Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Peter Whittingham / Sort it out Now? '

Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:53 pm

' Peter Whittingham / Sort it out Now? '

Why Cardiff must extend Whittingham’s contract immediately

By Jordon Jones

Monday 5th December 2016

Peter Whittingham’s contract expires at the end of the season, but why hasn’t the Cardiff City stalwart been offered a new deal?

Peter Whittingham has been reinstalled as a key player for Cardiff City under Neil Warnock, returning to his former self, where he is not only assisting with goals, but also scoring. He is the team’s top scorer so far this season as well as topping the assist charts.

However, his contract hasn’t been extended yet, despite seeing his team-mates Matthew Connolly and Anthony Pilkington receive new deals in recent months.

Next year will see Cardiff dedicate a testimonial match to Kevin McNaughton, which is much deserved but in terms of commitment and quality, Whittingham more than matches him – He’s never even had an extended run out of the side.

He could be summed up as ‘Mr Cardiff’ due to his years of service here, when in reality he has had plenty of opportunities to leave and prolong his career in the Premier League.

Peter Whittingham has said himself “why would I leave?” and given the amount of time he has been at the club, he deserves the respect of having his future secured.

There are little doubts that many Championship teams would still chase Whittingham’s signature if he becomes a free agent at the end of the season an it would cause uproar in the fan-base if he was to depart.

With no ambitions of becoming a manager, it is also important that Whittingham, if encouraged by the idea, goes into coaching to help nurture the next generation of Cardiff City talent.

We have already seen how Joe Ralls is trying to emulate Whittingham in the way his game is and it would be a shame to see his incredible technical ability not passed on when he retires from the game.

Future aside, Cardiff must now look to extend Peter Whittingham’s current deal to secure the legend’s stay at the club and to give supporters the news they are desperate to hear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Peter Whittingham / Sort it out Now? '

Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:55 pm

My opinion.

Whitts is on approx £20,000 plus a week.

If I was City I would not want to offer more than £10,000, Whitts is at the end of his career,We've seen the best of him.

Not worth more than £10,000 in Championship.

Opinions :thumbright:

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:13 pm

agree, not worth 20k a week. cant be to loyal just cos hes a club legend. which he is in his own right.
offer what warnock thinks hes worth. if he doesnt accept then let him move on

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:14 pm

Double G wrote:agree, not worth 20k a week. cant be to loyal just cos hes a club legend. which he is in his own right.

Spot on Gareth :thumbright: :bluebird:

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:16 pm

Double G wrote:agree, not worth 20k a week. cant be to loyal just cos hes a club legend. which he is in his own right.
totally agree we need to find the next whitts now

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:32 pm

I admit to being a Whitts fan and think he gets a raw deal from a lot of supporters.

However, whilst I think we should show some loyalty I doubt even Whitts is expecting to get another contract at £20k per week. Having said that, even this season he is our top scorer and top of assists so on performance he definitely deserves a decent contract.

As a club we've never been that good at making use of top quality ex players as coaches so we should at least try to get Whitts in the staff, coaching youngsters particularly on the technique side of things :thumbright:

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:45 pm

Offer whitts whatever it takes to keep him here he shown loyalty so the club should show some as well he still the best player at the club end of his career or not

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:49 pm

I am a Whitts fan, but he is not an asset we must protect anymore. Three years ago we needed to be prudent and ensure we didn't lose the asset for F.A. He is 32 now and obviously has peaked. We need to find the next Whitts whilst he is here, so I would give him another two years on a lowish salary. If he wants to leave he can, but i doubt he will.

A million pounds a year to play second tier football is insane really.

We don't know whats been agreed behind closed doors probably been done already.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:56 pm

Who is Jordon Jones?

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:04 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Feck me we are all agreeing! I love witts and his class will be missed when he's gone, he does need to be offered a contract as he still contributes greatly but offering players contracts because they have been great servants is nonesense. They have been well paid throughout their career. Am sure this will be sorted. :thumbup:

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:05 pm

Since1962 wrote:Who is Jordon Jones?

Quite!

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:35 pm

Always been a big fan of Whitts but he is a shadow of the player he was 4/5 seasons ago.

He is our top scorer because he takes the penalties and is only top of the assists because he takes all free kicks and corners.

Time to let him go with our thanks for everything he has done in the past.

We should be concentrating on finding the next Whittingham...because we certainly need one

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:43 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Always been a big fan of Whitts but he is a shadow of the player he was 4/5 seasons ago.

He is our top scorer because he takes the penalties and is only top of the assists because he takes all free kicks and corners.

Time to let him go with our thanks for everything he has done in the past.

We should be concentrating on finding the next Whittingham...because we certainly need one

Agree

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:56 pm

For me he has been a luxury player. A person who could produce that piece of quality when needed.

Personally I don't think he has lost much. In fact I would say he is very much the same player as he was when he first came to us. The difference is he is playing in a team no where near as good as when he first arrived. Put him in a side with decent forwards and there would be no talk about how he has lost it.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:04 pm

Huge whitts fan, legend of the club but agree 20k a week is to much but make him an offer of 10/12k dont just let him go

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:05 pm

wez1927 wrote:

aisle 27 between the soups and the corned beef.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:14 pm

all the 10s of millions this club has paid out on players that contributed nothing or next to nothing , yet this thread is full of lets pay a legend who actually plays every week less than lex or emyr or jaz.

i just dont get it.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:18 am

He rightly boasts the title 'Cardiff City club legend', but could Whitts depart at the end of the season?

By Dominic Booth

Tuesday 6th December 2016

He has played 435 times for Cardiff City, scoring 94 goals and, even at the age of 32, remains an integral part of the Bluebirds' side but Peter Whittingham's contract expires in the summer.

With Neil Warnock looking to shake up his squad in January, many have assumed Whittingham — Cardiff's longest serving player by a distance — will be one of the players to stay put.

The likes of Craig Noone, Lex Immers and Emyr Huws have been rumoured to leave, but it would surely prove detrimental to the Bluebirds' midfield if Whittingham's contract were allowed to run down.

Whittingham, who has hit crucial strikes for the Bluebirds at home to Bristol City and Sheffield Wednesday this season, has contributed to more goals than any other Cardiff player this season (three goals and three assists) and his set pieces are a vital attacking weapon.

He has scored in every season since arriving in South Wales from Aston Villa in January 2007, enjoying a vintage campaign in 2011/12 with 13 goals from midfield en route to the play-offs.

Yet as he approaches a decade in the Welsh capital, could the 32-year-old be allowed to leave?

Cardiff paid Villa £350,000 for Nuneaton-born Whittingham when they signed him and he most recently signed a contract extension in July 2014 on a reported £20,000-per-week.

Whether Warnock and the Bluebirds hierarchy would be willing to commit that kind of outlay on a player in the twilight of his career remains to be seen. But, even if he stays or goes, Whittingham's status as a Cardiff City legend is secure. The club will have a tough decision on their hands deciding whether to offer a new deal to their midfield linchpin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:59 am

Whitts is settled in the area and has proved himself many times over the years scoring some of the most brilliant goals one could expect to see!

If the club are doing things right he should get another contract and with him it wouldn't be about the money. When he does retire he should either take up coaching within the club or be given an ambassadorial role within the club.

There certainly will not be many clubs who would still not take him now.

Clubs will be lining up to take him.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:34 am

dogfound wrote:all the 10s of millions this club has paid out on players that contributed nothing or next to nothing , yet this thread is full of lets pay a legend who actually plays every week less than lex or emyr or jaz.

i just dont get it.

Nor me.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:28 pm

dogfound wrote:all the 10s of millions this club has paid out on players that contributed nothing or next to nothing , yet this thread is full of lets pay a legend who actually plays every week less than lex or emyr or jaz.

i just dont get it.

Market forces.

When you think £5K a week is £250,000 a year plus match, win and goal bonus's....Its insane

I doubt we have many fans on £5K a month.

A season or two at another club away from your family in a flat or hotel maybe isn't worth the extra half a million over two seasons when you are already a (Multi) millionaire.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:29 pm

Well done Tonteg, Trooblue and slicker for not wrecking this "believer" thread :thumbup: ;)

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:16 pm

Man of Harlech wrote:

i just dont get it.

Nor me.

That's what I think many don't understand. You can't take a nailed on starter and player as good as whitts and pay him less than players who arnt even in the match day squad. It just doesn't work like that.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:46 pm

Might it be that it suits player and club not to sort contract out now.

As far as the club are concerned they may want to see what other factors are in place for next season (division, competition for places, squad after january etc) and from PW point of view might he want to know whether (a) He will be a backup Premiership Player (b) First Team Championship Player or, dare I say it, (c) just signed a contract restricting him to Div 1 football.

If I were PW I would not want (a) or (c) so it might be preferable for him to wait as well.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:49 pm

The fact we might be a League 1 team also has to be considered. I don't think we will be relegated but if we gave PW a £10kpw contract now it might seem reckless come a May relegation. The club are doing the right thing and keeping it's options open.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:00 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Well done Tonteg, Trooblue and slicker for not wrecking this "believer" thread :thumbup: ;)

I for one wouldn't do that Llan, but I have been reading it with interest :thumbup:

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:53 pm

llan bluebird wrote:

i just dont get it.

Market forces.

When you think £5K a week is £250,000 a year plus match, win and goal bonus's....Its insane

I doubt we have many fans on £5K a month.

A season or two at another club away from your family in a flat or hotel maybe isn't worth the extra half a million over two seasons when you are already a (Multi) millionaire.

we are not talking about fans here..we are talking ,well you lot are,about non contributors earming more than cant get on the bench players. bonkers
market forces.?

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:56 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Man of Harlech wrote:

i just dont get it.

Nor me.

That's what I think many don't understand. You can't take a nailed on starter and player as good as whitts and pay him less than players who arnt even in the match day squad. It just doesn't work like that.

id be saying exactly the same if it were ralls or peltier

the lets pay the 1st team less than the reserve team thread

Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:04 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:Might it be that it suits player and club not to sort contract out now.

As far as the club are concerned they may want to see what other factors are in place for next season (division, competition for places, squad after january etc) and from PW point of view might he want to know whether (a) He will be a backup Premiership Player (b) First Team Championship Player or, dare I say it, (c) just signed a contract restricting him to Div 1 football.

If I were PW I would not want (a) or (c) so it might be preferable for him to wait as well.

i think {a} is out of the question, but non of those options would prevent him from moving,and no player signs a contract knowing for sure what happens during that contract, relegation,promotion,new regime{more money at club to improve squad or less money} new manager, different tactics