Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " CITY PLAYER LEAVES AFTER JUST PAYING £2MILL "

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:38 am

Lawnmower wrote:
dogfound wrote:
polo wrote:You're wasting your time DF the clown thinks it's common practice and generally accepted in all football clubs that players over will have clauses for assists put in their contracts :lol:

I was telling an ex pro footballer mate of mine about some of the beauts on here and he said all clubs have got them but he did chuckle at that one. :lol:

gets worse. almost 20 years in lower leagues ,get promotion to 2nd tier and its shit?
you cant make this up
and lee was a 1st teamer because he was all we could afford. think that covers every footballer in the world bar half a dozen?

Think you are getting Polos reply about another poster mixed up with your conversation with me.

Lee by the way was all we could afford BECAUSE we'd wasted so much money on him and had nothing left to replace him with.
You even agreed he was shit.

Plus, we WERE shit for what we had spent.
We should have been top 6, but had wasted it on Lee, Campbell, Langley, Inanoto, Weston, Bullock, Croft, Boulding, Harris, Kiskela etc..

This then meant we were skint and had to bring in the likes of Ndumbu Nsunga, Darlington, Ferretti, Whitely etc.. whilst Jones tried to keep us up ( thanks to Koufax on loan mainly).

No comparison to the real dark days, but we'd spent like fools to get there and we've been paying the price in one form or other since.

Don't get me wrong, I've been there every minute and it's been amazing, but to make out it's only been since Tan has been here that we've made mistakes with transfers is nonsense

you need to re think this. those are not big name signings..top 6 after an 18 year absence not asking much were you.because we had signed lee bullock from york.seriously?
at no point did we have the spending power to be top 6 in this division until malkys 2nd year.
the play off finishes under jones and malkys 1st year were over achieving.
genuinely shocked that we had fans that thought being back in the championship would be a cake walk.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:40 am

anyway Immers gone to Brugge.1 f*cking day. free agent nice signing on fee.top business

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:54 am

dogfound wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:
dogfound wrote:
polo wrote:You're wasting your time DF the clown thinks it's common practice and generally accepted in all football clubs that players over will have clauses for assists put in their contracts :lol:

I was telling an ex pro footballer mate of mine about some of the beauts on here and he said all clubs have got them but he did chuckle at that one. :lol:

gets worse. almost 20 years in lower leagues ,get promotion to 2nd tier and its shit?
you cant make this up
and lee was a 1st teamer because he was all we could afford. think that covers every footballer in the world bar half a dozen?

Think you are getting Polos reply about another poster mixed up with your conversation with me.

Lee by the way was all we could afford BECAUSE we'd wasted so much money on him and had nothing left to replace him with.
You even agreed he was shit.

Plus, we WERE shit for what we had spent.
We should have been top 6, but had wasted it on Lee, Campbell, Langley, Inanoto, Weston, Bullock, Croft, Boulding, Harris, Kiskela etc..

This then meant we were skint and had to bring in the likes of Ndumbu Nsunga, Darlington, Ferretti, Whitely etc.. whilst Jones tried to keep us up ( thanks to Koufax on loan mainly).

No comparison to the real dark days, but we'd spent like fools to get there and we've been paying the price in one form or other since.

Don't get me wrong, I've been there every minute and it's been amazing, but to make out it's only been since Tan has been here that we've made mistakes with transfers is nonsense

you need to re think this. those are not big name signings..top 6 after an 18 year absence not asking much were you.because we had signed lee bullock from york.seriously?
at no point did we have the spending power to be top 6 in this division until malkys 2nd year.
the play off finishes under jones and malkys 1st year were over achieving.
genuinely shocked that we had fans that thought being back in the championship would be a cake walk.

Think you are completely ignoring the point.
Hardly surprising after you accused me of being a new fan - despite you only being on here for 5 minutes .

If you think back, most fans thought we were going to go up quickly after the money we had spent. None of us realised it was about to all run out. We had splashed out to get to the Championship big time and were amongst the favourites to go up. We completely underachieving as several of these players showed they aren't up to it.
Are you seriously saying that none of the guys I've mentioned were bad business ?

But no problem if you think different.
Just don't expect everyone to agree, when so many of us can remember what happened.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:58 am

dogfound wrote:anyway Immers gone to Brugge.1 f*cking day. free agent nice signing on fee.top business

As mentioned above this was probably lined up already, hence his willingness to cancel a lucrative contract.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:10 pm

dogfound wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:
dogfound wrote:so. Alan Lee who was a first team regular for 2 seasons {shite.but not in the eyes of our actual football experts at the time }and hughes who retired due to injury are comparable to all those listed?
btw it want me that tried to make a point by throwing kav and thorne in, i just stated the bleedingly obvious.
or me that made the transfer fee profit point when everyone and his dog knows that a large proportion of players we sign have run contracts down and therefore can demand huge signing on fees which do not show up as transfer fees.

Lee was only a 1st teamer because all the money had been wasted on him- and Andy Campbell come to think of it around the same time so there was nothing left to replace them with.
We were absolutely shite and had thrown away tens of millions to get there.

So the current situation is nothing new.

Luckily we now have a pragmatic experienced football man in charge.
So let's hope he can turn it around as we've one season left of parachute money and that could be our last chance of challenging for a long time

you must be a young one. just been promoted for 1st time in eons and NOT deep in a relegation battle. shit?. those that had been regulars were over the frigging moon.i know i was.

No.
I've been going 35 years.

I can remember my mate shouting at Jones to make a change when we were struggling to score and Jones just looked accross at Lee and looked back at my mate and shrugged his shoulders.

For all the money we spent we should have done better than finish in the bottom half of the table first 2 seasons back.
Don't forget we already had Earnie, Kev, Thorne, Gabbidon, Collins, 5 players who would walk into any side at this level.

Spending big money on a striker who scored 10 in 86 didn't help.

So the point is, signings are a gamble. There's nothing new about them going wrong.

Remember the million we spent on Andy Campbell after he'd been brilliant on loan. We were L1 then. Teams around us weren't able to compete. Yet he left for nothing after 7 goals in 73 games and didn't score another league goal again.

Same happens at other clubs too.

That's football

most pple i spoke to were pleased with the progress,the team sounds impressive now but you have to remember that ,collins and earnie were kids and kav and thorne were big name signings in a league lower.and neither did much after leaving.
Lee btw left for Ipswich {a decent club} 100k with a year left on contract which is a 100k more than the 20 or so polo named combined.so wasnt nearly as poor as you make out.
the point is not that transfers are a gamble. the point is can you name any other club thats cancelled this many contracts in such a short period.this club certainly has never before .

Earnie was 23, hardly a kid.
Kav and Thorne were 2 of the best in their position outside the Top division.
Collins was 21, but already a grown man and superb player.
This was to be the nucleus of a promotion challenging side.

£100k for Lee after what we'd spent on him wasn't exactly good business and does nothing to detract from the fact we wasted a huge amount of money on him.

One thing I've learnt in the best part of 20 years on these message boards is people are unlikely to change their opinion no matter what is said, so that's me out for now and hope you enjoy the game tomorrow :thumbup:

Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:59 pm

Lawnmower you're rewriting history I am afraid.

To suggest we should have been top 6th in the first season back and we're one of the favourites for promotion is laughable.

We'd only just finished 6th in the league below and were up in a division against teams like West Ham, Sunderland, West Brom, Coventry and many others with a far better pedigree for 2nd tier football than we had at that stage.

Consolidation was the aim in that first season and 13th was a solid performance.

I don't see how Alan Lee has any relevance to the current argument tbh it's widely accepted not all transfers work the issue here is the worrying trend last few years of signing players and deeming them surplus requirements within months or in some cases weeks!!!

This then leading to large contracts being paid up and the club losing a hell of a lot of money and then not learning from it as we are now on our 4th or 5th set of signings in 3 years that are not wanted within months of signing them.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:14 pm

polo wrote:Lawnmower you're rewriting history I am afraid.

To suggest we should have been top 6th in the first season back and we're one of the favourites for promotion is laughable.

We'd only just finished 6th in the league below and were up in a division against teams like West Ham, Sunderland, West Brom, Coventry and many others with a far better pedigree for 2nd tier football than we had at that stage.

Consolidation was the aim in that first season and 13th was a solid performance.

I don't see how Alan Lee has any relevance to the current argument tbh it's widely accepted not all transfers work the issue here is the worrying trend last few years of signing players and deeming them surplus requirements within months or in some cases weeks!!!

This then leading to large contracts being paid up and the club losing a hell of a lot of money and then not learning from it as we are now on our 4th or 5th set of signings in 3 years that are not wanted within months of signing them.

I remember well when we eventually returned to second tier football after a long time away. Personally, I did'nt think we had any chance at all of promotion on our return after such a long time away. My main hope that season was that we would not make an immediate return to the lower leagues. If I remember rightly(I may be wrong), we lost our first home game to Bradford, or perhaps it was our second, I can't remember. I know I thought at the time that it may take a while for our players to get used to playing at this level, but in the end we did well and finished mid table. Afraid we have a lot of fans who always expect us to be challenging for automatic promotion, this season was no different, but sometimes these people need a reality check. We are never going to be the only team in our league with a few decent players.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:50 pm

oh my God, Lawnmower some well educated and written stuff there, like you seen it all before, then you drop Weston in, bloody gave me shivers that did :D
enjoy the weekend mate :thumbup:

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:34 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:

I remember well when we eventually returned to second tier football after a long time away. Personally, I did'nt think we had any chance at all of promotion on our return after such a long time away. My main hope that season was that we would not make an immediate return to the lower leagues. If I remember rightly(I may be wrong), we lost our first home game to Bradford, or perhaps it was our second, I can't remember. I know I thought at the time that it may take a while for our players to get used to playing at this level, but in the end we did well and finished mid table. Afraid we have a lot of fans who always expect us to be challenging for automatic promotion, this season was no different, but sometimes these people need a reality check. We are never going to be the only team in our league with a few decent players.

First game was a 0-0 at Rotherham. An usually hot day for British football. The next game was a 2-0 loss to Bradford at NP.

After our mid table finish our expectations were a play off spot. We ended up in a relegation fight.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:26 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

First game was a 0-0 at Rotherham. An usually hot day for British football. The next game was a 2-0 loss to Bradford at NP.

After our mid table finish our expectations were a play off spot. We ended up in a relegation fight.

Cheers Baked, thought it was a 2-0 loss early on. To be honest, after so many years away from the second tier, I was just praying we could get to 50 points as I would have been gutted if we had gone straight back down. From what I recall about that season, we were never in any real trouble, although we were never threatening the top positions either. Playing at this level had just been a dream for so long, survival was the main thing for me. Spent years watching teams at this level, and thinking we used to be playing regularly in that division. Just hope we don't blow things this sesason. Easier to go down than up.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:31 pm

The quoted few was the cost of his contract as far as I'm aware he was a free transfer

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:16 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

I was at both. I was just happy to be in this league and hoped only for consolidation for the forseeable future with the odd chance of making the playoffs once in a while with a bit of luck.