Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Are Cardiff right to sell this player in January?

Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:09 am

Are Cardiff right to sell this player in January?

Tuesday 6th December 2016

By Will Pritchard

Cardiff City defender Bruno Ecuele-Manga is set to depart the club in the January window but are they right to offload him?

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock announced earlier in the week that he would look to offload high-earning defender Bruno Manga in January to raise funds for new signings.

The Bluebirds’ boss says he was willing to offload the Gabon defender, saying last week “I’m looking to get him away”.

The Gabon international has found himself out of the first-team picture at Cardiff and the once treasured defender is set to be a real surprise departure.

Are Cardiff right to let Manga go?

Manga is regarded as one of the best Championship defenders when at his best, so considering Cardiff’s failure to keep a clean sheet, maybe he should be given another chance.

The problem is that he is a ball-playing, technical Defender who likes to play out and take risks. Due to these qualities and weaknesses, Bruno is prone to a mistake which, given Cardiff’s current league situation, he is perhaps too much of a risk in the starting XI.

It’s also important to remember his contract is up this summer, and Cardiff must get any value out of him before he leaves.

It seems the 29-year-old will not be renewing his contract by the end of the season, neither will Cardiff look to give him a run in the team as he still contains some value. Which can be reinvested in areas where it’s needed most. For this reason, Cardiff and Warnock may have made the best of an awkward situation.

Final Word

Despite all his mistakes, Manga can be a quality defender, and on his day is one of the finest defenders in the championship.

The problem is Cardiff have an influx of defenders due to the signing and great form of Sol Bamba who is regarded as a hard-tackling, strong, reliable defender, which are completely different to Manga’s skillset. Cardiff show an apparent need for a striker to help Rickie Lambert with the gruelling 46-game Championship season.

Also, not forgetting Manga is set to depart for the African Cup of Nations shortly after the turn of the year.

The club and Warnock have made the right decision to make him available to clubs before the start of the window, because it massively increases the chances of Manga being sold at a price that can influence Warnock’s signings, whoever they may be.

Re: Are Cardiff right to sell this player in January?

Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:39 am

There's more to this than meets the eye. Manga has apparently had off-field 'issues' on a personal level

City (specifically Neil Warnock) are right to sell him whilst he has even a token value, given that his time in the First Team appears to be limited going forward and his forthcoming sojourn to the Africa Nations Cup isn't too timely either; although I don't attach any blame to him on that one, as anyone should rightly represent their country given the opportunity

I like Manga the player but City's priorities lie in other areas on the pitch and any monies raised/wages saved from his sale would go a long way to bringing in people of the quality required to actually do the job they are brought in to do! :thumbup:

Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:58 am

I think Bruno is a top defender but it's quite obvious we need to let players go to be able to free up funds to strengthen in other areas. In term of centre backs I think we've got enough strength in depth to make the transfer happen and bring in some attacking options. I know our goals against record hasn't been great but I'm sure Warnock can fix it and make us more of a threat going forward.

It's a sacrifice worth taking imo, I'm excited and interested in the transfer window for the first time in ages.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:01 am

Sven wrote:There's more to this than meets the eye. Manga has apparently had off-field 'issues' on a personal level

City (specifically Neil Warnock) are right to sell him whilst he has even a token value, given that his time in the First Team appears to be limited going forward and his forthcoming sojourn to the Africa Nations Cup isn't too timely either; although I don't attach any blame to him on that one, as anyone should rightly represent their country given the opportunity

I like Manga the player but City's priorities lie in other areas on the pitch and any monies raised/wages saved from his sale would go a long way to bringing in people of the quality required to actually do the job they are brought in to do! :thumbup:

Chris,

Your right he has and its been going on for over a year.

The prob is City still wanted £millions and with his high wages,no one would pay it,now City have had to yet again lose money and have dropped the fee for him by half.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:38 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:There's more to this than meets the eye. Manga has apparently had off-field 'issues' on a personal level

Chris,

Your right he has and its been going on for over a year.

The prob is City still wanted £millions and with his high wages,no one would pay it,now City have had to yet again lose money and have dropped the fee for him by half.

Unusual for City to mess up on transfer matters, Annis. NOT! LOL :laughing6:

Sadly, Manga's time in Cardiff is best ended and even just the wages saved would be a big help. Any fee on top would be a bonus in my mind, as City are no longer in a position to dictate (if they ever were) and other clubs know that

I wish him (Mang) al the best wherever he ends up next, though. A classy defender on his day :ayatollah:

Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:13 am

Yep get rid, always rated him but he downed tools at Burton when we needed him most. For whatever reason not worked out, but I will remember him for giving up at Burton. Shocking attitude.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:14 am

Sven wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Chris,

Your right he has and its been going on for over a year.m

Classy on his day but not at the races for me. :wave:

Unusual for City to mess up on transfer matters, Annis. NOT! LOL :laughing6:

Sadly, Manga's time in Cardiff is best ended and even just the wages saved would be a big help. Any fee on top would be a bonus in my mind, as City are no longer in a position to dictate (if they ever were) and other clubs know that

I wish him (Mang) al the best wherever he ends up next, though. A classy defender on his day :ayatollah: