Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Warnock a victim of his own success?

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:53 pm

The better we do this season and the further we climb the table may actually weaken Warnock's position when looking for financial backing for next season.

I think most of us can agree that Tan still knows f**k all about how the on field side of a football club works.

He'll be seeing the way Warnock has galvanised the players this season and probably thinks that if Warnock can manage to get this particular group of players playing as well as he has done then there's no reason why he can't get promoted with exactly the same players next season!

Now I am absolutely loving what Warnock is doing with a group of players who were underperforming so badly at the start of the season but if Warnock feels that he needs three or four quality players next season to challenge then I'm quite happy to believe him.

I worry that Tan will think that he knows better than Warnock and will expect the manager to get promoted with what we've got.

Re: Warnock a victim of his own success?

Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Brave post.

I personally think all Tan wants is a stable Championship club that is self sustaining. I believe that has been his plan ever since it looked like OGS was not going to give us a quick return to the top flight.

Warnock was brought in because we were heading for League one. Tan went cheap with Trollope and it failed. Now it looks like we will be keeping our Championship status my fear is that Tan will say thanks but no thanks to Warnock and looks for another manager in the hope he will get it right this time.

Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Brave post.

I personally think all Tan wants is a stable Championship club that is self sustaining. I believe that has been his plan ever since it looked like OGS was not going to give us a quick return to the top flight.

Warnock was brought in because we were heading for League one. Tan went cheap with Trollope and it failed. Now it looks like we will be keeping our Championship status my fear is that Tan will say thanks but no thanks to Warnock and looks for another manager in the hope he will get it right this time.

That's exactly how I see it.

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:54 pm

davids wrote:

That's exactly how I see it.[/quote

NW is Tans man though. Some of what u say makes sense but VT must , as a business man, see that for a comparatively small gamble, he could teach the promised land again. That would make the club saleable even if he doesn't fancy it himself.
He'll back Warnock, I'm sure.

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:04 pm

Surely a self sufficient club is what all fans want especially those who dislike Tan and want him out.

At the end of the day it seems our wage bill is way out of control still, we have quite a few out on loan and it hasn't effected us at all which shows the squad is still to big and unbalanced.

I think the club are going to be sensible, in providing fees to sign a couple of players but trying to keep.the wage bill down.

I hope we can find a few million for warnock as I think he has been brilliant but just as important is the club becoming self sufficient. I think we have made enough mistakes in the past trusting the wrong managers despite success.

Zohore though I think could be the shining light and save us a huge sum of money.

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:29 pm

I think he very much could get promoted next season with this group of players. I don't think even Tan would be crazy enough to let him go though, so surely we will see a new contract offer and a reasonable amount of leeway to bring in players.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:28 am

2blue2handle wrote:

Surely a self sufficient club is what all fans want especially those who dislike Tan and want him out.

At the end of the day it seems our wage bill is way out of control still, we have quite a few out on loan and it hasn't effected us at all which shows the squad is still to big and unbalanced.

I think the club are going to be sensible, in providing fees to sign a couple of players but trying to keep.the wage bill down.

I hope we can find a few million for warnock as I think he has been brilliant but just as important is the club becoming self sufficient. I think we have made enough mistakes in the past trusting the wrong managers despite success.

Zohore though I think could be the shining light and save us a huge sum of money.

Without a doubt self sustaining is Tan priority one. We have made progress towards that this season with the sale or loaning of our squad. There is no talk now of Tan subsidising us to the tune of £1m pm. However we do have the parachute payments hence the need to still cut our cloth. Those payments are not going to be around forever. It will be another couple of seasons before we find out if we are self sustaining. Will Tan want to jeprodise that?

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:16 am

The subject line should probably read....

"Cardiff, a victim of Warnock's success"

Warnock himself is on a win win. He gets what he wants and stays or goes on to the next club that will eagerly want his services after seeing what he has done here.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:35 am

davids wrote:The better we do this season and the further we climb the table may actually weaken Warnock's position when looking for financial backing for next season.

I think most of us can agree that Tan still knows f**k all about how the on field side of a football club works.

He'll be seeing the way Warnock has galvanised the players this season and probably thinks that if Warnock can manage to get this particular group of players playing as well as he has done then there's no reason why he can't get promoted with exactly the same players next season!

Now I am absolutely loving what Warnock is doing with a group of players who were underperforming so badly at the start of the season but if Warnock feels that he needs three or four quality players next season to challenge then I'm quite happy to believe him.

I worry that Tan will think that he knows better than Warnock and will expect the manager to get promoted with what we've got.

David's you are a worrier, still think we are going to be relegated? What will be will be and nothing we can do, enjoy the ride :thumbup:

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:13 pm

Stringfellow wrote:
davids wrote:The better we do this season and the further we climb the table may actually weaken Warnock's position when looking for financial backing for next season.

David's you are a worrier, still think we are going to be relegated? What will be will be and nothing we can do, enjoy the ride :thumbup:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're probably right.

Though even I think we're safe from relegation now - just!

:thumbup:

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:17 pm

If we don't back him he's gone and I don't blame him, like he said today 4 clubs bought £12m players on deadline day he's only asking for £6m.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:29 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
davids wrote:

That's exactly how I see it.[/quote

NW is Tans man though. Some of what u say makes sense but VT must , as a business man, see that for a comparatively small gamble, he could teach the promised land again. That would make the club saleable even if he doesn't fancy it himself.
He'll back Warnock, I'm sure.

Trollope and Slade were Tans men.
Ole and Warnock were Dalmans idea.

Tan would be a fool not to back Neil Warnock.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:04 pm

Best chance that Tan will have to recoup his investment for relatively little. It will tell us sceptics all we need to know about Tan and his ambitions or lack of them. After his mainly shocking decisions thus far you'd think he'd be over the moon to land a manager of Neil's standing......