect for McNaughton, a Scottish international who started his career with Aberdeen and is playing these days for Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

“You knew Kevin McNaughton would and did make the most of his abilities throughout his playing career,” said Bellamy. “He is a great example to youngsters because his attitude and professionalism are spot on.

“I’m not being harsh in saying that ability-wise Naughts wasn’t the most gifted of players, but his work ethic and what he gave to the team were remarkable.

“Every player has a role in the team. They don’t each have to be the best footballers, able to drive the ball or play quick one-twos, but they must know their role.

“Players who understand their role and put the team first are invaluable. Kev always did that and knew what he was good at. Naughts was a key player during almost a decade with the Bluebirds.

“He was an extremely good defender and it was rare to see wingers or forwards get the better of him.

“Supporters took to him because he gave everything for the Bluebirds shirt every time he went out there. They will forgive shortcomings if they see a player committed to the cause.”

Super Kev’s team: Kevin McNaughton, Mark Hudson, Ben Turner, Lee Naylor, Stephen McPhail, Riccy Scimeca, Craig Conway, Don Cowie, Steven Thompson, Michael Chopra, Jon Parkin, Alex Winter, Matthew Pritchard, Barry McNaughton, Ross O’Donaghue, Darren Mackie plus one competition winning fan.

Bellamy’s Battlers: Craig Bellamy, Andy Legg, Darren Purse, Peter Whittingham, Paul Parry, Robert Earnshaw, Andy Campbell, Trevor Sinclair, Craig Noone, Jimmy Floyd-Hasselbaink, Sean Connelly, Chris Barker, Jason Mohammad plus one competition winning fan.

Standard tickets for McNaughton’s benefit match are £10 with concessions available and can be purchased via the Cardiff City ticket website: https://www.eticketing.co.uk/cardiffcit ... emref=5452
The Ticket Office telephone number is 0845 345 1400. Spectators can also pay on the day.

Kick-off is 3pm, Sunday
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.