Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Kevin Nicholson Leaves Cardiff City "

Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:48 am

By mutual consent

Kevin Nicholson

U23s Manager

One of the first FA Elite Coaches in Great Britain, Kevin graduated with the FA Elite Coaches Award earlier in his career as one of the World’s top 16 young coaches. A holder of the UEFA ‘A’ Licence qualification, he was selected by the LMA to be part of its Leadership Education Programme.

Prior to becoming Cardiff City U18s Manager in 2013, Kevin enjoyed successful spells with Derby County, Stoke City and Exeter City. He has been instrumental in the development of a number of young players who now play regularly in the Barclays Premier League and Sky Bet Championship – a key factor, along with his exemplary track record, in the decision to appoint him in this critical role.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Kevin Nicholson Leaves Cardiff City "

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:15 pm

Always Blue wrote:By mutual consent

Kevin Nicholson

U23s Manager

One of the first FA Elite Coaches in Great Britain, Kevin graduated with the FA Elite Coaches Award earlier in his career as one of the World’s top 16 young coaches. A holder of the UEFA ‘A’ Licence qualification, he was selected by the LMA to be part of its Leadership Education Programme.

Prior to becoming Cardiff City U18s Manager in 2013, Kevin enjoyed successful spells with Derby County, Stoke City and Exeter City. He has been instrumental in the development of a number of young players who now play regularly in the Barclays Premier League and Sky Bet Championship – a key factor, along with his exemplary track record, in the decision to appoint him in this critical role.

I think warnock is taking a more hands on role with the academy

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:23 pm

i think some people are in a comfort zone there needs to be a shake up at the club and it looks as if warnock is the man that's going to do it

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:26 pm

CITY are still reducing their overheads and now it's the main Accademy being virtually stripped with 10 Players going in January, l'm hearing we have been doing a total over haul of all the Accademy, with coaches and scouts being laid of, some say we might not have a DVP team soon?

Nicholson was highly rated and was doing an excellent job and it's a shock to all the coaches he has gone?

Regarding WARNOCK who is one of my favourite managers, he is here for a quick fix, keep us up.

WARNOCK has no interest in the Accademy, one visit since he's been here as to Warnock his priority is get success with our first team.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:34 pm

Cardiff City have announced a shake-up of their age-grade set-up after parting company with highly-rated development team manager Kevin Nicholson.

The club revealed the news in a statement on Tuesday morning, with young Bluebirds to come more closely under the watch of Neil Warnock and his senior team.

At the age of 30 Nicholson became the youngest English coach to obtain the UEFA Pro Licence and previously combined his role as under-23 Cardiff chief by working team next to Russell Slade and Scott Young with the first team.

However, Cardiff's hierarchy have been disappointed by the small number of home-grown Bluebirds who have made the step up to first team football in recent times and are implementing a quality over quantity mantra moving forward.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:37 pm

Forever Blue wrote:CITY are still reducing their overheads and now it's the main Accademy being virtually stripped with 10 Players going in January, l'm hearing we have been doing a total over haul of all the Accademy, with coaches and scouts being laid of, some say we might not have a DVP team soon?

Nicholson was highly rated and was doing an excellent job and it's a shock to all the coaches he has gone?

He may have been excellent in his role but lets be honest, our youth set up is a total shambles and by all accounts, coaches and scouts were being paid a tidy pay check for doing sweet F-ALL ... a shake up is needed, we need to focus on pushing youth into the first team to see if we can find some hidden gems, that's how we used to do it before it went pol pot.

Other teams set ups are much better than ours, so lets get behind Neil and what he's focusing on .. Up the city :bluescarf:

Can you imagine the convo's Neil has with VT, he wouldn't be shy to say what he thinks .. "Vinny T - The youth set up is shit, I'm changing it" :laughing5:

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:39 pm

Wolfpac wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:CITY are still reducing their overheads and now it's the main Accademy being virtually stripped with 10 Players going in January, l'm hearing we have been doing a total over haul of all the Accademy, with coaches and scouts being laid of, some say we might not have a DVP team soon?

He may have been excellent in his role but lets be honest, our youth set up is a total shambles and by all accounts, coaches and scouts were being paid a tidy pay check for doing sweet F-ALL ... a shake up is needed, we need to focus on pushing youth into the first team to see if we can find some hidden gems, that's how we used to do it before it went pol pot.

Other teams set ups are much better than ours, so lets get behind Neil and what he's focusing on .. Up the city :bluescarf:

Can you imagine the convo's Neil has with VT, he wouldn't be shy to say what he thinks .. "Vinny T - The youth set up is shit, I'm changing it" :laughing5:

I agree they were and in 7 years we have produced virtually nothing.

For now it's survival in the Championship and WARNOCK is the man to do it :thumbright: :bluebird:

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:46 pm

Our youth/development set up has been a major disappointment for many years.

Nobody breaking into the 1st team for over 5 years is piss poor...22 year olds still on our books without a single 1st team appearance is simply not cost effective....on the face of it our development programme is offering no value for money and I'm surprised nothing was done about it sooner!!!!

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:52 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Our youth/development set up has been a major disappointment for many years.

Nobody breaking into the 1st team for over 5 years is piss poor...22 year olds still on our books without a single 1st team appearance is simply not cost effective....on the face of it our development programme is offering no value for money and I'm surprised nothing was done about it sooner!!!!

Spot on, the big question,why has all this been left to rot for 7 years?

Our kids are supposed to be the future and it's been a total farce down there, I said this three years ago and the usual suspects shot me down.

Be very interesting to see are plans now?

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:56 pm

I have never understood what aspect of Kevin Nicholson is considered highly rated, apart from he's the youngest english coach to get a certain license or whatever.

For me, the job of a youth coach/manager is to produce players who become a success within the first team at a fairly young age (ideally under 21..)

This didn't happen, so he shouldn't be rated highly.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:02 pm

ashi83 wrote:I have never understood what aspect of Kevin Nicholson is considered highly rated, apart from he's the youngest english coach to get a certain license or whatever.

For me, the job of a youth coach/manager is to produce players who become a success within the first team at a fairly young age (ideally under 21..)

This didn't happen, so he shouldn't be rated highly.

This is what CARDIFF CITY said about him on their site

Kevin Nicholson

U23s Manager

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:10 pm

Been at 3 other clubs, no talent coming through our system says it all in this day and age.

If they are good enough at 16 they are good enough to get into the first 18.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:11 pm

FOR ME THIS SEASON IS ABOUT NEIL WARNOCK KEEPING US UP IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP :thumbright: :bluebird:

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:43 pm

In the ten years up to 2010 the youth side produced 4 players who went onto be members of a side that got to the semis of the Euros- Gunter, Collins, Ledley and Ramsey- plus Earnie, Cameron Jerome and Adam Matthews. And I may have missed one or two others.

Since 2010? Enough said.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:44 pm

JJ1927 wrote:In the ten years up to 2010 the youth side produced 4 players who went onto be members of a side that got to the semis of the Euros- Gunter, Collins, Ledley and Ramsey- plus Earnie, Cameron Jerome and Adam Matthews. And I may have missed one or two others.

Since 2010? Enough said.

John ,Harris,Ralls have come through our development

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Warnock has most definitely taken an interest in the Academy, his pet hate being "warwick university" coaches

He may be undertaking a quick fix this season, but he has discussed the "long term project" @ CCFC with Dalman/Choo, don't rule out seeing Mr Warnock here in whatever capacity for a good for years ;) ;)

Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:39 pm

wez1927 wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:In the ten years up to 2010 the youth side produced 4 players who went onto be members of a side that got to the semis of the Euros- Gunter, Collins, Ledley and Ramsey- plus Earnie, Cameron Jerome and Adam Matthews. And I may have missed one or two others.

Since 2010? Enough said.

Harris and a Ralls came through the Wycombe and Aldershot academy's we bought them when they were 18 and 17 they didn't come through our schoolboy system.

I think if I am right Harris cost over £150,000 and Ralls was recommended to us by a City fan from down South who had seen him playing under 18 football.

As for Declan John his career has been completely mismanaged by City...20+ appearances in the Premier league as a 18 year old earning some positive reviews to being released 3 years later having played only about another 10 games.just about somes up our development system !!!

Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:50 pm

Never rated Declan John, just don't see what some City fans see but I agree his career as a whole has been of poor standard and City's Youth team are to blame for this.

Whatever happened to Aaron Wildig, he looked a decent prospect then we released him, didn't he end up playing for Morcambe ?

Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:54 pm

And even if Ralls, Harris and John did all came through the system that's a pretty poor return in seven years. They are Ok but none of them are in the same class as Ramsey, Ledley, Collins etc. We probably didn't realise at the time what a golden period this was. What a side we would have had if we had been able to hang on to them all at the same time.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:10 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Since 2010? Enough said.

Harris and a Ralls came through the Wycombe and Aldershot academy's we bought them when they were 18 and 17 they didn't come through our schoolboy system.

I think if I am right Harris cost over £150,000 and Ralls was recommended to us by a City fan from down South who had seen him playing under 18 football.

As for Declan John his career has been completely mismanaged by City...20+ appearances in the Premier league as a 18 year old earning some positive reviews to being released 3 years later having played only about another 10 games.just about somes up our development system !!!

All Spot on :thumbright:

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:14 pm

JJ1927 wrote:And even if Ralls, Harris and John did all came through the system that's a pretty poor return in seven years. They are Ok but none of them are in the same class as Ramsey, Ledley, Collins etc. We probably didn't realise at the time what a golden period this was. What a side we would have had if we had been able to hang on to them all at the same time.

Only Declan has, So it's a terrible return for 7 years, terrible management from above.

I love seeing local talent coming through as well.

Last time we had local talent coming through Was Ramsey, Gunter, Ledley etc :thumbright: :bluebird:

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:20 pm

Think the only decent youngster the club has produced in recent times is the lad at Man U, who was released by us and did well at Cewnty. Regan Poole. Think this pretty much sums up our youth set up. The club is right to overhaul it.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:22 pm

The academy went down hill with regards to coaching and approach after Matthew Crocker left . The style at that time was to encourage the boys to express themselves and not be scared to do so They seemed to concentrate more on indicate skill levels rather than style of play From this system Ledley, Ramsey, Gunter , Mathews, Wildig came out of the system . I think Crocker was all about finding the one or two stars out of many
After Crocker left ( My boy was part of the Crocker time and post period ) the coaching seemed to be more about making team players and forgetting about skill levels . My son entered the academy as an attacking midfielder scoring over 50 goals a season in regional football . The new set up saw him as a centre back He was once played up front due to injuries for the academy and scored 6 against WBA and never played up front again . I asked why and the answer is he is a centre back .
Declan John was a great player as a youngster but has has all the skill and confidence coached out of him
I believe Crocker went from city to USA and then to Southampton academy

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:42 pm

Ray Bishop wrote:Think the only decent youngster the club has produced in recent times is the lad at Man U, who was released by us and did well at Cewnty. Regan Poole. Think this pretty much sums up our youth set up. The club is right to overhaul it.

It's there doing after 7 years, are they bringing in new?
Are they putting money in to the Accademy?

Yes it's needs overhauling, but it also needs investing in?

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:48 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Ray Bishop wrote:Think the only decent youngster the club has produced in recent times is the lad at Man U, who was released by us and did well at Cewnty. Regan Poole. Think this pretty much sums up our youth set up. The club is right to overhaul it.

Thought Regan left the academy by his own choice and was not released

Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:45 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Since 2010? Enough said.

We bought Harris from Wycombe when he was 18 I seem to remember so wrong again?

Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:50 pm

Regarding WARNOCK who is one of my favourite managers, he is here for a quick fix, keep us up.

WARNOCK has no interest in the Accademy, one visit since he's been here as to Warnock his priority is get success with our first team.

Was he really? When did our academy last produce a first team player.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:57 pm

Milkybarkid wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Thought Regan left the academy by his own choice and was not released

They told Regan he was to small to make it, a fact.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:31 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Since 2010? Enough said.

How old is he now? Haven't we developed him in the dvp ? Think about it and Ralls and John hmmmm so not wrong just c8z we didn't have them as a school boy doesn't mean we haven't developed them ffs

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:35 pm

wez1927 wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Since 2010? Enough said.

How old is he now? Haven't we developed him in the dvp ? Think about it and Ralls and John hmmmm so not wrong just c8z we didn't have them as a school boy doesn't mean we haven't developed them ffs

Joe Ralls was 15 when we signed him