Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NEIL WARNOCK:"WARNS CARDIFF CITY I WILL NOT WAIT AROUND"

Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:28 am

' Neil Warnock warns Cardiff City he won't wait around '

Promotion aim

Warnock has revealed that he is targeting promotion next season, and has warned the club that if his ambitions are not matches he won’t wait around

By Chris Wathan

Friday 20th January 2017

Neil Warnock has insisted he won't waste money this transfer window – but warned he won't waste his time at Cardiff City if his promotion ambition is not matched.

Warnock met with Bluebirds owner Vincent Tan in person for the first time last week where the veteran manager put across his hopes for the club with him at the helm.

Warnock:"I've spoken to Mr Tan and if I haven't got the finances to sign a top striker."

The Yorkshireman has steadied the ship at Cardiff City Stadium, with relegation fears significantly eased going into this weekend's clash with Burton.

But while Warnock has seemingly accepted there is little wriggle room in the Bluebirds budget at present, he again made it clear he wants to know it is worth him staying in South Wales.

Warnock said: “I would not want to be anywhere and pick my money up if I have not got a chance of promotion – not at my age now. Perhaps 20 years ago I probably would have loved to have been anywhere for two or three years, but not now.

“I want to have a go next year and Vincent knows that. We have had a friendly chat and he knows I am not going to throw money away now in January when I think it would be silly to get people in place now when you might not want to put them in place in the summer.

“As I said to Vincent on Saturday we need three or four quality players to challenge whoever is in charge....if you want to challenge that is.

Warnock met Tan in London last weekend

“If you don't want to challenge, obviously you can get somebody else in and you can go with what you want to go with. It's one of those things.”

Tan, in the UK on business, met Warnock in London on Saturday evening following the Bluebirds' win over Bristol City earlier in the day, a result that pushed the team clear of the bottom three and maintained momentum under the veteran manager that is close to that of top-six form.

He insisted it was not a place for definitive answers about Tan's thoughts on next season, and accepted that it is down to him to show he can achieve if given the support over the summer.

And it appears Warnock, in return, knows that he may not be able to add again to his squad in this current window following the signing of Allan McGregor on loan from Hull.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NEIL WARNOCK:"CARDIFF CITY I WILL NOT WAIT AROUND"

Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:37 am

That sounds ominous, Reading that it doesnt sound like NW was given any assurances in the meeting.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:38 am

Promotion aim

Warnock has revealed that he is targeting promotion next season, and has warned the club that if his ambitions are not matches he won’t wait around

Neil Warnock: "I would not want to be anywhere and pick my money up if I have not got a chance of promotion – not at my age now."

"I want to have a go next year and Vincent knows that."

Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:42 am

RV Casual wrote:That sounds ominous, Reading that it doesnt sound like NW was given any assurances in the meeting.

He wasn't, Tan wants another meeting later in the year.

I personally believe Warnock might leave by this July.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:02 pm

Warnock was never going to be a long term fix. The club has got to cut its cloth, sort out the debt and become sustainable. A serious promotion challenge will cost a fortune (a quality championship striker is £10m?) and we don't have that sort of cash. Therefore, unless Warnock thinks that he can do some wheeling and dealing on a limited budget, I doubt he will be here next season.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:06 pm

SWilliams wrote:Warnock was never going to be a long term fix. The club has got to cut its cloth, sort out the debt and become sustainable. A serious promotion challenge will cost a fortune (a quality championship striker is £10m?) and we don't have that sort of cash. Therefore, unless Warnock thinks that he can do some wheeling and dealing on a limited budget, I doubt he will be here next season.

As Warnock has stated over the last few weeks,if you want success you have to invest and Warnock would still be a hell of a lot cheaper than any other manager :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Re: NEIL WARNOCK:"WARNS CARDIFF CITY I WILL NOT WAIT AROUND"

Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:07 pm

For me Neil Warnock is one of the best managers this club has had in the last 50 years :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:09 pm

Seems the meeting didn't go that well.. Why else would he put this out? This won't end good..

Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:37 pm

After the financial mess left by Malky and OGC, you can't blame Mr Tan for being cautious.

The anti-Tan regulars already having a go at him with little evidence to go on. Let's just wait and see rather than go for the doom and gloom scenario.

We should be politely pointing out to Mr Tan that we think letting Neil Warnock have some money for a promotion campaign, not having a go at him for being a little cautious.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:50 pm

bluebird58 wrote:After the financial mess left by Malky and OGC, you can't blame Mr Tan for being cautious.

The anti-Tan regulars already having a go at him with little evidence to go on. Let's just wait and see rather than go for the doom and gloom scenario.

We should be politely pointing out to Mr Tan that we think letting Neil Warnock have some money for a promotion campaign, not having a go at him for being a little cautious.

Rubbish. Malky got a budget, he broke it. Ole got his budget, he spent it.. What Tan decides, is his choice.. But he knows what he gets with Warnock.. If he leaves, surely we are back with the likes of Slade..

Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
SWilliams wrote:Warnock was never going to be a long term fix. The club has got to cut its cloth, sort out the debt and become sustainable. A serious promotion challenge will cost a fortune (a quality championship striker is £10m?) and we don't have that sort of cash. Therefore, unless Warnock thinks that he can do some wheeling and dealing on a limited budget, I doubt he will be here next season.

As Warnock has stated over the last few weeks,if you want success you have to invest and Warnock would still be a hell of a lot cheaper than any other manager :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

You cant have it both ways Annis. You can complain about the debt one minute then call for the guy to throw more money at it the next.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:03 pm

polo wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

You cant have it both ways Annis. You can complain about the debt one minute then call for the guy to throw more money at it the next.

Chris, I complain about how they have continually wasted many the current regime,which is 100% true, but you can't then waste money with clueless and crap managers and not back a proven good manager can you?

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
polo wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Chris, I complain about how they have continually wasted many the current regime,which is 100% true, but you can't then waste money with clueless and crap managers and not back a proven good manager can you?

If there is no money left because of the wasted money then you are asking VT to bank roll us thus increasing our debt to him.

Something you have shouted loudly from the rooftops that you want the guy out and the debt brought down, well that's not possible if he has to give Warnock money to have a serious go at it.

Warnock says he wants 3/4 quality players that's 20m plus the way championship transfer market has been inflated thanks to the likes of Newcastle and Villa.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:46 pm

polo wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
polo wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

If there is no money left because of the wasted money then you are asking VT to bank roll us thus increasing our debt to him.

Something you have shouted loudly from the rooftops that you want the guy out and the debt brought down, well that's not possible if he has to give Warnock money to have a serious go at it.

Warnock says he wants 3/4 quality players that's 20m plus the way championship transfer market has been inflated thanks to the likes of Newcastle and Villa.

I really hope that Tan gives Warnock the financial backing. The problem is that the only way to reconcile spending serious cash on a promotion challenge and to avoid further increasing debt is actually getting promoted and not falling short. Tan may not be prepared to take such a big gamble. Especially, when looking at failures of other clubs like Sheffield Wednesday and Derby. Plus there will be no parachute payments.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:52 pm

We don't need to spend millions to challenge for promotion what we need to is to massively improve our recruitment and scour the lower leagues for upcoming talent like what clubs Barnsley have done.
Last edited by Rydogsccfc on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:52 pm

What Warnock said also surprises me a bit. He seems to have taken the job without knowing the facts. Did Warnock not know that we were saddled with debt before he joined or that our current squad has serious limitations. I'm confused as I would have expected more due diligence from Warnock before accepting the appointment or the club made him promises and are now not following through? Either way, his statement today is real concern.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:53 pm

Rydogsccfc wrote:We don't need spend millions to challenge for promotion what we need to to is massively improve our recruitment and scour the lower leagues for upcoming talent like what clubs Barnsley have done.

In that case, you need growth hormone.. Warnock wants to push next year ;) :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Rydogsccfc wrote:We don't need to spend millions to challenge for promotion what we need to is to massively improve our recruitment and scour the lower leagues for upcoming talent like what clubs Barnsley have done.

I agree. But Slade tried this with the likes of Doyle and Revell and it didn't pay off. Warnock is a much better manager (of course) but its still a big risk (not in terms of finances but filling a role with someone unsuitable, and missing the opportunity to progress). I think you need a mixture of getting in developing talent and spending big on established players - if you want promotion sooner rather than later.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:58 pm

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:
Rydogsccfc wrote:We don't need spend millions to challenge for promotion what we need to to is massively improve our recruitment and scour the lower leagues for upcoming talent like what clubs Barnsley have done.

In that case, you need growth hormone.. Warnock wants to push next year ;) :ayatollah:

And with the debt Tan has promised to reduce i'm not really confident that he will have proper money available hope I'm wrong but the alternative is the way I see it if it doesn't Is that Warnock will walk and Bellamy gets promoted as manager and will rely to work on peanuts and if we are going to do that then improve player recruitment and bring in upcoming talent and home grown players. :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:59 pm

You can read that statement anyway you want -

What id take out of it is that Warnock is contracted until the end of the season - but - wants to stay and build a squad capable of promotion at Cardiff OR another club (basically making the world aware that he still could be available).

As a fan group we will know VTs ambition at the end of the season - don't forget that money from promotion and promotion could help the club in the long term if invested wisely so there are a few pros to bank rolling a title challenge - but it is a gamble as football always is.

Wait and see is what I'd say!

Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:00 pm

:lol: "Slide Developing talent".. Now that is a sentence not heard every day, equall to talent and Revell in the same sentence..

Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:04 pm

[quote]Warnock says he wants 3/4 quality players that's 20m plus the way championship transfer market has been inflated thanks to the likes of Newcastle and Villa./quote]

Now, there is an interesting football discussion, and a well worth ten pager "El Polo" :thumbup:
Not least, where do we find those players short term?

Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:05 pm

SWilliams wrote:
Rydogsccfc wrote:We don't need to spend millions to challenge for promotion what we need to is to massively improve our recruitment and scour the lower leagues for upcoming talent like what clubs Barnsley have done.

I agree. But Slade tried this with the likes of Doyle and Revell and it didn't pay off. Warnock is a much better manager (of course) but its still a big risk (not in terms of finances but filling a role with someone unsuitable, and missing the opportunity to progress). I think you need a mixture of getting in developing talent and spending big on established players - if you want promotion sooner rather than later.

Big established players like Polo has said the prices have been inflated to prices that I don't think Tan would be willing to spend while trying to reduce debt so looking for upcoming talent is the only way to do it and Doyle and Revell weren't upcoming Revell was lower league journeyman and Doyle was a lower league one season wonder in his late 20's.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Problem is that finding that talent (ahead of everyone else) is easier said than done. Warnock hasn't managed to do it (yet) in this window (although he might be able to increase the offer on a player like Hayes in the summer. Warnock probably won't be satisfied with this arrangement.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:39 pm

SWilliams wrote:Problem is that finding that talent (ahead of everyone else) is easier said than done. Warnock hasn't managed to do it (yet) in this window (although he might be able to increase the offer on a player like Hayes in the summer. Warnock probably won't be satisfied with this arrangement.

Warnock certainly knows how to find talent, but it's even harder without hardly any money.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:00 pm

I said on this forum a few weeks back that it would not surprise me if Warnock decides to call it a day at the end of this season. I believed that at his age he may want to relax a bit, and also that it would become clear that there would not be sufficient funds made available to mount a serious promotion challenge next season. I think this club will be treading water for a couple of years while the existing debts are being reduced.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Next season (like this) there will be 3 relegated PL clubs whom will instantly be favorites to go back up. swansea, Sunderland & Hull/Palace look favourites and will be well placed for an immediate return. in fact swansea look like they are buying quality championship level players already (Olssen & Carroll) in advance.

However one only has to look at the likes of Villa & Norwich whom with Newcastle would have been favourites to go back up but Newcastle aside, those other 2's best chance is now via the play off's.

Then there are the clubs whom have been in the PL before and expect to get back there one day, like Leeds, Wolves, Derby etc. These clubs spend big.

Then there are the clubs who have had freakish rises to glory like Leicester, swansea, Blackpool & Bournemouth. I won't say Hull, Boro & Burnley are in that category as they have been up, down and back up.

Then there are clubs like Preston, Sheff Wed, Barnsley whom will have one decent season but not quite make it and then fall back again.

So where do City fit into this (assuming they will not be relegated :shock:)?

I would think they would be good shouts at top 6 with Warnock at the helm for a whole season inc pre-season so long as he is given the chance to get in his type of squad. The best chance of an immediate return was our first season back but the club got that totally wrong. City now have an experienced manager who a number of clubs would be delighted to have in their corner.

It would be commercial folly if NW was not given what he wants within reason. One can read what one wants into his statement but I hope it is a warning to Tan that he is our best chance of getting back up and it should not be wasted.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Worrying news
The club is showing signs of everyone being on board with the right structure etc, now NW feels the need to prompt the club for support.
If he walks not sure how the club will manage that tsunami.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:39 pm

fred keenor wrote:Worrying news
The club is showing signs of everyone being on board with the right structure etc, now NW feels the need to prompt the club for support.
If he walks not sure how the club will manage that tsunami.

Not worrying really he as stated what he requires, now it's up to tan to either back his judgement or carry on with cost cutting ? Time will tell what choice is. :old:

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:46 pm

That's wrong he won't be demanding £10 Milliom for strikers, but he will want realistic amounts to make a challenge and he will get it and be here next year. Tans no fool he will give it a go next year and back him !!!