Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" DECLAN JOHN? ? "

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:02 am

" DECLAN JOHN? "

Inside Cardiff City

By Jamie Kemble

Saturday 18th February 2017

Declan Johns contract runs to June 2018 and he is on approx £5,000 a week.

Declan John has been in and out of the Cardiff City squad since making his breakthrough more than four years ago but does he have a future at the club?

It’s been a frustrating few years for the winger after featuring regularly in the Premier League, he found himself left out and sent on-loan.

Former boss Russell Slade didn’t take too kindly to the Wales under-21 international at all with John sent to complete loan spells with Chesterfield and Barnsley. Slade even accused him of not having the right attitude to improve, saying he ‘needed to go out on-loan to get back on-track’.

John then started this season in Paul Trollope’s side and featured regularly but since Neil Warnock joined the club, only making two appearances and both have been from the bench.

Neil Warnock’s view

Neil Warnock spoke this morning about the 21-year-old and said he hasn’t seen ‘enough drive’ to put him into the team. He admitted: “I’ve not really seen enough of him (Declan John) at the top-level, there’s enough ability in there, but I’ve not seen enough drive to warrant him coming into the team.

“I have looked at a few things in training, like Rhys Healey has got into my squad and my thoughts because of training, Craig Noone got into the team because of training and he got back in because he was back to normal, whereas a few weeks before he was really poor, so I left him out.

“Junior (Hoilett) will be the next one back in because he needed a rest and those two have to be on their toes, but it’s a matter of showing me what we can do, especially at the moment when we only have six or seven subs including young Mark Harris.”

Warnock was also quizzed about what position best suits John and like most, he wasn’t quite sure. He added: “I think we’ll be saying that in 10 years time about him, whoever is managing him. He has a lot to learn defensively – if he wants to be a defender – but I thought he did well when he came on the other night and so did Junior.

“The way we played the game out, we had four of the six minutes by the corner flag and him (john) and Ken (Zohore) did very well. Declan has to keep doing what he did the other night and he will be in my thoughts.”

Who’s standing in John’s way?

There’s been much debate about where john’s favoured position is and given the form of the current squad, neither left-back or left-wing gives him a great opportunity.

In full-back, Joe Bennett has returned to fitness, while Jazz Richards and Matt Connolly have covered the full-back positions during Bennett and Peltier’s absence.

And Warnock has even admitted John has a lot to learn defensively, effectively ruling out a start for him in that position, with the Bluebirds’ boss not being one for taking defensive risks.

If John is a winger, and he most likely is, then he has an even tougher task of breaking into the team with junior Hoilett and Kadeem Harris impressing this season.

Also, Craig Noone has returned to form and indeed the starting XI, scoring an absolute cracker in the 4-3 win over Derby County.

So John’s route to the starting XI is far from clear, and he will have to make-do with five-minute cameos to show the manager what he can offer.

How long has John got to impress?

John has been trying to establish himself in the Cardiff City first team for what seems like forever. He featured regularly in the Premier League, but bizarrely hasn’t been deemed good enough to play in the Championship.

But while he seems like he has been around for an age, he is still just 21 and has time to establish himself as a first team player.

Having said that, his contract runs out in the summer of 2018, making the next 15 months or so vital for him.

Warnock has already said he wants a promotion push next season so providing he sticks around, then he is expected to be ruthless with the building and selecting of his squad.

That doesn’t bode well for John who clearly hasn’t impressed too much just yet, and he may have to find a way into his manager’s thoughts before the end of the season if he is to be given a new contract and to avoid being shipped out in the summer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " DECLAN JOHN? ? "

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:56 am

Definitely spot on he has a lot to learn to be a defender he needs to move on

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:59 am

We only have NW's view of the situation but it seems that Declan John has an attitude problem with a sense of entitlement. He has been told what he needs to do to make an impression and that's in training where he needs to get his head down and start working hard on his game.

Reading the above it seems to me he is on his way out so his wages can be thrown into the mix for squad strengthening next season. That is a shame but that is also life. He'll make a living out of the game but maybe he is not as good as he has been told he is in the past and his career will probably be in the lower leagues, unless he shows a very different attitude.

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:33 pm

he seemed to show us a glimpse of his potential as a winger at the end of the game today-

interestingly i think alot will hinge on whether Hoillet stays - if he goes then i think he'll get his oppurtunity, if he stays then maybe he'll be used as a back up winger?
:ayatollah:

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:34 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:he seemed to show us a glimpse of his potential as a winger at the end of the game today-

interestingly i think alot will hinge on whether Hoillet stays - if he goes then i think he'll get his oppurtunity, if he stays then maybe he'll be used as a back up winger?

It's good that Warnock a proper manager sees his natural position. :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:51 pm

Rydogsccfc wrote:
Blue_Barber wrote:he seemed to show us a glimpse of his potential as a winger at the end of the game today-

Not sure it is that, more I am paying £5K a week and i don't think you are a defender, lets give it a go as a wide midfielder.

He'll need to be moved on over the summer

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:54 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
Rydogsccfc wrote:

Not sure it is that, more I am paying £5K a week and i don't think you are a defender, lets give it a go as a wide midfielder.

He'll need to be moved on over the summer

I would give him a more chances to see what he can do on the wing but if he is moved on I won't complain at all In Neil we trust. :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:27 am

Never ever good enough, only Hype come from this forum. Needs to find a new club.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:37 am

Sounds like he has a massive mountain to climb. If I was him I would start looking for a new club.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:24 am

2blue2handle wrote:Never ever good enough, only Hype come from this forum. Needs to find a new club.

Just what was said about zohore and kadeem and a couple of others
wouldnt bet against warnock getting improvement out of declan john next
maybe its warnocks way of managing individuals
if i was declan now I would be hell bent on proving warnock wrong