Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Rickie Lambert? ? Plus One of City's Biggest Earners '

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:41 pm

" How best to utilise Rickie Lambert "

By Scott Johnson

Thursday 19th Jan 2017

Cardiff’s high-profile summer signing is warming the bench at present and as one of the biggest earners at the club, that is rather problematic.

It was telling that despite trailing against Bristol City at the weekend, Lambert was not summoned and Neil Warnock’s men turned the game around without him. Having struggled with niggling injuries during his time at the club, he has also only started one of the last six games, the FA Cup defeat against Fulham.

Lambert was very much Paul Trollope’s man and you wonder how Warnock views the former England international. The pace and work rate of Kenneth Zohore is favoured at present, which is understandable within such a static, one-paced side.

If you could merge Lambert and Zohore, you would have the prototype Championship striker.

Zohore is reminiscent of Cameron Jerome, who Cardiff once called upon to function as a one-man wrecking crew up front. Unfortunately, like Jerome, Zohore does not appear to possess the smarts of Lambert. A rookie talent, he may develop in to a more rounded player in time, but having seen Jerome in action for Norwich recently, he is evidence that evolution is by no means guaranteed.

The biggest obstacle to Lambert at present is the system favoured by Warnock. Lambert does not appear to have the legs to play as a lone striker within a 4-3-3 formation and would favour a partner up top.

Lambert and Zohore together could be interesting, but after back to back wins, it looks unlikely that Warnock will see any need to alter the shape of a winning side. There are other options too. I think Lambert and Anthony Pilkington in tandem could be rather effective, or Warnock could throw Rhys Healey in to the mix, but any experimentation will probably have to wait.

That leaves Lambert kicking his heels and watching on from the sidelines, which is the same situation that he was so desperate to escape at West Brom. Lambert turns 35 next month and it is unlikely that he will be content with a few minutes here and there, waiting for opportunities arising from injuries and suspensions. At this stage of his career, he needs games to reach and maintain his fitness levels.

It’s an expensive conundrum for Warnock to solve and one he has inherited rather than created himself.

If Lambert is to avoid becoming yet another expensive Cardiff City flop, it is a situation that will require Warnock’s attention in the coming weeks. Lambert can be a potent weapon if Cardiff play to his strengths, but at the moment, they’re doing just fine without him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Rickie Lambert? ? Plus One of City's Biggest Earners '

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:53 pm

It looks like we've wasted a hell of a lot of wages yet again,will we we ever learn bringing in injured and passed their sell by date players.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:01 pm

One of Trollope's signings I've been really disappointed with.

Thought at the time he was a good signing, and gutted that it looks I was wrong.

Problem is, would anyone come in for him now who would pay his wages?

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:03 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:One of Trollope's signings I've been really disappointed with.

Thought at the time he was a good signing, and gutted that it looks I was wrong.

Ned, In my opinion NO one.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:One of Trollope's signings I've been really disappointed with.

Ned, In my opinion NO one.

terrible signing {because of wages}. but Trolls whole summer window was a multi million pound disaster.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:08 pm

From Facebook

Kevin Roper:
Getting bad service tbh but in the words of the boss his knees are gone !

Aaron Hale:
Not done anything for the club as in scoring goals, work rate around the field is poor also. to me he's another Kenwyne Jones on the pitch, over rated

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:From Facebook

Kevin Roper:

Aaron Hale:
Not done anything for the club as in scoring goals, work rate around the field is poor also. to me he's another Kenwyne Jones on the pitch, over rated

KJ was a lot better for us than Lambert had been

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:14 pm

KBK-13 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:From Facebook

Kevin Roper:

Aaron Hale:

KJ was a lot better for us than Lambert had been

i agree and how much did we save?
KJ goes replaced by Lambert so we save money. but if lambert aint good enough its buy someone else while paying him.
its happened all over the park at a cost of millions.
we needed a manager that said NO

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:14 pm

Can't we give him to the Belgium and get saadi

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Annis, can we get rid of that complete and utter bellend Capitan, seriously ruining this place with his constant crap.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:55 pm

He looks knackeredand not even close to being fit. How the hell did he pass a medical?

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Disappointed with Lambert but I still think that we haven't played to his strengths cross the ball in the box and he will score

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:02 pm

englishbluebird wrote:He looks knackeredand not even close to being fit. How the hell did he pass a medical?

He arrived unfit, still not over his injury and WBA could not believe their luck us saving them a fortune.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:03 pm

wez1927 wrote:Disappointed with Lambert but I still think that we haven't played to his strengths cross the ball in the box and he will score

Wez, I give every new player a chance, but he arrived with a terrible recent record over the last few years, injured all the time,unfit and on massive wages, will we ever learn?

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:05 pm

englishbluebird wrote:He looks knackeredand not even close to being fit. How the hell did he pass a medical?

By now he should be fully fit, for me he's washed up and you won't get a full good season out of him, no one has for years.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:10 pm

RV Casual wrote:Annis, can we get rid of that complete and utter bellend Capitan, seriously ruining this place with his constant crap.

Who?

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:28 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:Annis, can we get rid of that complete and utter bellend Capitan, seriously ruining this place with his constant crap.

Who?

Think he means this

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=180128&hilit=capitan

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:33 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Who?

Roathy/Capitan posting endless crap on the two Jack threads thus bumping them to the top of the page, he needs banning for his own mental health.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:44 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Who?

Roathy/Capitan posting endless crap on the two Jack threads thus bumping them to the top of the page, he needs banning for his own mental health.

I honestly hardly ever look at those threads and I never ever get involved with him.
Roathie has had well over 150 names banned on this forum, I personally believe people should just ignore him.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:10 pm

Easy just sell him to China for £10m

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:20 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Who?

I honestly hardly ever look at those threads and I never ever get involved with him.
Roathie has had well over 150 names banned on this forum, I personally believe people should just ignore him.

Great post.
Why ANYONE talks with him on here is beyond me.
There seems plenty of naive people that do though. Very, very weird.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:26 pm

:lol: i got as far as bellend wondering which player you wanted Annis to exterminate then spluttered out a mouthfull of ribena.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:34 am

dogfound wrote:

:lol: i got as far as bellend wondering which player you wanted Annis to exterminate then spluttered out a mouthfull of ribena.

I honestly originally thought it was a player that he was on about.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:35 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Who?

Great post.

Correct they should just put him on ignore or just not read or answer his posts :thumbright: :thumbright:

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:18 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Who?

Great post.

Correct they should just put him on ignore or just not read or answer his posts :thumbright: :thumbright:

Spot on annis but people will feed his weird little needs by arguing with him.

I know it's not everyone's opinion and I understand but I personally think all Jacks should be banned full stop. I couldn't give a shit about what any of those mutants have got to say.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:22 am

nubbsy wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Who?

Great post.

Spot on annis but people will feed his weird little needs by arguing with him.

I know it's not everyone's opinion and I understand but I personally think all Jacks should be banned full stop. I couldn't give a shit about what any of those mutants have got to say.

Jack, I don't even look at his threads/comments/posts, yet I get pm's of the same people moaning about him, so why don't they just put him on ignore and not reply to him :thumbright: :thumbright:

Why we should not ban all Jacks is because its good to have banter and we talk about them,so they should have the right to reply :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:23 am

Shows how much Pulis loves Cardiff............ here have our scraps!!

now, the BIG question.... If the club pays up his contract will this board go into meltdown again over wasting money OR if they keep him on the bench so not to reach any contract extensions will this board go into meltdown again over wasting money?
:ayatollah:

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:27 am

Jules wrote:Shows how much Pulis loves Cardiff............ here have our scraps!!

now, the BIG question.... If the club pays up his contract will this board go into meltdown again over wasting money OR if they keep him on the bench so not to reach any contract extensions will this board go into meltdown again over wasting money?

Jules, The committee and some posters on here have continually blamed all the previous managers for the financial mess we are currently in, I personally have always blamed Tan and his 6 CEO'S.
Rickie Lambert and Ben Amos two failures before they arrived at Cardiff yet we are paying out between them both over £40,000 a week on two players that are not good enough to start for us,for me yet again that shows we are not learning under the current regime,surely you see that?

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:48 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Jules wrote:Shows how much Pulis loves Cardiff............ here have our scraps!!

Jules, The committee and some posters on here have continually blamed all the previous managers for the financial mess we are currently in, I personally have always blamed Tan and his 6 CEO'S.
Rickie Lambert and Ben Amos two failures before they arrived at Cardiff yet we are paying out between them both over £40,000 a week on two players that are not good enough to start for us,for me yet again that shows we are not learning under the current regime,surely you see that?

c'mon Annis, you also blame DJ (earlier) Trollope (regularly) Sloskaer ( less said the better lol) Slade so whats it going to be keep him or ditch him?
I hate the way money is wasted but many on here were bragging Lambert up and what he was on say 14 15 goals by now ?

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:02 am

Jules wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

c'mon Annis, you also blame DJ (earlier) Trollope (regularly) Sloskaer ( less said the better lol) Slade so whats it going to be keep him or ditch him?
I hate the way money is wasted but many on here were bragging Lambert up and what he was on say 14 15 goals by now ?

Jules, come on I blamed DJ for his pig ignorant attitude and his failing at the final hurdle 6 years running.

I never once bragged up Lambert, not once.

Ole lovely man, but clueless as a manager in the English leagues.

What I said was the man at the top should take the blame for the over all finances.

I never ever change my views like others do every other week, I stand by them unless a manager or owner totally proves me wrong :thumbright: :thumbright: