THREE PLAYERS THAT DRIVE CITY UNDER WARNOCK

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:27 pm

The three players at the heart of Cardiff City's remarkable transformation under Neil Warnock

By Phil Smith

Warnock and Gunnarsson are both making a big impression and the Cardiff City boss hailed some superb performances at the 'spine' of his team after Forest win

Neil Warnock said he was shattered after the win over Nottingham Forest , desperate to round up his post-match duties and jump back on the Bluebirds bus.

No doubt he was more than ready to pause and reflect on seven excellent and hard earned points in the space of a week.

Every Cardiff City fan will have known how he felt. From the spine-tingling atmosphere of the Severnside derby, to the tension as they hung on against a vibrant Sheffield Wednesday, it has been exhilarating but exhausting.

Saturday evening may well have been the best of the lot, a superb win at one of Britain's most iconic grounds.

That exhaustion will also be felt by the Cardiff players, who have responded to Warnock's instructions with three impressively committed displays.

At the heart of this turnaround is the new 'spine' of Warnock's 4-1-4-1, with massive performances from some new faces, and some very familiar ones.

A number of players are emerging as Warnock's on-field generals, none more so than these three...

Sol Bamba
Of all Warnock's Bosman acquisitions, Bamba was the one who raised the most eyebrows.

Bamba didn't look to be correcting an obvious flaw, with Cardiff possessing a battery of excellent centre-backs. Nevertheless, Warnock was a long-term admirer and was desperate to finally take him under his wing.

The results have been spectacular and Bamba's importance goes far beyond his relentless defending, making tackles and heading crosses clear. The latter had been a major Achilles heel in the early season.

Bamba has also emerged as Cardiff's most vocal defender, organising his players. With Warnock attempting to instil real discipline in a short amount of time, that has been vital to the short-term success.

Cardiff have sat deep, with their defenders and midfielders stepping out one at a time to engage the opposition.

It is a real skill to do that without leaving gaps to exploit, and Bamba has been key.

His total commitment was summed up by his goal against Bristol City, when he almost smashed the net with his volley from a yard out.

Aaron Gunnarsson
Within seconds, Gunnarsson had stepped up to the half-way line and was roaring instructions, making sure the players who had gone forward were immediately back where they should be. More than anyone, Gunnarsson's whole-hearted displays have summed up the difference under Warnock.

Sticking to the basics and encouraged to play his natural way, putting commitment and discipline above technical excellence. His vocal leadership has also been very noticeable.

His thumping header to give Cardiff the lead was deserved reward for an exemplary week. His long throw routine, with Sean Morrison flicking into the danger zone from the near post, did for England and will surely do for plenty of Championship teams before long.

This is the man we've been desperate to see in a Cardiff shirt.

Peter Whittingham
Whittingham started the season taking up much the same positions as Gunnarsson, sitting in front of the defence and charged with being the Bluebirds' deep-lying playmaker.

The lack of width in the side ultimately meant that his best skills were wasted, rarely able to find a team-mate with those kind of diagonal balls for which he has no peers at this level. As such, you wondered whether Warnock would find a space for him in his revamped side. There are no doubts any more.

Pushed slightly further forward, the Bluebirds legend has helped his side create more from open play. Their counter-attacking improved no end at the City Ground and that was mainly because when they won the ball back from Forest, Whittingham was on hand in an advanced area to release the striker or one of the two wingers. The weight and precision of his distribution was absolutely immaculate and even had many of the Forest onlookers purring.

He may not be the quickest over the ground but he has also shown this week that he is more than capable of putting in a shift as part of Warnock's high intensity approach.

As for the set-pieces, they have the opposition quivering every time. A priceless asset in this division.
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: THREE PLAYERS THAT DRIVE CITY UNDER WARNOCK

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:55 am

And still there are a few on here that just can't see it when it comes to Whitts! :laughing6:
Doesn't matter what manager comes here he's still a constant.
Legend.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Reza » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:38 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:And still there are a few on here that just can't see it when it comes to Whitts! :laughing6:
Doesn't matter what manager comes here he's still a constant.
Legend.

legend is right best player we've had at city in my lifetime all 34 yrs of it
Always be blue
Reza

Postby geggs_ccfc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:02 pm

I don't rate Sean Morrison that much and personally I would prefer Manga alongside Bamba. But, since Warnock has been here Morrison has been brilliant and he fully deserves his place ahead of Manga and Connolly, next to Bamba. Bamba and Morrison are not the best footballers but when they listen to Warnock and they just concentrate on winning the ball in the air, clearing the ball away from the box and blocking shots - the easier parts of defending. They are just so effective and are quality at their jobs. Like what Warnock said about Bamba, that in the past at other clubs he has thought that he's Beckenbaur and tried doing silly things when defending. Warnock has told Bamba just do the things that you are good at and he has been doing that since he has come here and that is why he's been so good for us. I think Warnock has had a word with Morrison and told him the same things that he told Bamba. The pair look brilliant together, as does the whole of the back four, especially when you add the protection from Gunnarsson in front of them.

If we can sign 3, 4 or perhaps even 5 new players in January. With a first choice goalkeeper, a dominant central midfielder and a pacey striker to play off Lambert, being the most important positions that we need filling. Then we can DEFINITELY mount a serious Promotion push. But, we have to make sure that by January we are at the very least, in the Top 10. Under Warnock ANYTHING is possible. There have been teams in worst positions than us at this stage of the season, who have gone on to get promoted to the Premier League. Reading did it under Brian McDermott when they won the title. Crystal Palace were bottom at one stage and went on to win the Playoffs.

C'mon City, Bloooooobirds!!!!
Bloooooobirds
geggs_ccfc

Postby City Slicker » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:50 pm

geggs_ccfc wrote:I don't rate Sean Morrison that much and personally I would prefer Manga alongside Bamba. But, since Warnock has been here Morrison has been brilliant and he fully deserves his place ahead of Manga and Connolly, next to Bamba. Bamba and Morrison are not the best footballers but when they listen to Warnock and they just concentrate on winning the ball in the air, clearing the ball away from the box and blocking shots - the easier parts of defending. They are just so effective and are quality at their jobs. Like what Warnock said about Bamba, that in the past at other clubs he has thought that he's Beckenbaur and tried doing silly things when defending. Warnock has told Bamba just do the things that you are good at and he has been doing that since he has come here and that is why he's been so good for us. I think Warnock has had a word with Morrison and told him the same things that he told Bamba. The pair look brilliant together, as does the whole of the back four, especially when you add the protection from Gunnarsson in front of them.

If we can sign 3, 4 or perhaps even 5 new players in January. With a first choice goalkeeper, a dominant central midfielder and a pacey striker to play off Lambert, being the most important positions that we need filling. Then we can DEFINITELY mount a serious Promotion push. But, we have to make sure that by January we are at the very least, in the Top 10. Under Warnock ANYTHING is possible. There have been teams in worst positions than us at this stage of the season, who have gone on to get promoted to the Premier League. Reading did it under Brian McDermott when they won the title. Crystal Palace were bottom at one stage and went on to win the Playoffs.

C'mon City, Bloooooobirds!!!!

Good post! Agree about Morrison, I've been sceptical about him in the past but he fully justifies his place on his current form. His aerial threat at set pieces is very useful too :thumbup:
City Slicker

Postby DandoCCFC » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:51 pm

2 goals and 1 assist ain't it in 3 games under Warnock?

Whittingham is my favourite player and the best I seen here, really hope he gets to the 100 goals mark. :D

Gunnarsson is a gutsy player and I think he is getting better at it under Warnock, he usually gives away 3-5 fouls away a game and they are all down to him being bad at reading the game and getting overrun usually, he is not the best passer or shooter but he is good at breaking play up and being an engine in our half chasing players down.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Return to General Chat