Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' CARDIFF CITY'S STAR PLAYER WAS NOT WANTED '

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:28 am

GARY MONK DID NOT WANT 49-TIMES INTERNATIONAL HOVERING AROUND LEEDS TRAINING HQ –

So Cardiff City's manager Neil Warnock who knew Bamba Well,signed Bamba on a free transfer for Cardiff City.

Sol Bamba has become one of Cardiff City's star players since joining the Welsh Club.

Friday 24th March, 2017,

Inside Football

By Alex Stevens

Sol Bamba was discarded outside of the transfer window because Garry Monk did not want him hanging around at Leeds, according to a report.

The Yorkshire Evening Post claim the former Elland Road captain was released in September as Monk “was worried about the club’s captain hovering around Thorp Arch with no prospect of playing”.

In a report that sheds light on the exits of Bamba and fellow discards Toumani Diagouraga and Luke Murphy, it is explained why the Leeds manager was willing to have a tighter squad than many rivals.

Bamba was released from his contract the day after the summer window shut and shortly afterwards signed for Cardiff as a free agent.

Diagouraga and Murphy were sent to train with the Leeds Under-23s and then released on loan in January, to second-tier clubs Ipswich and Burton respectively.

Those were regarded as examples of the ruthlessness of Monk, as the trio were all regulars under former Elland Road manager Steve Evans in the second half of last season.

Even Bamba’s status as club captain did not make him secure and the 32-year-old was frozen out by Monk after just two appearances under the new regime.

“It’s not good to have players at the training ground who know they won’t be playing,” Monk had said soon after his arrival at the club.

Bamba bounced back from his demotion at Leeds to sign for Cardiff in October and he has been a mainstay of the mid-table Championship side this season.

The 49-times Ivory Coast international has made 29 appearances in all competitions for Neil Warnock’s team.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' CARDIFF CITY'S STAR PLAYER WAS NOT WANTED '

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:13 pm

A big thank you to Garry Monk :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:30 pm

To discard one of the best CB's in the Championships who oozes leadership quality is madness but thank you Monky because we have a fantastic player in Bamba :bluescarf:

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:16 am

He has passion ta Monk

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:35 am

His loss
Our gain. :bluescarf:

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:03 pm

We haven't had a centre back that gets us talking since Hudson in the promotion season.

I was weary of what Leeds fans said about his 5 star performance for 3 games and then his shocker game but he hasn't done that, is that down to Warnock and us fans giving him the appreciation and support? I don't know.

I guess Ipswich away was the one time where we really had a problem but bar that he has been the reason why been not so bad at the back like the start of the season. :ayatollah:

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:04 am

La la la la la la Bamba!
:thumbup:

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:18 pm

While I'm happy Warnock picked up Bamba you also have to give credit for Monk for making some tough decisions and getting Leeds to where they are today.

Swansea rivalry aside I personally think that Monk has done an amazing job at Leeds.