Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' BIG SHOCK FOR CHRIS COLEMAN ' "NOT GOOD "

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:34 am

Wales boss Chris Coleman rocked as FAW axe close ally and youth coach Geraint Williams :shock: :shock:

Youth coach and Under-21s manager Geraint Williams has gone :shock:

BY CHRIS WATHAN

Monday 5th December 2016

SPORT

Chris Coleman is unlikely to have given his blessing to the move

Wales boss Chris Coleman has been rocked by the loss of one of his close allies in the Wales set-up. :shock:

Football Association of Wales bosses have told age-grade chief Geraint Williams he will not have his contract renewed.

And the man who oversees the sides from Under-17 to Under-21 has left his post – just weeks after one of his players became headline news when Under-19 star Ben Woodburn became Liverpool’s youngest goalscorer.

In a further blow, Williams’ highly-rated assistant David Hughes is also set to take up a post as Aston Villa’s Under-18s boss.

Senior boss Coleman was involved in the appointment of Williams in July 2012 and is known to have a strong relationship with the former 13-cap midfielder.

He has promoted several players from Williams’ squad into the senior set-up – including the likes of Euro 2016 heroes Ben Davies, Jonny Williams, George Williams and Danny Ward.

It is thought Williams’ failure to qualify for final tournaments with any of his three sides in his four-year spell since succeeding Brian Flynn – seeing the FAW miss out on one of their aims of their ongoing strategic plans – has counted against the 54-year-old.

Williams said he was "disappointed" but added: "I am a proud Welshman and it has been a total pleasure to work for my country."

"In my contract, there was a specific target of getting the under-21s qualified. If I did not get that done, then there was an opportunity for change.

"It has been fantastic leading from the front, but also with the connection there has been between Chris Coleman and Osian Roberts.

"If the international committee feel it is time for a change I understand that."

The Under-21s have suffered some disappointing results – including losing to San Marino in 2013 and drawing with Luxembourg last year – though there had been encouragement from the players coming through regardless.

The Under-19s recently narrowly failed to qualify for the Elite Round of the European Championships, despite beating rivals England in Bangor last month in a side containing several players – such as Woodburn and Everton’s Nathan Broadhead – tipped for a bright future with the full national team.

The decision was made by the FAW’s international committee, who will have been charged with deciding on Williams’ future.

Yet it is unlikely that the decision has the blessing of Coleman, who will now have to strike up a new relationship for the remaining 18 months of his deal.

The manager, who led Wales to the quarter-finals of this summer’s Euros, has stated he will not stay on in the national job beyond his current contract which expires after the current World Cup campaign.

:shock: ' The FAW statement ' :shock:

The Football Association of Wales (FAW) can confirm that the Association will not be renewing the contract of Intermediate Manager Geraint Williams.

The Association would like to thank Geraint for his excellent overall contribution during the past four and a half years.

During the last campaign, the Wales Under-21 squad narrowly missed out on qualifying for the UEFA European Championship Finals 2017. More recently, the Under-19 squad were pipped at the post in their attempt to qualify for the Elite Round of the Euro Under-19 tournament.

Geraint Williams said: “It has been a privilege to work for my country over the past four and a half years. Everyone has played their part on and off the field. I take great delight in our work and the development of all the Intermediate squads.

“I would also like to thank all the parents and adults at all the different age levels for their support.

But most of all I would like to thank the proud, passionate young men who played for their country.”

Meanwhile, the Association can also confirm that the Intermediate Assistant Coach David Hughes has also left

his role at the FAW to join the Academy setup at Championship club Aston Villa.

The FAW would like to thank both Geraint and David and wish them all the best for the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' BIG SHOCK FOR CHRIS COLEMAN ' "NOT GOOD "

Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:51 pm

His statement absolutely sums up Geraint 'George' Williams, a top bloke, his comment is so dignified. Old Prince Of Wales in Treorchy regular, would have had at least 30 caps if it wasn't for his bust up with Yorath. I think the FAW have made a big mistake personally.

Re: ' BIG SHOCK FOR CHRIS COLEMAN ' "NOT GOOD "

Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:59 pm

Met him on a flight to Nice during the Euros, tidy bloke sad to see him go.