Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Is Warnock getting a free pass?

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:07 pm

IS NEIL WARNOCK GETTING A FREE PASS?

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2016/11/2 ... free-pass/

As supporters we have a penchant to back anyone with a name or reputation while blaming the ones that don't.
If we had Slade or Trollope at the helm for these last 4 games and played in exactly the same way, people would be slating them still.

Warnock has been around for donkeys years and due to his volatile personality- he has become well known, this seems to be enough for our fans to shield blame from him and direct it elsewhere.
I can't help but feel he is getting a free pass at the moment.

We have had players in the past who have come in with "a name" and have put in some awful shifts, yet we time and time again find a way to excuse them and blame their shortcomings on those around them.

The honeymoon period is most certainly over and we need to start getting results as we sit 23rd in the table.

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2016/11/2 ... free-pass/ :bluebird: :bluebird:

Re: Is Warnock getting a free pass?

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:19 pm

look at the teams we have been playing and the form they have been in, if you think we are giving warnock a free pass i think u need to try and learn a bit more about football, not even jesus christ could have got us through the last few games without picking up losses, plus its trollopes side not warnocks that is playing so poorly give warnock a chance to bring a few of his own players in and lets see where we go then

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Reza wrote:look at the teams we have been playing and the form they have been in, if you think we are giving warnock a free pass i think u need to try and learn a bit more about football, not even jesus christ could have got us through the last few games without picking up losses, plus its trollopes side not warnocks that is playing so poorly give warnock a chance to bring a few of his own players in and lets see where we go then

Would that logic be applied the same way if it were someone else in charge with a lesser name is my point? And I think we both know the answer would be no. The results would be an excuse to blame regardless of opposition, I have seen it time and time again for years on end.

Although saying that, Huddersfield lost at home to Wigan last night, Newcastle lost at home to Blackburn on Saturday, Villa were bottom half and Wigan were below us, yet we scraped 3 points from 12. Again I think names are getting in the way here, this time team names. They are all in the championship because they are not good enough for the higher level. They are all in our league on merit, we should be competing with these teams. Warnock has brought in Bamba, Hoilett and Chamakh all who will be on decent money and has inherited excellent players like Whitts and Lambert. We should be doing better than what we are.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:12 pm

EalingBluebird wrote:As supporters we have a penchant to back anyone with a name or reputation while blaming the ones that don't. If we had Slade or Trollope at the helm for these last 4 games and played in exactly the same way, people would be slating them still. Warnock has been around for donkeys years and due to his volatile personality- he has become well known, this seems to be enough for our fans to shield blame from him and direct it elsewhere. I can't help but feel he is getting a free pass at the moment. We have had players in the past who have come in with "a name" and have put in some awful shifts, yet we time and time again find a way to excuse them and blame their shortcomings on those around them. The honeymoon period is most certainly over and we need to start getting results as we sit 23rd in the table.
There's a big difference though slade and trolls had a lot more time to assess the team and see where we're lacking and our strengths ect.Also had the window to bring in they're own players, where as warnock came into a team void of confidence and a very unbalanced one to say the least plus rock bottom of the table with only win and could only bring in free transfers(hoilett and bamba great additions ) :thumbup: so i just can't see how you can compare them at all?

Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:13 pm

Reza wrote:look at the teams we have been playing and the form they have been in, if you think we are giving warnock a free pass i think u need to try and learn a bit more about football, not even jesus christ could have got us through the last few games without picking up losses, plus its trollopes side not warnocks that is playing so poorly give warnock a chance to bring a few of his own players in and lets see where we go then
good post :thumbup:

Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:35 pm

EalingBluebird wrote:As supporters we have a penchant to back anyone with a name or reputation while blaming the ones that don't. If we had Slade or Trollope at the helm for these last 4 games and played in exactly the same way, people would be slating them still. Warnock has been around for donkeys years and due to his volatile personality- he has become well known, this seems to be enough for our fans to shield blame from him and direct it elsewhere. I can't help but feel he is getting a free pass at the moment. We have had players in the past who have come in with "a name" and have put in some awful shifts, yet we time and time again find a way to excuse them and blame their shortcomings on those around them. The honeymoon period is most certainly over and we need to start getting results as we sit 23rd in the table.

I see your point and maybe there is some truth in it.

But it cannot be denied that the performances (if not results) are better under NW and that's why he should be given a 'free pass' while he works on the team and moulds one in his image. Slade got a little time and did turn things around after the OGS debacle even if eventually fans did turn on him.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:45 pm

also we r giving other sides a game and scoring goals

Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:04 pm

I think it's a bit early to judge him, he needs more time and the opportunity to bring in his own players before he can be fairly judged. He inherited a poor squad in my opinion, and I think there are plenty of managers out there who would struggle to impress with this group of players. I can understand why the question has been asked, we are in the same position as we were when he arrived, and have recently lost to a struggling Wigan side, and scraped past a Huddersfield team currently on a poor run with one win in seven. Never expected us to get anything from the Villa and Newcastle games. Unfortunately, we have to accept that we are not a very good side at the minute, but hopefully Warnock will be able to bring in the players that can help us stay in this league for another season, and possibly progress from there.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:16 pm

I think our current predicament outlines the absolute mess previous managers made of our squad.

Of course you can also blame the board but all managers have been allowed to bring in players even when under pressure from the board to reduce the wage bill.

How so many managers can come in and strip out all flair, pace and creativity is beyond me.

Warnock recognises that but sadly can't do too much until January

Realistically I think our squad is short of 3 or 4 players to compete at the top part of the table - pace and flair in midfield and two decent strikers.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:47 pm

This isn't warnocks team ,I think our fortunes will change in January

Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:18 pm

bit silly really to cut it down to the last 4 games when two of those games were away to newcastle and villa, an unbeaten in 7 and unbeaten at home villa.even in your last 4 we did actually beat the 3rd placed team .

3pts away from forest,newcastle and villa
7pts at home from 5th placed bristol city, 3rd placed huddersfield and 7th but equal on points with the side in 5th shef weds.

personally id take that even if the table was turned on its head and we were chassing play offs.
the Wigan result? well it was poor, but he has managed 10pts from 7 games with an inherited squad that had only managed 8pts from 11 under trollope .
free pass your having a laugh

Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:36 pm

EalingBluebird wrote:IS NEIL WARNOCK GETTING A FREE PASS?

As supporters we have a penchant to back anyone with a name or reputation while blaming the ones that don't.
If we had Slade or Trollope at the helm for these last 4 games and played in exactly the same way, people would be slating them still.

Warnock has been around for donkeys years and due to his volatile personality- he has become well known, this seems to be enough for our fans to shield blame from him and direct it elsewhere.

We have had players in the past who have come in with "a name" and have put in some awful shifts, yet we time and time again find a way to excuse them and blame their shortcomings on those around them.

The honeymoon period is most certainly over and we need to start getting results as we sit 23rd in the table.

just a reminder of how bad things were,in his last 18days in charge Trollope lost to preston who had only 1win out of 6. then lost at home to leeds who had won 2 out of 7, beat bottom club rotherham, then managed to lose to 1 win in 9 games derby at home before playing 2 wins in 10 burton albion and getting another loss.
not sure how much improvement was required by some but i think its been massive,lots of work still to do but without NW i think the gap might already be to big.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:09 pm

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2016/11/2 ... free-pass/ :bluebird:

I honestly believe Neil Warnock will get us to midd table by May.
Warnock needs time and is not a miracle man.
Warnock also needs to backed by Tan and has already stated nothing will really change till January.
Warnock has also said he has identified who he needs.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:37 pm

dogfound wrote:

just a reminder of how bad things were,in his last 18days in charge Trollope lost to preston who had only 1win out of 6. then lost at home to leeds who had won 2 out of 7, beat bottom club rotherham, then managed to lose to 1 win in 9 games derby at home before playing 2 wins in 10 burton albion and getting another loss.
not sure how much improvement was required by some but i think its been massive,lots of work still to do but without NW i think the gap might already be to big.

That was a team without Hoilett, Bamba and Chamakh though. If Warnock wasn't allowed to bring them in then it isn't beyond the realms of reality that the records would have been similar. Things have improved yes, but things couldn't really have got much worse. It's just a question of 'is better good enough' and it must be said that at the moment that answer is a firm no as we sit in 23rd place. So at what point in the season do questions get asked if the management once again? Trollope was under fire after 6 or 7 as we sat in the relegation places, a similar point to where we are now under Warnock. Again playing devils advocate to an extent.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:06 pm

Forever Blue wrote:http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2016/11/29/is-neil-warnock-getting-a-free-pass/ :bluebird:

Warnock also needs to backed by Tan and has already stated nothing will really change till January.

a bit of common sense after supporters getting hysterical, after warnock was appointed, a fair share were even talking about promotion!

its fair to say that warnock will be cut far more slack than trollope or slade. people were underwhelmed by them, and the knives were sharpened whenever we lost.

in warnocks favour is the perception that he will not take any crap from tan. that, and the fact he gets worked up in the dugout. after timid yes men managers like slade and trollope, fans value that.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 pm

Is this a wind up? Warnock takes over a team who are doomed for league 1, our players didn't look interested and we were being thumped easy by teams , even our play was poor and boring the supporters lost the will to support the club was no fun any more.

Warnock comes in and players start fighting for the shirt, his own signings like Bamba and Holliet are doing the job and instead of losing every game we actually have won 2 out of 3 at home and beat forest away and lost to Newcastle and Villa away from home who are expected to get promotion and have spent multi millions.

Free pass? what bollocks , supporters actually believe we will be ok why Warnock is doing a great job with players who are not good enough bad signings by previous poor managers, lets see where are in February I personally think we will be ok
if we are still in the bottom 3 then and only then can someone question a manager who has taking on one of the worst jobs in the championship

Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:27 pm

EalingBluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

That was a team without Hoilett, Bamba and Chamakh though. If Warnock wasn't allowed to bring them in then it isn't beyond the realms of reality that the records would have been similar. Things have improved yes, but things couldn't really have got much worse. It's just a question of 'is better good enough' and it must be said that at the moment that answer is a firm no as we sit in 23rd place. So at what point in the season do questions get asked if the management once again? Trollope was under fire after 6 or 7 as we sat in the relegation places, a similar point to where we are now under Warnock. Again playing devils advocate to an extent.

i dont agree that things couldnt have got much worse, we were doing worse and losing to teams that were in pretty dreadful form.and yes NW brought players in as did trollope as did slade as did ogs etc etc.8 points from 11 games over a full season puts you on 33 or 34 points probably bottom.
im not actually a NW fan but i think something drastic needed doing to keep us up and for once the board acted sharply.
do you really think 10 points is a poor return from 7 games? myself i couldnt see where the next goal let alone win was comming from .

Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:28 pm

wez1927 wrote:This isn't warnocks team ,I think our fortunes will change in January

Agree :thumbup:

Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:16 pm

In Warnock I trust, enough said, dopey idiot. Have u not notices that most of our team except Morrison, bust a gut for this manager??! Raaaaaas, u on the wacky back or what??! Warnock is a brilliant manager who does not take a step backward, and that's all that we can ask.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:20 am

SwampCCFC wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2016/11/29/is-neil-warnock-getting-a-free-pass/ :bluebird:

a bit of common sense after supporters getting hysterical, after warnock was appointed, a fair share were even talking about promotion!

its fair to say that warnock will be cut far more slack than trollope or slade. people were underwhelmed by them, and the knives were sharpened whenever we lost.

in warnocks favour is the perception that he will not take any crap from tan. that, and the fact he gets worked up in the dugout. after timid yes men managers like slade and trollope, fans value that.

Decent reply and may explain it

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:25 am

SwampCCFC wrote:

Yes Warnock, will be given a bit more slack, But he's earned it through his past successful history and if he is left alone and given time he will def keep us up in my opinion :thumbright: :bluebird:

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:29 am

dogfound wrote:
EalingBluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

i dont agree that things couldnt have got much worse, we were doing worse and losing to teams that were in pretty dreadful form.and yes NW brought players in as did trollope as did slade as did ogs etc etc.8 points from 11 games over a full season puts you on 33 or 34 points probably bottom.
im not actually a NW fan but i think something drastic needed doing to keep us up and for once the board acted sharply.
do you really think 10 points is a poor return from 7 games? myself i couldnt see where the next goal let alone win was comming from .

A lot of those points came in the immediate part after he came in, a lot of clubs experience that. So he has 10 points in 7 games currently, at what point does that become a concern out of interest? If we lose the next 3 and it's 10 from 10?

I am of the belief we can beat anyone in this league and am not put off my club names. Blackburn went to St James' and won and id like to think we are better than them. Many teams have got results against Villa, yet we are seemingly happy to come away with a 3-1 defeat.

All my point is, is that other managers could be doing exactly the same as Warnock and at this point questions are normally asked yet due to the fact he's a management "name" people are currently blaming other things like they do when our "name" players used to play bad.

I actually think we are doing ok. But I'm not happy with our position in the league and believe our squad is one that shouldn't be down here, although it isn't perfect it is far better than many teams in this league.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:21 am

EalingBluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Would Hoilett Bamba and Chamakh have come here under Trollope? Doubt it. Also 2 of our recent loses were to Newcastle and Aston Villa 2 of last seasons relegated Premiership clubs, under Trollope loses included Preston and Burton which is no comparison to them.

It is fair to say we have stalled a little but that is not too surprising considering the mess left by previous managers and the massive cost cutting over the past 3 years. Like Annis I'm confident NW will get us to at least mid table.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:38 am

really dont get this thread.

have we improved yes
have the fans got more trust in a manager with 7 promotions than they did in a man with 20 years experience and no promotions yes this is how you get a big name by being good at something
have some of his signing actually improved the team. yes. they are supposed too.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:18 pm

I think the big difference is, one was trollopes team and they were terrible with him as the boss.....now we are seeing Warnock with trollopes team and there is a big difference, I think we will see even better results once we see Warnock with his own team

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:20 pm

Sack the c@nt. we should have beaten Newscatle and Villa with ease.

$arcasm.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:29 pm

Don't even see the point of this message thread in all fairness. Results may not have been going our way, but performance levels are through the roof where they were. Its actually enjoyable experience watching city again against the dross of the past 18 months. players are working for each other, and there is a bit of guts back in the tank.

Yes we lack a bit of creativity but at this stage in the season there is fk all we can do about that. Hoilett and Bamba have been immense and definite starters in my opinion, lets eee who else he can bring in.

For me, we now have a football manager and that's more important than anything. We have players getting stuck in, and there is more passion amongst the squad. Lets face it, the Villa game could honestly have gone either way if we scored early 2nd half. We come away with nowt, as we did as Newcastle, but with Trollope we would have had 5 past us

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:12 pm

No, we have improved I think that's obvious to see despite our league position. As others have said we've played against some of the top teams in the league since Warnock has taken over, you can see there's a belief and understanding from the players now and if he can bring some more his own players in in January then I'm sure we'll be fine come the end of the season

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:22 pm

RYANBLUE wrote:Don't even see the point of this message thread in all fairness. Results may not have been going our way, but performance levels are through the roof where they were. Its actually enjoyable experience watching city again against the dross of the past 18 months. players are working for each other, and there is a bit of guts back in the tank.

Yes we lack a bit of creativity but at this stage in the season there is fk all we can do about that. Hoilett and Bamba have been immense and definite starters in my opinion, lets eee who else he can bring in.

For me, we now have a football manager and that's more important than anything. We have players getting stuck in, and there is more passion amongst the squad. Lets face it, the Villa game could honestly have gone either way if we scored early 2nd half. We come away with nowt, as we did as Newcastle, but with Trollope we would have had 5 past us

You're right. I've got a lot of faith in Warnock. Let's be honest apart from Hoilett, Bamba and Gunnarsson what talent have we really got? Not a lot really. Lambert is steady but his best days are behind him. Our defence is okay(ish), better since Bamba has joined. Midfield is weak and we don't really have an effective strikeforce at this level.

However, this is not Warnock's team. I think when he gets going and makes effective changes our fortunes will improve. He certainly needs more time.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:58 pm

Fergy1927 wrote:Sack the c@nt. we should have beaten Newscatle and Villa with ease.

$arcasm.

trouble is it seems a few fans actually thought the turn around would be imediate and complete and we should be beating those clubs away.
Trollope gets 5pts from his first 7 games, Warnock doubles that tally but we are giving him a free pass.???????????????????????????????????????