Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Volunteers for Champions League

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:41 am

Why always volunteers - surely they can afford to pay these people?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-38657264

Re: Volunteers for Champions League

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:24 am

For information, a link to the application

http://www.faw.cymru/cardiff2017/become-champion/

Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:24 pm

There was many for the olympics, why pay when they know that there are people who will love getting a uniform all their travel paid for any other expences like food etc and will be involved in massive events

Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:35 pm

valleyrambill wrote:There was many for the olympics, why pay when they know that there are people who will love getting a uniform all their travel paid for any other expences like food etc and will be involved in massive events

Appreciate what you say but football is a business with players, officials etc get paid large amounts of money. These "volunteers" will just save UEFA lots of money for them to spend elsewhere on themselves. If they expect people to do a job for them they should also expect to pay for it. Unlikely that any of these people will have a chance to see the game or be given positions where they meet the "stars".

Hats off to those that want to volunteer but UEFA really should pay for their services :old:

Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:08 pm

Just done my application, if I'm successful I hope to meet OUR Gareth :thumbright:

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:22 pm

This is what the article said:

More than 1,000 volunteers are being sought for the 2017 Champions League final in Cardiff.

The Football Association of Wales has launched its Become a Champion campaign to find people to help with transport, marketing, ticketing and VIP services.

Another 500 people could perform in a pre-match ceremony at the Principality Stadium - which will be called the National Stadium of Wales for the game.

The volunteers are wanted in the days before and on the final on 3 June.

They are also needed to help with the Women's Champions League final at the Cardiff City Stadium on 1 June.
FAW chief executive Jonathan Ford said: "The Uefa Champions League final and Uefa Women's Champions League final represent the pinnacle of European club football.

"Our aim is that everyone in Wales also has an opportunity to experience unforgettable moments when these iconic events come to Cardiff."

Officials said recruitment credentials would not only be based on professional qualifications.

They will also look at volunteers' "motivation, availability and team spirit".

Whilst three is no mention of 'free labour', it is clear that many of those selected to work at the event will do so for 'the love of being involved' and for many that will mean minimal return from UEFA; maybe a partial uniform, some food and an ID badge to hold as a momento!

Others, however, will be paid (I know several 'volunteers' already recruited for differing roles) and some of those will be based inside the stadium with a reasonable chance of seeing at least part of the game

IMHO, all volunteers should be paid. As Fusilier23 said, football (particularly where UEFA is involved) is a business and plenty 'inside' will be well paid for their efforts, so those ensuring the safety and enjoyment of attending fans should be respected enough to be compensated financially for their time and huge effort! :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:29 pm

I agree with Fusilier and Sven.

When you think of all the money that is in Football and the coffers of Uefa and think that there is every chance there will be players playing the game earning circa £250,000+ a WEEK it is an absolute disgrace to 'ask for volunteers' to work for free :roll:

I see there is a picture of Gareth Bale holding a sign saying 'Become a Champion'. I have lost a bit of respect for him for that.

f**k that for a laugh, id rather shit in my hands and clap.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:11 pm

There is no excuse, everyone should be paid, and handsomely too as it's a one off event that should be aiming to impress.
Should be boycotted in my opinion

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:23 pm

imagine a company like tesco asvertising for volunteers.
no transport
no pay.
free tesco uniform.
a sandwich and bottle of water while on duty.
a certificate.
but you do get to go on the xmas party.
the press would go into meltdown.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:33 am

RV Casual wrote:I agree with Fusilier and Sven.

When you think of all the money that is in Football and the coffers of Uefa and think that there is every chance there will be players playing the game earning circa £250,000+ a WEEK it is an absolute disgrace to 'ask for volunteers' to work for free :roll:

I see there is a picture of Gareth Bale holding a sign saying 'Become a Champion'. I have lost a bit of respect for him for that.

f**k that for a laugh, id rather shit in my hands and clap.

We mustn't forget the army of regular 'volunteers' who work at the Principality Stadium for every (or most) event that is held there :thumbup:

Those guys and girls will be used for the UEFA Champions League Final and will be paid for their time, as always. Their experience and site knowledge will be invaluable on the night! :ayatollah: