Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

EX CITY STRIKER APOLOGISES & CLUB REFUNDS FANS MONEY

Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:24 pm

' EX CITY STRIKER APOLOGISES & CLUB REFUNDS FANS MONEY '

Former Cardiff City striker apologises and club refund supporters after fight with his own teammate

He has issued a joint statement with fellow striker Jermaine Beckford after the pair were sent off at Hillsborough

BY DOMINIC BOOTH

Monday 5th Dec 2016

Former Cardiff City striker Eoin Doyle and Preston North End teammate Jermaine Beckford have apologised 'wholeheartedly' after a fight erupted between the pair in a 2-1 defeat at Sheffield Wednesday.

Doyle capped an eventful cameo , coming on in the 81st minute, scoring a goal to drag Preston back into the game and then seeing red after fighting Beckford.

Their actions drew strong criticism from Preston boss Simon Grayson, who said after the game: "You expect it in the playground between four or five-year-olds, but not from two professionals who've been in the game a long time. It's an embarrassment."

Both players will be handed bans by the Football Association and Preston have taken the decision to refund supporters who travelled to Hillsborough on Saturday, as well as fining both players.

The duo have now released a joint statement on the club website , which read:

"We apologise wholeheartedly for our actions at Hillsborough. our behaviour was not acceptable in any walk of life, let alone on a football pitch.

"We let down the management, our team mates and most importantly the supporters who had spent a lot of money to support the team.

"We accept the punishment given to us by the club and the FA and fully support the club's decision to refund the ticket costs to supporters.

"We have apologised to the manager, the staff and our team mates and hope that the supporters accept our total remorse for the incident.

"It is our intention to now put this behind us and to give our all for the benefit of Preston North End going forward."

After confirming the refund to supporters, Grayson added: "The fans who travelled to Sheffield Wednesday were let down by the actions of Jermaine Beckford and Eoin Doyle and it is only right that the fines imposed on the players are used to refund the cost of the ticket money for the fixture.

“It has been made very clear to the players and the squad as a whole that this behaviour is not acceptable by any employee of Preston North End and a swift and strong response was important, however, it has now been dealt with and the matter is closed."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: EX CITY STRIKER APOLOGISES & CLUB REFUNDS FANS MONEY

Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:41 pm

Yes I recall saying the same about David Marshall when he lash out at Rotherham. I got called by one or two on here who were allow to return.

My suggestion does not make me look so stupid now does it.