Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' LONG WAY OFF THE FINISHED ARTICLE '

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:56 am

Neil Warnock: Cardiff City boss plays down promotion push.

BBC

Sunday October 23rd

IMG_1522.JPG

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock has warned against rising expectations, insisting his Bluebirds side are a long way from the finished article.

Warnock's men climbed out of the Championship bottom three with a 2-1 win away at Nottingham Forest.

The result made it seven points from Warnock's three games in charge, but he talked down a promotion push.

"I was asked about promotion, but I said 'let's get out the bottom three first'," Warnock said.

"We do get carried away. We are nowhere near the finished article, but we've got a genuine bunch of players and the fans are getting behind us.

"We have worked hard for the results. To get seven points from three games is a tribute to the whole staff really. We've worked hard and the lads have taken it on board, it's not a fluke."

Goals from Aron Gunnarsson and Joe Ralls put the visitors in charge against 10-man Forest, who had Thomas Lam sent off, but there was late drama when Gunnarsson was judged to have fouled Henri Lansbury who converted from the spot.

"The referee [Andy Woolmer] is a good one, but I think it was a soft penalty. I think he just got a bit bored and wanted to make it a bit more exciting for the last few minutes," Warnock continued.

"It was the first time I'd seen them away from home and I asked for a performance. I'm so disappointed not to have a clean sheet."

Junior Hoilett was taken off with an injury which is not thought to be serious, but striker Ricky Lambert came off in the first half after receiving a bad cut to his shin.

Warnock said he feared Lambert might be out for a while, but was awaiting further tests on the 34-year-old former England international.

"It looked horrific. I didn't want the lads to look at it at half-time," the Bluebirds boss said.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' LONG WAY OFF THE FINISHED ARTICLE '

Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:51 am

I should say we are nowhere near the finished article. We were on the back foot by a team of 10 players who I must say, were up there with the worse team we have played for many a year. People saying it was a professional performance, that is a smokescreen. In the cold light of day, we run out of ideas, we lost the midfield and have a right back who would not get into a Giants grave team! Rant over. :bluebird:

Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:05 am

On times it's hard not to let yourself get carried away with 'I wonder how far we could go this season?' Or 'Could we actually make the playoffs this season? Or 'could we even somehow get promoted this season?' Thoughts enter my mind all the time but it's so important not to forget where we were and where we've come from this season....that is, basically the bottom of the pile/league! Surviving relegation is still of huge importance and to get away from the bottom 3 (as far as possible) is the next most important thing in my mind (and probably many others). It's only been 3 games since Warnock has arrived and look at the results....incredible turnaround compared with a month or so ago. He has worked wonders but we still have only played 3 games and anything could happen...that also means losing some games too! But I believe in Warnock and have faith that we won't loose too many lol! :bluescarf: Yes I still have dreams and hopes for us this season next season and so on but for me this season reaching the top half of the table would be a MASSIVE achievement and that for me would be satisfying enough. I agree we must not get too carried away with rising expectation and if the team loose a game or two, stick with them and get behind them to help them get back to winning ways again. For now,,,I'm just happy we are out of the bottom 3 and my next hope is to climb the table even if it's very slowly! :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:07 am

Neath Bluebird wrote:I should say we are nowhere near the finished article. We were on the back foot by a team of 10 players who I must say, were up there with the worse team we have played for many a year. People saying it was a professional performance, that is a smokescreen. In the cold light of day, we run out of ideas, we lost the midfield and have a right back who would not get into a Giants grave team! Rant over. :bluebird:

You're a glass half empty person, aren't you! :bluebird:

Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:45 am

The OP is right, we are a long way off the finished article. That is, if the finished article is a team challenging for promotion and playing classy football. But obviously compared to where we've been over the past 18 months or so, we've already made great strides forward in a very short period of time.

There are obvious weaknesses in the team in midfield and up front but I think we seem to have a solid back 5 and a half now (including Gunnarsson). Progress takes time but I'm hoping by January, Warnock will strengthen us by including at least one quality midfield general and at least one proven goalscorer up front. At this stage it's having belief in the manager's ability to make improvements and he hasn't disappointed thus far :thumbup:

Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:24 am

Bollocks this league is all about blood and thunder. Belief is the biggest weapon any team can have and if that gets instilled into our players then anything is possible. :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:31 am

Neath Bluebird wrote:I should say we are nowhere near the finished article. We were on the back foot by a team of 10 players who I must say, were up there with the worse team we have played for many a year. People saying it was a professional performance, that is a smokescreen. In the cold light of day, we run out of ideas, we lost the midfield and have a right back who would not get into a Giants grave team! Rant over. :bluebird:

A few weeks ago we couldn't even score a goal, let alone compete or win a football match. Yes we should have closed it out, but the fact we now have fans ranting that we didn't win by 4 or 5 shows how far we have come in 3 weeks. That will come, for now am happy just to see my team playing for the shirt. Great result. :thumbup:

Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:32 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Warnock has earmarked the players he wants and probably their all but signed , just waiting for January.
Just an afterthought remember after the Euros, people on here were hoping that we would sell Gunnarsson . I know I was one of them , just shows what I know. Also shows how players perform for a good manager, and how good managers can get players playing above their selves.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:33 am

It's all about grinding out results,getting as far off the relegation zone as possible,get to the January transfer window and see see what happens after that.Some will go in the window and some will come in,exciting times ahead!

Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:36 am

nojac wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Warnock has earmarked the players he wants and probably their all but signed , just waiting for January.
Just an afterthought remember after the Euros, people on here were hoping that we would sell Gunnarsson . I know I was one of them , just shows what I know. Also shows how players perform for a good manager, and how good managers can get players playing above their selves.

Same here I was hoping those rumours about Fulham and others were true and someone would take him off our hands. He has definitely improved since NW arrived but based on his club form from last season and the start of this one, if he had been sold then it would have the correct decision for that the time.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:41 am

bluebird58 wrote:

People tend to suceed because their mental attitudes allow them to meet obstacles, set backs and temporary failures with a new resolve to keep trying, or to try something different, until they succeed. That's what breeds success.

The rest on the other hand, expect things to be difficult, have already accepted that they might not succeed, and they are easily discouraged when things don’t go their way. This attitude allows them to justify and accept the results they get.

If you are serious about changing your career and your life, then you have to get in the practice of working on your mental attitude first. To be a winner you have to to powerfully change your ways of thinking to permanently change your results, Warnock is doing that. If you constantly look for negatives and ignore the positives you may as well be constantly looking for defeat. If you try hard enough you will keep finding it. :thumbright:

Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:26 am

lyndipops wrote:
bluebird58 wrote:

People tend to suceed because their mental attitudes allow them to meet obstacles, set backs and temporary failures with a new resolve to keep trying, or to try something different, until they succeed. That's what breeds success.

The rest on the other hand, expect things to be difficult, have already accepted that they might not succeed, and they are easily discouraged when things don’t go their way. This attitude allows them to justify and accept the results they get.

If you are serious about changing your career and your life, then you have to get in the practice of working on your mental attitude first. To be a winner you have to to powerfully change your ways of thinking to permanently change your results, Warnock is doing that. If you constantly look for negatives and ignore the positives you may as well be constantly looking for defeat. If you try hard enough you will keep finding it. :thumbright:

What a great little post :thumbup:

Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:31 am

That team of players are capable of finishing in the top 6, we have internationals throughout the squad, the big question is can we get 15 goals from any of our strikers? if we could then the rest of the team is more than adequate to compete at the top end in this league. Mental attitude is the number one element in this league and Warnock has it in abundance :bluescarf:

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:25 am

The way we now play, we are always going to have less possession than the opposition as we attack quickly and stand a good chance of giving possession straight back. Shots on goal stats are going up that's the main thing.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:34 am

Hhhmmmmmmmm the worst team we've played for many years, and the last week I've heard Bristol City weren't very good, and I didn't think Sheffield Wednesday were very good, funny how when they play us people think they are no good ???

Could it be that we make they look poor I wonder ??!

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:36 am

We created more chances yesterday, than Trollope created all season ????

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:49 am

Stringfellow wrote:

A few weeks ago we couldn't even score a goal, let alone compete or win a football match. Yes we should have closed it out, but the fact we now have fans ranting that we didn't win by 4 or 5 shows how far we have come in 3 weeks. That will come, for now am happy just to see my team playing for the shirt. Great result. :thumbup:

Good point Stringfellow. I totally agree. This is the most excited i have been since we got hammered in the Premier League.