Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WARNOCK INTENDS TO KEEP HIM "AS SUPPORT, IF NO MONEY "

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:01 pm

NEIL WARNOCK INTENDS TO KEEP HIM "AS SUPPORT & BECAUSE NO MONEY "

Todays Press Conference

20/01/17

Rhys Healey looks set to remain with Cardiff City for the time being, as Neil Warnock seeks to add more attacking options to his first team squad.

Warnock said: "I've spoken to Mr Tan and if I haven't got the finances to sign a top striker."
"I’d like to sign another attacking player, I’d like two but I can’t see that, as I have to move others out first."

The 22-year-old striker has spent this season on loan in League Two with Newport County but returned to Cardiff City earlier this month having completed his spell.

Healey impressed at Rodney Parade, scoring seven goals in 23 appearances in a struggling County side.

With striking options limited for the Bluebirds, and little money available for new players, it looks as though Healey is set to remain with the club.

"He's really looking like staying here to give us an option," said Warnock.

"I want him to have games, but at the moment, I've spoken to Mr Tan and if I haven't got the finances to sign a top striker, I have to look at what we've got rather than helping someone else - we have to worry about ourselves."

League Two side Plymouth Argyle were known to be interested in the young striker while he was on loan at Newport, and Warnock heavily hinted Healey could be on his way to Devon earlier this week.

Speaking on BT Sport, the Cardiff manager said: "They [Plymouth] have had a lot of injuries, especially with the strikers, and I'm hoping to help them next week by lending them one."

However, it appears as though Healey will now remain at Cardiff to provide support to the first team.

Kenneth Zohore has asserted himself as Warnock's first-choice striker in recent weeks, with Rickie Lambert reduced to a bit-part role.

"Rhys has done ever so well, he might not be a regular but he contribute. He won't be going anywhere unless I can get one or two targets in during the next week."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: WARNOCK INTENDS TO KEEP HIM AS SUPPORT & BECAUSE NO MONE

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Good if it is correct. I really hope he gets some game time this season.

Re: WARNOCK INTENDS TO KEEP HIM AS SUPPORT & BECAUSE NO MONE

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:06 pm

Danny Says wrote:Good if it is correct. I really hope he gets some game time this season.

Danny, I really want to see Rhys Healey have a run of games or even come on as a sub :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird:

Re: WARNOCK INTENDS TO KEEP HIM "AS SUPPORT & BECAUSE NO MON

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:28 pm

Why don't we loan Plymouth Freddy Gounongbe?

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Bobbank59 wrote:Why don't we loan Plymouth Freddy Gounongbe?

Not even Plymouth would want him

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:50 pm

He's said 'If' there's no money, he didn't say he's not got any. Let's just wait and see. It could be Warnock keeping his cards close to his chest, if he goes public saying he's got a few bob to spend on a striker the it could make other clubs push the price up. Warnock is a very old school manager and knows what the crack is. :bluescarf:

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Why is this a suprise ? Every year tw*t says money will be available in January and it never is. So as we were. Hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel soon

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:56 pm

norms76 wrote:He's said 'If' there's no money, he didn't say he's not got any. Let's just wait and see. It could be Warnock keeping his cards close to his chest, if he goes public saying he's got a few bob to spend on a striker the it could make other clubs push the price up. Warnock is a very old school manager and knows what the crack is. :bluescarf:

True Norms, Ive just read it again, I will change headline,but I believe he has not thats why we are keeping Rhys Healey as support.

Re: WARNOCK INTENDS TO KEEP HIM "AS SUPPORT, IF NO MONEY "

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:59 pm

From Facebook

Karl Hewison
Good I'd rather see him given a chance than waste more money on a has been or mercenary. I think we'll be okay now this season under warnock so give him a go then push on with new signings next season hopefully.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Why is this a suprise ? Every year tw*t says money will be available in January and it never is. So as we were. Hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel soon

Fair play it's not what you say but the way you say it which is brilliant :lol:

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:11 pm

It looks like we gave to move players out and once we have money will be available for a top striker

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:13 pm

wez1927 wrote:It looks like we gave to move players out and once we have money will be available for a top striker

That would be my guess.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
wez1927 wrote:It looks like we gave to move players out and once we have money will be available for a top striker

That would be my guess.

I second that.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:16 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:

That would be my guess.

I second that.

Which I don't think is a bad thing ,for years now we've had far too many players picking up big wages and not even playing ,I say trim it right down

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:45 pm

It's time for some common sense,what's the point in spending big money in this transfer window?,if we sign a top striker on big wages,where's the gain?,may be get in the top 8,our main concern this season is to avoid relegation,let Warnock clear the players he don't want in the summer,and if money is available then spend it when the prices are more realistic

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:05 pm

caerblue wrote:It's time for some common sense,what's the point in spending big money in this transfer window?,if we sign a top striker on big wages,where's the gain?,may be get in the top 8,our main concern this season is to avoid relegation,let Warnock clear the players he don't want in the summer,and if money is available then spend it when the prices are more realistic

Agree

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:08 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
norms76 wrote:He's said 'If' there's no money, he didn't say he's not got any. Let's just wait and see. It could be Warnock keeping his cards close to his chest, if he goes public saying he's got a few bob to spend on a striker the it could make other clubs push the price up. Warnock is a very old school manager and knows what the crack is. :bluescarf:

True Norms, Ive just read it again, I will change headline,but I believe he has not thats why we are keeping Rhys Healey as support.

I'd like to think Warnock will get at least 2 in, he's just being clever. I would have thought he would have had assurances regarding transfers before he even took the job.

Tan might just surprise us all, you never know. :bluescarf:

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:22 pm

I'd like to see Healey on the bench tomorrow and try to give him 15-20 minutes in the games to come if the games are suitable.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Hope Healey gets some game time.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:32 pm

Saadi obv not rated as highly as healy then? Unless he's made it clear he doesn't want to play for us.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:41 pm

nubbsy wrote:Saadi obv not rated as highly as healy then? Unless he's made it clear he doesn't want to play for us.

He's on a season loan apparently there is no call back agreement

Well it's nice to know there are still irons in the fire - if you look it as a whole even Warnock isn't going to want to invest in players when he might not be there in the summer clever really from both parties

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:45 pm

Do you think going public, if I'm not backed, I'm leaving is keeping his cards close? Surely this means the future is not laid out, and he doesn't know what will come of any transfer "war chest".. Going public like that, seldom goes well with Tan..

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:53 pm

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:

Do you think going public, if I'm not backed, I'm leaving is keeping his cards close? Surely this means the future is not laid out, and he doesn't know what will come of any transfer "war chest".. Going public like that, seldom goes well with Tan..

Well there can be no ambiguity at end of season! it's either he's getting backed or no NW. :thumbup:

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:59 pm

If anything it's clever from Warnock and the club - he's obviously from this statement only contracted until the end of the season but would want to stay.

The club haven't committed to a long term contract that could see them shell out millions/thousands if things don't go well. I'd imagine the contract and plan for next season would be announced once we are in a comfortable position come April/may

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:00 pm

Hope he does really well and more youngsters get chances to prove their selfs :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:14 pm

He doesn't look close to the first team though even taking into account our lack of firepower. Zahore,lambert,pilkington and that Fred fella all above him in the pecking order. Id let the lad get some first team football with an emergency recall clause

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:15 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Well there can be no ambiguity at end of season! it's either he's getting backed or no NW. :thumbup:

Exactly. But, why go public with it, like a question mark? Surely this means Tan has not made up his mind yet, or even Warnock the vote of confidence? Its a gamble against ffp rules, if they have a go at it. If Warnock fails, its right back at bargain basement.. But my take on it, regardless of what i think of Warnocks football. Stick with it. Dont bail, if we are going through another slump of defeats..

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:20 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Exactly. But, why go public with it, like a question mark? Surely this means Tan has not made up his mind yet, or even Warnock the vote of confidence? Its a gamble against ffp rules, if they have a go at it. If Warnock fails, its right back at bargain basement.. But my take on it, regardless of what i think of Warnocks football. Stick with it. Dont bail, if we are going through another slump of defeats..

NW did say he as until end season to convince tan he's worth backing! So probably tan hasn't made his mind up so it's up to NW to convince tan to support him next season? We know he's worth it guess ran doesn't :thumbup:

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:25 pm

At 22 years old he should be good enough for the first team and challenging for a place in the starting line up

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:28 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

NW did say he as until end season to convince tan he's worth backing! So probably tan hasn't made his mind up so it's up to NW to convince tan to support him next season? We know he's worth it guess ran doesn't :thumbup:

Well, we dont. We all have our past glories, but times change... Im With Tan on this one :thumbup: Warnock proved nothing yet..