Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Swansea have the 19th Highest Wage Bill In Europe!!?!

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:10 pm

Just listening to Talk Sport and they were talking about how high Villa'a wage bill is (20th highest in europe), then someone popped up to say Swansea have the 19th highest in Europe?!

:shock:

Re: Swansea have the 19th Highest Wage Bill In Europe!!?!

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:16 pm

pauly_gee wrote:Just listening to Talk Sport and they were talking about how high Villa'a wage bill is (20th highest in europe), then someone popped up to say Swansea have the 19th highest in Europe?!

:shock:

And the smallest ground and weakest squad :thumbup:

They could easily do a Portsmouth, with a few more mistakes :occasion5: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Personally I can see Villa being in the championship for a good few years yet, it's not a stadium you actually fear playing at, they may struggle to get back up. Regarding their finances, surely they need to cut back next season or the debt will run up.

Regarding Swansea I can see them spiralling down the leagues, they have a small stadium and once the parachute payments run out their in shit street. I can see the American backers doing one when the money train stops and they actually start losing money.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:19 pm

I didn't think so

http://talksport.com/football/top-20-bi ... 202137?p=0

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:23 pm

Only repeating what was read out on air!

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:25 pm

polo wrote:I didn't think so

http://talksport.com/football/top-20-bi ... 202137?p=0

OP could have got it wrong, it could be wage bill v income or something like that, either way their fans are shitting at the thought of them coming down, due to their relative wage bill !!!

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:26 pm

pauly_gee wrote:Only repeating what was read out on air!

Actually there's a link in google to the daily star 5 days ago which has them at 19th so it has been reported.

However Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan, Everton and West Ham were not on that list. I can't see them having higher wage bills than them somehow.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Bluebina wrote:

OP could have got it wrong, it could be wage bill v income or something like that, either way their fans are shitting at the thought of them coming down, due to their relative wage bill !!!

Why would they be scared? Unless they assume the likes of Sigurdsson will want to stay? :D

Llorente, Gomis, Gylfi, Montero, Ki and Borja will certainly leave. I don't think anybody else would command a signifficant wage.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:57 pm

Capitano wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Why would they be scared? Unless they assume the likes of Sigurdsson will want to stay? :D

Llorente, Gomis, Gylfi, Montero, Ki and Borja will certainly leave. I don't think anybody else would command a signifficant wage.

I don't know the whole Swansea squad but no doubt there are more players who are on high wages that may be more difficult to shift. Swansea selling all these players will be bare thin in the championship player wise and will need to strengthen, and without quality players like them named, Swansea will be at risk of spiralling down to league 1, gone are the days of Swansea playing good football.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:18 pm

DreamWelsh wrote:
I don't know the whole Swansea squad but no doubt there are more players who are on high wages that may be more difficult to shift. Swansea selling all these players will be bare thin in the championship player wise and will need to strengthen, and without quality players like them named, Swansea will be at risk of spiralling down to league 1, gone are the days of Swansea playing good football.

Again that just sounds like wishful thinking rather than reality, which is fine. It depends if you want a realistic and factual discussion or not.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:20 pm

Capitano wrote:
DreamWelsh wrote:

Again that just sounds like wishful thinking rather than reality, which is fine. It depends if you want a realistic and factual discussion or not.

You say wishful thinking? What makes you think I want Swansea to go down to league 1, I enjoy the derby, it's just a reality that's happened to a lot bigger clubs than Swansea.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:25 pm

DreamWelsh wrote:
Capitano wrote:
DreamWelsh wrote:

You say wishful thinking? What makes you think I want Swansea to go down to league 1, I enjoy the derby, it's just a reality that's happened to a lot bigger clubs than Swansea.

Just a hunch. I'm not saying it can't happen, but on the balance of probability - it won't. Fabianski, Mawson, Olsson, Naughton, Dyer, Fer, Montero, Barrow, Carroll, Cork, Britton would walk into most Championship sides and is one heck of a base to work from. I envisage most of that lot staying with the Jacks if relegated.... Yet to see what Luciano Narshingh is like either.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Capitano wrote:
DreamWelsh wrote:
Capitano wrote:
DreamWelsh wrote:

Just a hunch. I'm not saying it can't happen, but on the balance of probability - it won't. Fabianski, Mawson, Olsson, Naughton, Dyer, Fer, Montero, Barrow, Carroll, Cork, Britton would walk into most Championship sides and is one heck of a base to work from. I envisage most of that lot staying with the Jacks if relegated.... Yet to see what Luciano Narshingh is like either.

Hmm not to sure myself, not much of a defence there, you only have to look at the strength of villa and see where they are in the league, will Swansea's team be any better next season I'm not sure. I don't Swansea will go down again but they'll certainty be fighting relegation.

Some of those players could move on to fer, Montero are probably on hefty wages, can Swansea afford to keep them I can imagine not.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:37 pm

DreamWelsh wrote:
Capitano wrote:
DreamWelsh wrote:
Capitano wrote:
DreamWelsh wrote:

Hmm not to sure myself, not much of a defence there, you only have to look at the strength of villa and see where they are in the league, will Swansea's team be any better next season I'm not sure. I don't Swansea will go down again but they'll certainty be fighting relegation.

Some of those players could move on to fer, Montero are probably on hefty wages, can Swansea afford to keep them I can imagine not.

Certainly. Parachute payments are hefty in the current Sky package Swansea will have a far larger allowance for wages for the next 3 years (I think its 3 anyway) than most Championship clubs. It is specifically designed to handle contacts of these kind of players in the league below. The likes of Sigurdson, Llorente and Borja will obviously have to move on. But that would bring in £40 million by itself. Time will tell I guess. Hey, they may even stay up. Although personally i doubt it.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Capitano wrote:
DreamWelsh wrote:
Capitano wrote:
DreamWelsh wrote:
Capitano wrote:
DreamWelsh wrote:

Certainly. Parachute payments are hefty in the current Sky package Swansea will have a far larger allowance for wages for the next 3 years (I think its 3 anyway) than most Championship clubs. It is specifically designed to handle contacts of these kind of players in the league below. The likes of Sigurdson, Llorente and Borja will obviously have to move on. But that would bring in £40 million by itself. Time will tell I guess. Hey, they may even stay up. Although personally i doubt it.

That 40 mil will be going straight into the coffers of the American investors so doesn't really make a difference how much is made, got a feeling they will rinse Swansea and those parachute payments for every penny then do one.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:44 pm

DreamWelsh wrote:That 40 mil will be going straight into the coffers of the American investors so doesn't really make a difference how much is made, got a feeling they will rinse Swansea and those parachute payments for every penny then do one.

They aren't legally able to do that, not to mention it being completely counter productive even if they were able to.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:48 pm

Capitano wrote:
DreamWelsh wrote:That 40 mil will be going straight into the coffers of the American investors so doesn't really make a difference how much is made, got a feeling they will rinse Swansea and those parachute payments for every penny then do one.

They aren't legally able to do that, not to mention it being completely counter productive even if they were able to.

What has Huw done then? Why are the Swansea fans saying he's cashed in, the Americans can't do the same can they ?

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:53 pm

DreamWelsh wrote:
Capitano wrote:

What has Huw done then? Why are the Swansea fans saying he's cashed in, the Americans can't do the same can they ?

He sold his shares, perfectly fine. They were his to sell.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:55 pm

Capitano wrote:
DreamWelsh wrote:
Capitano wrote:

Surely an owner (the Americans) have the right to bank profits from a business ? They have used their money to purchase players so why can't they pocket any.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:59 pm

DreamWelsh wrote:
Capitano wrote:
DreamWelsh wrote:
Capitano wrote:

Surely an owner (the Americans) have the right to bank profits from a business ?

They don't own the club, the are just majority shareholders. The supporters Trust own 22% of the club, plus there are other shareholders (dineen 1%, Jenkins 5%, Morgan 5%) plus the FA can withhold parachute payments if they are taken straight out of the club. Any dividends paid are paid proportionately, so the supporters Trust would get 21% of any dividends if the shareholders vote to take one.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:02 pm

Capitano wrote:
DreamWelsh wrote:
Capitano wrote:
DreamWelsh wrote:
Capitano wrote:

Surely an owner (the Americans) have the right to bank profits from a business ?

They don't own the club, the are just majority shareholders. The supporters Trust own 22% of the club, plus there are other shareholders (dineen 1%, Jenkins 5%, Morgan 5%) plus the FA can withhold parachute payments if they are taken straight out of the club. Any dividends paid are paid proportionately, so the supporters Trust would get 21% of any dividends if the shareholders vote to take one.

So they can pocket the 40 mil from player sales but not the parachute payments isit ?

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:04 pm

DreamWelsh wrote:

So they can pocket the 40 mil from player sales but not the parachute payments isit ?

They can't do either.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:07 pm

Ah right there we go then, just find it strange why have they invested if there's no money to be made for them what's the point.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:09 pm

DreamWelsh wrote:Ah right there we go then, just find it strange why have they invested if there's no money to be made for them what's the point.

They own 60% they can make decisions without a vote and can pay themselves a large dividend if they want. The other shareholders will get a cut of the percentage they own as well though.

The trust do not have enough of a stake to stop anything so as far as voting rights go it's worthless.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:12 pm

DreamWelsh wrote:Ah right there we go then, just find it strange why have they invested if there's no money to be made for them what's the point.

They bought the shares relatively cheaply. The only way they can make money is to be in the Premier League wait for the value of the club to increase with higher TV contracts going up every year. They are venture capitalists, they buy companies cheaply and then sell on for a profit when the company increases in value.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:16 pm

polo wrote:

They own 60% they can make decisions without a vote and can pay themselves a large dividend if they want. The other shareholders will get a cut of the percentage they own as well though.

The trust do not have enough of a stake to stop anything so as far as voting rights go it's worthless.

Unfortunately polo that is not true. A dividend can only be taken if the club makes a profit, and it will be a proportion of that profit. I don't think it is possible for the Swans to make a profit next season if relegated, maybe 5 million max. So they would be able to take £3 million if they voted to do that of course. Which obviously they wouldn't as it would be massively counter productive and provide the Trust with even more of a warchest to be able to strengthen their share position in a share option.. It literally makes zero sense. A no goer. But I am sure sense isn't what you are after :laughing6:

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:17 pm

polo wrote:
pauly_gee wrote:Only repeating what was read out on air!

Actually there's a link in google to the daily star 5 days ago which has them at 19th so it has been reported.

However Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan, Everton and West Ham were not on that list. I can't see them having higher wage bills than them somehow.

The good old Daily Star aye! I would have stopped my research there and then.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Capitano wrote:
polo wrote:

Unfortunately polo that is not true. A dividend can only be taken if the club makes a profit, and it will be a proportion of that profit. I don't think it is possible for the Swans to make a profit next season if relegated, maybe 5 million max. So they would be able to take £3 million if they voted to do that of course. Which obviously they wouldn't as it would be massively counter productive and provide the Trust with even more of a warchest to be able to strengthen their share position in a share option.. It literally makes zero sense. A no goer. But I am sure sense isn't what you are after :laughing6:

Sell players for 40m and make no profit?!?

The parachute payments are there to help cover the wages.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:21 pm

polo wrote:Sell players for 40m and make no profit?!?

The parachute payments are there to help cover the wages.

Not a penny I wouldn't have thought. Player sales are amortised, usually paid every 6 months over the length of the contracts. In a calendar year they would probably receive £8-10m of that.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:21 pm

Capitano wrote:

They bought the shares relatively cheaply. The only way they can make money is to be in the Premier League wait for the value of the club to increase with higher TV contracts going up every year. They are venture capitalists, they buy companies cheaply and then sell on for a profit when the company increases in value.

Well they are poor businessmen as Swanseas value is going to drop like a lead balloon when they get relegated which is nailed on imo. A championship club that doesn't own its own stadium are not going to hold much value.