Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Its been said so many times/Should Cardiff Sign them? '

Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:12 am

Should Cardiff consider re-signing these Crystal Palace players?

By Joshua Slack

Wednesday 7th December 2016

It is nearing the all-important transfer window and Neil Warnock has set out his plans for what type of players he would like to sign in January.

Could former Bluebirds Fraizer Campbell and Jordan Mutch be in Warnock’s plans come January? Both have rarely featured for Crystal Palace this season, and will be craving first-team football.

This could be a massive incentive for Warnock to sign one of the two, or even both players. Since leaving the Bluebirds it has never really worked out for either players. In fact since leaving the Bluebirds Jordan Mutch is yet to register a competitive goal.

The former Bluebirds have been constantly linked with returns since departing but nothing has ever materialized.

Mutch. who had a brief spell at Queens Park Rangers, played nine times for the London club before moving to another London-based club in Crystal Palace but has failed to impress since making the move and doesn’t seem to be in Alan Pardew’s first-team plans at the struggling Premier league outfit.

During his time at the Bluebirds, Mutch was superb. His performances under Malky Mackay during the Premier league season were excellent, and was one of the stand-out performers in the one season City spent in the Premier league. He also scored one of the goals of the season earlier on in the Premier league season against Fulham.

Mutch also played a key part of the squad who got promoted to the Premier league as Champions in the 2012/2013 season and could be a perfect fit for the Bluebirds who have struggled so far this season.

He could be the missing piece that is missing in the midfield, especially with the out-of-form Joe Ralls struggling too. It would almost be a perfect signing for Mutch, who loved his time at the capital before switching to Queens Park Rangers.

Another player who loved his time at the capital is striker Fraizer Campbell, however he has never been able to replicate it at Crystal Palace. Injuries have played a major reason, but like Mutch he has failed to make an impression at the South London club, scoring a mere 4 goals in 33 appearances for the club.

Obviously it would be a risk for the Bluebirds to re-sign the striker, mainly due to his injury problems, also he isn’t that striker who can get you that 20+ goals per season. But, you do know exactly what you’re going to get from the striker.

He possesses fantastic energy, and will chase down any lost cause. He could prove to be a telling signing for Warnock and he could make a good partnership for the ageing Ricky Lambert but is the pacey striker worth taking a risk on?

Of course both Fraizer Campbell and Jordan Mutch would potentially make for risky signings and their wages wouldn’t be cheap, but they were at the best when playing their football in the capital City – A return would provide an opportunity to rejuvenate their careers and it would certainly please the City fans.

Re: ' Its been said so many times/Should Cardiff Sign them?

Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:54 am

Campbell might not be prolific but over a full season at Championship level he would get 15 goals, Mutch would get 7-10, so that's quite a lot of scoring power to add to Lambert, Whitts, Morrison, etc.

I actually think a Campbell/Lambert partnership would be well worth a gamble but it certainly would be a gamble with Lambert's age and Campbell's injuries.

Re: ' Its been said so many times/Should Cardiff Sign them?

Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:18 pm

I wouldn't sign mutch, he's a great player but fat too injury prone.

A front two of Campbell and Lambert is pretty mouth watering, I think they'd compliment eachother. I don't think Campbell would command a big fee these days but his wages may be a stumbling block. Either way I don't think it will happen.